U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:46 PM

576 posts, read 444,270 times

Advertisements

I don't think fleas, I see no evidence of them in my house or on my cats. I'm thinking chiggers, but now it seems more like generalized itching, not so much bites. So I'm thinking I've had a systemic reaction to whatever it was that bit. Next step -- call to my primary care physician resulting in a radical cash-ectomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:04 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,067,962 times
Not horse fly - they have a "bayonet" with which they basically stab you, or the unfortunate horse. I've had one of those monsters nail me in the thigh. I was on my horse who it was attacking and when I went after the fly, it landed on my thigh and did its thing. Nothing like it - you would know and would have been in screaming pain.

I agree with chiggers or perhaps scabies. A friend suffered terribly with scabies until she got to the doctor. If that's it, the bites won't improve on their own.

Off to the doctor it is, I think.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:12 PM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I don't think fleas, I see no evidence of them in my house or on my cats. I'm thinking chiggers, but now it seems more like generalized itching, not so much bites. So I'm thinking I've had a systemic reaction to whatever it was that bit. Next step -- call to my primary care physician resulting in a radical cash-ectomy.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out

Old 04-26-2019, 04:52 PM

695 posts, read 206,526 times
OP- did you touch any hay? There is a very common mite that is found in hay, straw etc. did the bite/ rash look like this- Pyemotes (Pymotes) Mite Identification | Straw Itch Mites | Oak Leaf Gall Itch Mite. Produces a red rash that Itches terribly. A hazard of living on farms, around barns etc.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
OP- did you touch any hay? There is a very common mite that is found in hay, straw etc. did the bite/ rash look like this- Pyemotes (Pymotes) Mite Identification | Straw Itch Mites | Oak Leaf Gall Itch Mite. Produces a red rash that Itches terribly. A hazard of living on farms, around barns etc.
Good thought. I've never had them but I know people who have, as well as horses. The horses became so itchy they'd rub their bodies hairless and raw - it's that intense - before the owners had a chance to intervene. Hope the OP comes back and gives us the verdict.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:18 AM

576 posts, read 444,270 times
Update:

@movinon: I didn't touch hay, but I was walking on a barn floor covered with it and was filling horse stalls with a rake. I'm thinking it was either that or chigger bites. It started to get better after about a month. I do seem to have some lingering after-effects above and beyond red marks all over my legs that will hopefully fade in time. I seem to have become hypersensitive to all outdoor irritants. Whether I'm pulling weeds, or even sometimes just being outdoors, or sometimes out of nothing, I'll start to itch, and it results in giant red patches with tendrils coming off of them as if something is burrowing and irritating its way. Cerave anti-itch cream (at around $27/jar -- ouch!!) helps this, and a half hour later, the skin is normal. And it looks like some of the bites are going to become dermatofibromas, which are permanent. I've had one for years that started as an insect bite.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the update!

A couple of thoughts . . . were you wearing long pants or shorts? If shorts, some of the hay stems could have touched you and set off a systemic reaction. Even the hay dust or pollen if the hay had heads (like Orchard Grass does when it's headed-up) can cause a terrible allergic reaction. I'm very allergic to Orchard Grass (the specific hay, not just any old grass growing in an orchard) to the point that I had to wear long sleeves, gloves, long pants tucked into high socks, shoes, hat or full head scarf, safety glasses and - worst of all - a full-blown respirator mask every time I wanted to feed the horses. If I didn't I'd get terrible rashes, similar to yours, even in areas that hadn't actually touched the hay. I'd also start wheezing. Yes, I've been tested by the immunologist and that's what it was. Too bad since Orchard Grass is one of the best hays for horses. I stopped feeding Orchard Grass as a result but finished up the three tons of it that I'd purchased. There were some other hays that caused trouble too but nothing like the Orchard Grass.

My other thought . . . sometimes the cause of a reaction can be something seemingly unrelated to your situation when you break out/itch. In other words your skin is already sensitized (unbeknownst to you) and then you get warm, or in the sun, and suddenly start itching/breaking out in a rash. I'm thinking maybe your laundry soap, or body wash/soap, lotions, sunscreen. The heat generated by your body when you're outdoors will set off whatever is lurking on your skin.

One more thing . . . I have to be super careful when I'm pulling weeds or pruning to not let any of the vegetation touch my skin. The saps/juices from the vegetation can set me off just by casual contact. I think you're on to something when you say that you've become hypersensitive to all outdoor irritants.

Did you ever get in to see a medical professional? I'd love to know what they thought. Do you have a history of allergic or sensitivity contact allergies? I'm sure you'd like to know the whys and wherefores of what's going on so you can avoid them. I know I would.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

3,534 posts, read 2,379,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I do seem to have some lingering after-effects above and beyond red marks all over my legs that will hopefully fade in time. I seem to have become hypersensitive to all outdoor irritants. Whether I'm pulling weeds, or even sometimes just being outdoors, or sometimes out of nothing, I'll start to itch, and it results in giant red patches with tendrils coming off of them as if something is burrowing and irritating its way.
This sounds like allergies to me. You could try OTC allergy meds, there are many. Zytec, Claritin, Allegra etc or the old standby Benedryl would work. You could also be tested for allergies to find exactly what could be causing it. The itching is almost a sure sign of that as well as the red blotches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness