U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 AM

59 posts, read 15,260 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried those $600 hearing aids they are advertising on tv lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:56 AM

26,149 posts, read 5,422,906 times
No...but I know someone who bought hers at Costco for a reduced price over the hearing aid stores and has been very happy with them.

I'd beware of tv ads.....

Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,525,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Scott View Post
Anyone tried those $600 hearing aids they are advertising on tv lately?
I know someone who just bought this type of hearing aid. She said that they make things louder, but, she still has a problem with background noise. She finds them useful - but, they do not correct your hearing compared to more expensive hearing aids. It really depends upon your specific type of hearing loss as to how useful you will find less expensive hearing aids.

My hearing loss involves losing 60% of high frequency, 40% of medium frequency and my low frequency hearing is almost normal. So, just making the sound for all frequencies louder does not help me at all to understanding speech, because, the low frequency would be too loud and the high frequency would not be loud enough. It might work for some people, but, not for my type of hearing loss.

I did invest in hearing aids that are programmed to increase the volume of specific frequencies so that each frequency is matched to normal hearing. So, the software increases the high frequency sounds much more than the mid frequency and there is almost no increase of the low frequency sounds. My hearing using the hearing aids is now 96 percent of normal hearing.

As a test when testing the programmed hearing aids, closing my eyes, I was asked to answer questions while the person created background noise be rattling a sheet of paper and talking to me as he moved further and further away from me. I could answer his questions, did not hear any background noise, could tell the direction from where his voice was coming and it turned out he had walked out of the room and 15 feet down the hallway!

Without the hearing aids, with no background noise and the tester 3 feet away from me ( holding a piece of paper in front of his mouth so I could not read his lips) I could not make out words that required being able to hear the higher pitch sounds.

Love my hearing aids and love Bluetooth and the app on my smartphone that automatically adjusts the hearing aid volume based upon the noise level in a location. I have had them for 18 months and they were worth every penny of the $5800 cost.

It really depends upon your type of hearing loss as to what will work best for you. Also, your hearing loss changes over time and you will need to have your hearing retested each year and have the software reprogrammed each year. The $5800 up front cost covers not only minor repairs if needed, but, also reprogramming the hearing aids for as long as I own them. So, be sure you are comparing the cost over the long term.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:14 AM

71,305 posts, read 82,699,575 times
Hubby bought his from an add in the paper (similar) and was very happy with them. I say was, cause the cat got them and they were lost forever. I think he is about to get another pair but pay more attention to where he leaves them. He had a $3000 set a few years ago and lost one while raking leaves and the other when he got off a cruise ship on a tour. How many ways can you say careless? Of maybe it was anything to keep form having to wear them?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:49 AM

768 posts, read 482,242 times
WOW, you folks are paying huge amounts for hearing aids.

Here in Ontario, Canada, the Provincial Health Ministry pays the first $ 500 on each aid, so $1000 for a pair. The remainder is paid by the patient, which in my case was $900 for the pair at Costco. So $1900 in total, for the most advanced design with wireless phone connection and a programed memory feature. And they threw in 24 batteries and 24 ear piece replacements, for free.

BTW I just picked up my two new pairs of glasses at Costco. $250 for the pair.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 PM

39,262 posts, read 47,051,175 times
Hearing aids are one of the highest profit margin items on the market today. They cost less than $50.00 a pair to make. It's those full page ads, mailed flyers and high commissions paid to sales people that drive up the cost to the consumer.

Old Today, 11:48 AM

1 posts
I would be careful with ads and such things. Plus I feel like you should see an audiologist and see exactly what your ears need. Not all hearing aids work for everyone. So I think seeing a professional would probably save you some money in the long run.

Old Today, 01:50 PM

71,305 posts, read 82,699,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khealthymommy View Post
I would be careful with ads and such things. Plus I feel like you should see an audiologist and see exactly what your ears need. Not all hearing aids work for everyone. So I think seeing a professional would probably save you some money in the long run.
sounds like a good idea, but after you see the audiologist, one can decide what action they want to take if they do need hearing aids. As I mentioned hubby spent thousand of dollars on his. When he lost them, he decided to try the old cheap ones and he swears in his case they worked just as well. The good thing is, they are 100% returnable if they do not work. I think you have 30 days or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness