U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 AM

496 posts, read 607,329 times

Advertisements

Karen, I'm happy for you that you seem to be getting some relief. I've had so many injections in various joints (including knees) that I've lost count. I've had several cortisone and Synvisc (Hyaluronic acid) injections in my left knee. I've also had two meniscus surgeries and have been told my several ortho doctors that eventually I'll need a knee replacement. None of the injections has ever helped my knee pain. The only cortisone shot that helped anything was when I had an inflamed bursa. A cortisone shot was the only thing that finally got the swelling down.

I had better success with cortisone shots in my shoulder and mixed results with injections in my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 AM

17,511 posts, read 10,875,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So I'm leaving on Sunday May 12th to go to the UK with my students and did NOT want to repeat last year's experience in Europe (preparing for this year's trip), which was that I could not walk without pain -- which did not work well at my seminar in France, which required hours of walking every day (they hadn't told us that in advance ).

I finally gave up on the pain getting better and went (back) to my doctor. They did x-rays and found that I have "advanced osteoarthritis" in my left knee. (My right knee is generally OK for now.) I have a family history of arthritis AND ran on pavement for 20 years (the best thing EVER for my mental health, but not for my knees ), so the diagnosis was not surprising.

Over the past week or two, the pain had been excruciating, especially at night -- I would take 4 ibuprofen tablets at "lights out," then wake up 4-5 hours later because I felt like someone was stabbing my knee with a knife. Yes, HORRIBLE, INTENSE pain while SLEEPING!! Needless to say it was frustrating beyond belief.

Anyway, I got the cortisone shot yesterday morning (my PA was great -- I felt a tiny bit of pressure as the needle went in but otherwise I didn't feel the shot at all). Yesterday evening I was walking downstairs and realized I could bend my left knee without pain (MUCH greater range of motion). Last night I woke up in the middle of the night ONLY because I had to go to the bathroom -- the stabbing pain was absent. So the cortisone shot is already working.

From what I've read and what my PA said, I can expect a bit more improvement over the next couple of days. I don't want to get my hopes up as I DO still have some pain, but it's already much better than it was pre-shot. What I'm hoping for is enough lessening of pain so that I can easily do housework, do some gardening, walk, bike, and do other exercises because for me, that is THE best weight control "method" (my everyday diet is pretty good already).

I am curious as to what others' experiences have been RIGHT AFTER the shot and over the next few weeks? (And PLEASE, let's not have this degenerate into a discussion of how bad "traditional medicine" is or how doctors are only out for themselves etc.!) Thanks in advance!

I find your post interesting and timely, as I woke up yesterday with a sharp pain in my right knee that has gotten worse. It has been slightly there for a few weeks, but was manageable and better as the day went on. Now it is not. So, I made an appointment this morning with a joint Dr who did some arm surgery on me years ago.

As for the shot in the knee, my one son was having knee pain and went to the same Dr I am seeing. They gave him a steroid shot, or several, to that knee, and it has been months without any reoccurrence of the pain. Within a couple of days of the shot, he was fine. However, he is diabetic, and the shot drove his numbers crazy, but that went away too.

So, I am hoping I have the same good results you did, and hope yours continues to be better too.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 AM

71,214 posts, read 82,607,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Karen,
I've had two cortisone shots over the past couple months. I'm 64 and have been dealing with this torn meniscus issue since I was 50. My situation has similarities to yours, but also some differences. My goal was to prepare for and play in a charity basketball game. I found a physical medicine doctor who ordered an x-ray and gave me a cortisone injection for what he said was bursitis in my knee. I have mild arthritis and a torn meniscus, but he thought bursitis was causing most of my pain. He also referred me a sports medicine doctor who he said did a treatment that he did not do. The first injection did nothing so I had the appointment with the second doctor. It seemed that it was a referral for PRP injections. He said I did not have bursitis and since I did not want to go forward with the PRP, he suggested cortisone and Euflexxa at the same time. He said my arthritis was not that bad. He drained 50cc of fluid from the knee and injection it using an ultrasound machine. This was on a Thursday and he did not want me to do any strenuous exercise until the following Monday.

The knee felt good over the weekend. I played basketball that Monday and had pain afterwards. I tried running later that week and could not run. The following week I played basketball Monday, Tuesday, and had the charity game on Thursday. The game was full court on a college court. It has been a week and my knee is still hurting.

My thoughts comparing to your situation. I think the cortisone would have lasted a lot longer if I had not pushed it, The cortisone/Euflexxa gave me some immediate relief. I think draining the fluid from my knee also helped. All of this was temporary however. I think if you take it easy on your knee, you will delay the pain from returning for a longer period of time. They say the cortisone injections are not good for your joints but when the only alternative is a knee replacement, what options do you have? At 64, I'm satisfied to get a little more time playing basketball, etc. That may have been my last full court game but it was worth it.

BTW, I'm also interested in thoughts on stem cell/PRP.
I know 3 people who have had stem cell: our son in law: it worked well using his own cells and he was in his late 40s. The other two have bee older friends and the results were not good, not good at all.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 AM

15,102 posts, read 19,507,153 times
About 15 years ago, when I had a knee that was so painful I couldnt walk, an ortho doc gave me a cocktail steroid/painkiller shot. The shot was very uncomfortable but the pain relief was immediate. I had to go back in two weeks for another shot because the knee became painful again and I havent had any pain at all since then.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 628,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am curious as to what others' experiences have been RIGHT AFTER the shot and over the next few weeks? (And PLEASE, let's not have this degenerate into a discussion of how bad "traditional medicine" is or how doctors are only out for themselves etc.!) Thanks in advance!
I had a meniscus tear a couple of years ago and did a shot while I was waiting for surgery.

IMO it's nothing but a band-aid.. It will mask the pain for around a week or so, and then wear off. In my case once I was pain free from it I went back to my normal routine and didn't think about it.. But like I said, the shot wore off in a week and I was in even more pain than I was before because I was "using" my knee more than I had been.

Find out what is wrong with your knee and have it fixed. The cortisone shot won't fix it..

Old 05-04-2019, 11:29 AM

7,108 posts, read 12,426,670 times
Thanks so much for the additional replies! I have found them to mostly very helpful.

One quick thing in response to the poster right above this post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I had a meniscus tear a couple of years ago and did a shot while I was waiting for surgery.

IMO it's nothing but a band-aid.. It will mask the pain for around a week or so, and then wear off. In my case once I was pain free from it I went back to my normal routine and didn't think about it.. But like I said, the shot wore off in a week and I was in even more pain than I was before because I was "using" my knee more than I had been.

Find out what is wrong with your knee and have it fixed. The cortisone shot won't fix it..
Um, I DID find out what is wrong -- as I wrote in the OP, I have advanced osteoarthritis in my left knee (probably the beginning of it in my right knee too, but that leg is usually OK). The only "cure" would be a knee replacement, and I am clearly headed in that direction, but I would like to postpone it as long as I can.

Yes, the cortisone shot is a band-aid in a sense, but many people get many MONTHS of pain-free daily living with them -- so it was certainly worth a shot.

Here's my update: it's now been a bit over 3 days and the overnight pain -- which was the WORST pain I had, a stabbing pain that just went on and on and on -- is totally gone. The range of movement in my left knee has also improved tremendously (as I wrote in the OP about walking down the stairs). That's the good news. The bad is that simply getting up from sitting or lying down (even if only for a few minutes) is still painful -- the pain doesn't last forever, of course, but I definitely hobble for a minute or two until I am able to walk ALMOST normally. So that is really, really, really troubling -- it has not improved AT ALL.

I leave for the UK with my students one week from tomorrow, and I am dreading it. I will start working with a physical therapist a few days after I get back -- I hope that helps me improve as well.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 05-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: add note about physical therapy

Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 AM

4,934 posts, read 10,913,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

No one expects or at least should expect a cortisone shot for osteoarthritis of the knee or meniscal injury to "fix anything"....

That doesn't make the shot worthless...

There is no "fix" for osteoarthritis, cartilage that is gone is gone for good....

Treatments are therefore directed at symptom management to allow people to remain active for as long as possible. Cortisone injections are one of those "treatments" and some people benefit greatly from them others not so much....

You had a knee issue that could be "fixed"....not everyone is so lucky...

Old 05-04-2019, 07:11 PM

17,511 posts, read 10,875,316 times
A little update on my sore knee that might be helpful to the OP and to others. My sore knee became unbearable, I could not walk two steps and hobbled around for the past couple of days. I thought rest would help, so I took off work, still in a lot of pain when walking.

The soonest appointment the Joint Implant surgery group had was on 5/17, and I will go to that, but I decided today that I couldn't stand this pain for the next two weeks, so I went to Urgent Care. They gave me a prescription for Prednisolone and I have taken the first 3 pills out of 6 I am to take today (then 5 tomorrow, 4 the next day, etc)

My pain is down to about 25% of what it was, and I am actually able to walk around. Still some pain, but nothing, compared to what I was having. Hope this helps someone else out.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:33 AM

7,108 posts, read 12,426,670 times
Default the horrendous overnight stabbing pain is back

Came back last night, or should I say, 1:38 a.m. I took more ibuprofen and was able to sleep for 3 more hours.

I am SO disappointed, I just want to stay in bed and cry. So many others have gotten relief from those shots that I had my hopes up, especially after the overnight stabbing pain disappeared (for 3 whole nights) -- but my trip is in 1 week and I will be in pain for all of it.

Sorry for the miserable message, I'm just feeling sorry for myself ...

Old 05-05-2019, 05:00 AM

15,102 posts, read 19,507,153 times
I'm so sorry, Karen. You may need a 2nd shot before you leave. I did get immediate relief after the 1st shot, although that shot hurt like blazes (I almost decked the ortho doc as he was injecting me because it hurt so badly) but I needed a 2nd shot a little while later. That 2nd shot has lasted for many years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness