U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:34 AM

71,309 posts, read 82,699,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Thanks so much for the additional replies! I have found them to mostly very helpful.

One quick thing in response to the poster right above this post ...

Um, I DID find out what is wrong -- as I wrote in the OP, I have advanced osteoarthritis in my left knee (probably the beginning of it in my right knee too, but that leg is usually OK). The only "cure" would be a knee replacement, and I am clearly headed in that direction, but I would like to postpone it as long as I can.

Yes, the cortisone shot is a band-aid in a sense, but many people get many MONTHS of pain-free daily living with them -- so it was certainly worth a shot.

Here's my update: it's now been a bit over 3 days and the overnight pain -- which was the WORST pain I had, a stabbing pain that just went on and on and on -- is totally gone. The range of movement in my left knee has also improved tremendously (as I wrote in the OP about walking down the stairs). That's the good news. The bad is that simply getting up from sitting or lying down (even if only for a few minutes) is still painful -- the pain doesn't last forever, of course, but I definitely hobble for a minute or two until I am able to walk ALMOST normally. So that is really, really, really troubling -- it has not improved AT ALL.

I leave for the UK with my students one week from tomorrow, and I am dreading it. I will start working with a physical therapist a few days after I get back -- I hope that helps me improve as well.
Have a great experience with your students and don't worry too much. The shot should last until you get back. Then, you will have to face the problem as I am sure you know. Maybe you can consider surgery in a few months. You will still have time to heal before school starts again or even hold off on the surgery until maybe, next summer. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Came back last night, or should I say, 1:38 a.m. I took more ibuprofen and was able to sleep for 3 more hours.

I am SO disappointed, I just want to stay in bed and cry. So many others have gotten relief from those shots that I had my hopes up, especially after the overnight stabbing pain disappeared (for 3 whole nights) -- but my trip is in 1 week and I will be in pain for all of it.

Sorry for the miserable message, I'm just feeling sorry for myself ...
you have every right to feel sorry for yourself. What a disappointment. I know how I felt when my knee was bad and it doesn't sound like it was nearly as bad as yours. In fact I think one reason I healed so quickly after surgery was, I decided to go ahead with knee replacement before it got that bad. As the doctor said, it is elective surgery. You will need surgery sooner or later, but it will be up to you to decide when. I took hi at his word and when it started waking me up at night or giving out on me when walking I let him know it was time.

TFW: I think you have to wait a few months before you can have another shot. At least I did.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 12,447,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm so sorry, Karen. You may need a 2nd shot before you leave. I did get immediate relief after the 1st shot, although that shot hurt like blazes (I almost decked the ortho doc as he was injecting me because it hurt so badly) but I needed a 2nd shot a little while later. That 2nd shot has lasted for many years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you have every right to feel sorry for yourself. What a disappointment. I know how I felt when my knee was bad and it doesn't sound like it was nearly as bad as yours. In fact I think one reason I healed so quickly after surgery was, I decided to go ahead with knee replacement before it got that bad. As the doctor said, it is elective surgery. You will need surgery sooner or later, but it will be up to you to decide when. I took hi at his word and when it started waking me up at night or giving out on me when walking I let him know it was time.

TFW: I think you have to wait a few months before you can have another shot. At least I did.
Thank you both for the quick and very kind replies. I am definitely going to call the Orthopedics department tomorrow morning and let them know my poor results. I suspect they will NOT give me another shot at this point, but I will ask if there are any other options.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:16 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,531,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
y...TFW: I think you have to wait a few months before you can have another shot. At least I did.

I was able to get my 2nd shot two weeks after the first one. It must depend on what's the the shot (mine was a cortisone and pain killer combo) or maybe it depends on the doctor.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 AM

25 posts, read 9,813 times
The cortizone shots are hit or miss with people. I've had them and some worked in areas of my body while others did not. I also have a bum left knee with arthritis. Since I've been taking Turmeric (link below) it has really helped my knee pain. While your issue appears more severe than mine, it may not work for you, but, it's worth a try. I noticed a difference when I stopped taking the Turmeric. It's helped my DH as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Curcuminoids-...E179R9ZS4&th=1

Old 05-05-2019, 04:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 734,865 times
My left knee swelled up 10 years ago while I was hiking. I was away from home and couldn't get good medical care outside of an emergency room (and paying cash) until a few weeks later. I got several cortisone shots in that knee over the next year, each one doing less good than the previous. Doctors differed on whether meniscus surgery was the best option. Most thought I should have a turn meniscus clipped, but one was adamant that no this was arthritis and I should not have surgery. After reading all i could I decided to wait, and still am. There is now little or no cartilage left in the medial compartment of that knee, which sometimes hurts but not terribly so. I will probably need a replacement but am in no rush. My hikings is greatly reduced but I still ride bike 20-30 miles regularly.

13 months ago my right knee became so freakin painful I could barely walk. Doctor said I needed surgery to clean up the meniscus. I said give me a cortisone shot and except for a couple of mild pain twangs it has been great ever since.

Moral of the story: The effect of a single cortisone shot will vary depending on things you can't accurately predict. Sometimes it dos nothing and sometimes its all you need. You just don't want to get more than several per year, and if you need that many year after year surgery may be in order.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I was able to get my 2nd shot two weeks after the first one. It must depend on what's the the shot (mine was a cortisone and pain killer combo) or maybe it depends on the doctor.
I am sure you are right about the doctor and what the shot is. Mine was only cortisone the first time but could not have gotten a repeat in just 2 weeks. I will add our doctor is very conservative. Whit medical pot being now legal in our state I am 95% sure he will not approve of using it. BTW I do love him, but he is also conservative maybe to a fault.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM

6,493 posts, read 2,592,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
My left knee swelled up 10 years ago while I was hiking. I was away from home and couldn't get good medical care outside of an emergency room (and paying cash) until a few weeks later. I got several cortisone shots in that knee over the next year, each one doing less good than the previous. Doctors differed on whether meniscus surgery was the best option. Most thought I should have a turn meniscus clipped, but one was adamant that no this was arthritis and I should not have surgery. After reading all i could I decided to wait, and still am. There is now little or no cartilage left in the medial compartment of that knee, which sometimes hurts but not terribly so. I will probably need a replacement but am in no rush. My hikings is greatly reduced but I still ride bike 20-30 miles regularly.

13 months ago my right knee became so freakin painful I could barely walk. Doctor said I needed surgery to clean up the meniscus. I said give me a cortisone shot and except for a couple of mild pain twangs it has been great ever since.

Moral of the story: The effect of a single cortisone shot will vary depending on things you can't accurately predict. Sometimes it dos nothing and sometimes its all you need. You just don't want to get more than several per year, and if you need that many year after year surgery may be in order.
The OP has osteoarthritis, not a meniscus injury.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,570,871 times
If I am traveling and on my feet a lot, I take ibuprofen and it is very effective. I never take it on an empty stomach though. This gets me by until I can give my knee a break and it kind of resets after a period of time. After I am done traveling, I back off on the ibuprofen and try not to take any, or take only one or two a day.

My do told me a cortisone shot is very effective at reducing arthritis inflammation, but it would not help a torn meniscus. My right knee benefited greatly from a cortisone shot and my right knee had a torn meniscus. My left knee, so far, hasn't really benefited much from cortisone shots and his guess is that I have a torn meniscus. It is soon coming up on the one year mark from the start of the issue. Meniscus tears in my right knee have taken 9 months to a year for the pain to subside. I have had no right knee pain for several years. If both knees had the pain simultaneously, I would be looking for a faster solution.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 AM

3,906 posts, read 2,818,074 times
I've had a number of cortisone shots - one in each elbow and now two in my ever-aching left shoulder. My experience has been the same with each - nearly instant relief within seconds of the shot. Pain was gone or at least minimal for about 1-2 months and it would gradually return.

They aren't a solution but they will allow you to get some much needed relief from pain. And if you're like me and don't live a sedentary lifestyle, they can be lifesavers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness