Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk016 View Post
The cortizone shots are hit or miss with people. I've had them and some worked in areas of my body while others did not. I also have a bum left knee with arthritis. Since I've been taking Turmeric (link below) it has really helped my knee pain. While your issue appears more severe than mine, it may not work for you, but, it's worth a try. I noticed a difference when I stopped taking the Turmeric. It's helped my DH as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Curcuminoids-...E179R9ZS4&th=1
I would also second the turmeric advice. While it's not anywhere near as instant relief as a cortisone shot, it has definitely helped me with inflammation. I do notice a difference when I'm off of turmeric vs. taking it. Might be worth a shot as an ongoing treatment for your knee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk016 View Post
The cortizone shots are hit or miss with people. I've had them and some worked in areas of my body while others did not. I also have a bum left knee with arthritis. Since I've been taking Turmeric (link below) it has really helped my knee pain. While your issue appears more severe than mine, it may not work for you, but, it's worth a try. I noticed a difference when I stopped taking the Turmeric. It's helped my DH as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Curcuminoids-...E179R9ZS4&th=1
I started taking turmeric/curcumin three years ago. I ordered it for my wife who had recently been diagnosed with cancer. I was hearing a lot of positive things about turmeric at the time. I took it for three years up until recently. I really didn't notice any benefit from it. The reports on turmeric seem much less promising today due to absorption issues. The brand I was using was supposed to be one of the most absorbed forms on the market due to the addition of a black pepper extract. This was the brand I was using: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-...c%2C150&sr=1-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
My left knee swelled up 10 years ago while I was hiking. I was away from home and couldn't get good medical care outside of an emergency room (and paying cash) until a few weeks later. I got several cortisone shots in that knee over the next year, each one doing less good than the previous. Doctors differed on whether meniscus surgery was the best option. Most thought I should have a turn meniscus clipped, but one was adamant that no this was arthritis and I should not have surgery. After reading all i could I decided to wait, and still am. There is now little or no cartilage left in the medial compartment of that knee, which sometimes hurts but not terribly so. I will probably need a replacement but am in no rush. My hikings is greatly reduced but I still ride bike 20-30 miles regularly.

13 months ago my right knee became so freakin painful I could barely walk. Doctor said I needed surgery to clean up the meniscus. I said give me a cortisone shot and except for a couple of mild pain twangs it has been great ever since.

Moral of the story: The effect of a single cortisone shot will vary depending on things you can't accurately predict. Sometimes it dos nothing and sometimes its all you need. You just don't want to get more than several per year, and if you need that many year after year surgery may be in order.
Regarding meniscus surgery, I had it. I did not have a repair. They did arthroscopic to clean it up, whatever that means. I did not have locking or clicking so I did not have a loose piece floating around. It did nothing for me. I have also read it is useless for arthritis. My recommendation for anyone considering meniscus surgery is to determine if they are a candidate for a repair. If not, determine what exactly the surgeon is hoping to accomplish. The surgeon who did mine was highly recommended. I never got an explanation of what exactly he did. It was a waste of time and may have actually made it worse.

I agree with the cortisone shots being hit or miss. I had one that really helped, and two that did very little.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I started taking turmeric/curcumin three years ago. I ordered it for my wife who had recently been diagnosed with cancer. I was hearing a lot of positive things about turmeric at the time. I took it for three years up until recently. I really didn't notice any benefit from it. The reports on turmeric seem much less promising today due to absorption issues. The brand I was using was supposed to be one of the most absorbed forms on the market due to the addition of a black pepper extract. This was the brand I was using: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-...c%2C150&sr=1-3

Regarding meniscus surgery, I had it. I did not have a repair. They did arthroscopic to clean it up, whatever that means. I did not have locking or clicking so I did not have a loose piece floating around. It did nothing for me. I have also read it is useless for arthritis. My recommendation for anyone considering meniscus surgery is to determine if they are a candidate for a repair. If not, determine what exactly the surgeon is hoping to accomplish. The surgeon who did mine was highly recommended. I never got an explanation of what exactly he did. It was a waste of time and may have actually made it worse.

I agree with the cortisone shots being hit or miss. I had one that really helped, and two that did very little.
Hit or miss is right and I believe I had two in my life, maybe only 1 and it did nothing. And I've heard too much info on how much damage the steroids do, so not for me.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Hit or miss is right and I believe I had two in my life, maybe only 1 and it did nothing. And I've heard too much info on how much damage the steroids do, so not for me.
I've read that cortisone is bad long term for your joints but I have not read any research information that goes into detail. The doctor who gave me the last injection said I could an injection every three months and my insurance covers four a year. I would gladly do four cortisone shots a year if they bought me some time to allow me to play basketball. It doesn't appear that is going to happen. f I don't push it again, most of my knee pain should go away. I'm not close to needing a knee replacement and much of my pain is from trying to do things I shouldn't do at age 64.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:37 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Please, please, please, as I asked in the OP (because other threads have been CLOSED once the bashing starts), no doctor bashing in this thread. Cortisone shots have done a LOT of good for a LOT of people, but alas, they don't work for everyone.

My shot last Wednesday was my first ever, so somehow I don't think I am going to be harmed by it -- it just didn't do as much good as I'd hoped for. I just got off the phone with Orthopedics -- they said it would take 7-14 days for the cortisone to work (which contradicts the experiences of many people, so I am confused) so I can't get another shot right now. I leave for the UK in 5 days and if it doesn't improve I will be pretty miserable over there ...

Old 05-07-2019, 12:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Please, please, please, as I asked in the OP (because other threads have been CLOSED once the bashing starts), no doctor bashing in this thread. Cortisone shots have done a LOT of good for a LOT of people, but alas, they don't work for everyone.

My shot last Wednesday was my first ever, so somehow I don't think I am going to be harmed by it -- it just didn't do as much good as I'd hoped for. I just got off the phone with Orthopedics -- they said it would take 7-14 days for the cortisone to work (which contradicts the experiences of many people, so I am confused) so I can't get another shot right now. I leave for the UK in 5 days and if it doesn't improve I will be pretty miserable over there ...
While some people do see relief earlier, I always tell folks it can take 1-2 weeks to see relief from a corticosteroid injection.

Typically the soonest you can get a 2nd injection of corticosteroid in 3-4 months.

I wouldn't give up hope yet on the injection providing some measure of relief, take it easy now before your trip

Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
While some people do see relief earlier, I always tell folks it can take 1-2 weeks to see relief from a corticosteroid injection.

Typically the soonest you can get a 2nd injection of corticosteroid in 3-4 months.

I wouldn't give up hope yet on the injection providing some measure of relief, take it easy now before your trip
Thank you -- that gives me a little bit of hope.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:

It wasn't my intent to bash doctors. My son is one. I think it pays to educate yourself as much as possible. I'm lucky because I can rely on his expertise. The facts are, there are procedures that are often done that do not make sense. Two of the biggest are back surgery and meniscectomy. Regarding cortisone shots, I'll probably try it again because I have few options.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:24 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Quote:

True about the thread closure. The purpose of this thread is NOT to bash doctors. People, if you wish the thread to stay open, DO NOT resort to bashing and other off-topic comments.

On a personal note, I'm all for trying steroid/cortisone injections. I've had two in my life and in both cases the result was nothing short of miraculous.

When I was 50, I had debilitating pain from golf elbow (similar to the more-common tennis elbow but on the inside of the elbow instead of the outside). My left arm was completely useless because the pain was so bad. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he gave me a shot directly in the affected joint. It took a few days to take effect, and I've not had a speck of pain in the elbow since then. That was 15 years ago.

Five years ago I had terrible arthritis pain in my foot. My podiatrist game me one steroid shot in the affected area. It took about a week to take effect and I've not had a bit of pain in that same area since then.

My sister has had shots twice for joint pain in her wrist, but neither one helped her. They help some people and not others. In many cases, there's no harm in trying the shot before other means of intervention. Not every option works for every patient.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:

Unless, Novocaine is added, immediate relief is usually not the case. Listen to your Doc. 1-2 weeks is normal.

I've had cortisone shots in knees and shoulders and pain relief for me was about a week (both docs were excellent, no pain on injection and relief lasted several months or more.)

I still have avoided knee and shoulder surgery. I'll stick with my Top in the USA docs and avoid quack cures. I know that I am in good hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness