U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 8,243,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
And, Haluronic Acid injections saved MrsM 5 years before her first knee surgery.

For the record her replacements are keeping her pain free and active for the past 15 years. Every one of our friends and acquaintances who had hip and knee replacements are doing extremely well many years later

Just because you had a bad experience (bad doctor??) don't try to scare everyone else off.
I only give other sides to it all. There are MANY worldwide who suffer from these replacements. Your wife was a fortunate one...good for her. I've been on many forums since my hip job and the stories...!!!! Good and Not Good. There are no guarantees, once done can't be reversed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,352,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I only give other sides to it all. There are MANY worldwide who suffer from these replacements. Your wife was a fortunate one...good for her. I've been on many forums since my hip job and the stories...!!!! Good and Not Good. There are no guarantees, once done can't be reversed.

I think anyone have joint replacement surgery in their 50s should expect to have a second replacement. They usually won't last more than 15 to 20 years. According to this link, there are 22,000 revision surgeries done a year.

https://www.healthline.com/health/to...ery/revision#1

Last edited by villageidiot1; 06-18-2019 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 6,254,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think anyone have joint replacement surgery in their 50s should expect to have a second replacement. They usually won't last more 15 to 20 years. According to this link, there are 22,000 revision surgeries done a year.

Absolutely true

Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think anyone have joint replacement surgery in their 50s should expect to have a second replacement. They usually won't last more than 15 to 20 years. According to this link, there are 22,000 revision surgeries done a year.

this is very true. That is why the surgeons try to hold off until at least 60, but the procedure is improving each year. Yes, now they say a knee should last baring complications about 15 to 20 years. Our daughter tried to hold off but she just couldn't. she finally had one replaced when she was about 58. Now, she will soon be 60. There was a time when 10 years was the average life of a "make believe" knee. My niece had both of them replaced this past year. She will be 65 in 2 months.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 PM

7,221 posts, read 12,662,263 times
All, thanks for the additional info and posts.

I have been having physical therapy for the past several weeks -- it can't actually repair the damage, of course, since there is simply no cartilage left in my left knee, but it CAN give me better range of motion in that knee and a bit less pain while walking, going up and down stairs, etc. It's not perfect, but it's helping.

I also just ordered an exercise machine that appears to be very similar to a "home" version of the NuStep I've used in PT. I can't really use my treadmill right now , so hopefully the new machine will work and be 1 more piece of equipment for my home gym (which I actually do use! ). It was expensive, but has decent reviews and if it works and gets me moving again, I will be a happy camper.

I expect to have my knee replacement early in 2020 (I'll be 61 in January 2020). I could conceivably have it a month or two earlier but I will save several thousand dollars by waiting until January or February so it makes more financial sense to wait. (My health insurance changed in 2019 -- I THOUGHT I had picked the plan closest to what I HAD, but alas, not quite. During open enrollment this coming October, I will pick the one I SHOULD have picked for this year. Yet another reason why I hate the USA's health care system, but that's a whole other thread! )

Old 06-19-2019, 02:29 PM

OP: You say you hate our health care system. Have you lived in another country and used others? I've lived over 8 decades and it's served me very well, and like everything else in the U.S. all costs of everything have gone up up up.... true a topic for another thread but things are not going back to what was. I do all I best to take care of myself and stay out of the system as much as possible.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2019 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
OP: You say you hate our health care system. Have you lived in another country and used others? I've lived over 8 decades and it's served me very well, and like everything else in the U.S. all costs of everything have gone up up up.... true a topic for another thread but things are going back to what was. I do all I best to take care of myself and stay out of the system as much as possible.
I have lots of friends and relatives in the UK and Canada who love their health care system, despite a few minor glitches. I was mostly referring to the insane complexity of our system, the million different plans with very confusing options and different costs and different co-pays/deductibles/etc. I am pretty smart about this stuff but I STILL chose a non-optimal plan during my employer's 2019 open enrollment period -- they changed ALL the plans so we HAD to choose a new one or go without for 2019, and the one I chose SEEMED closest to what I had. Alas, a different plan was even closer.

But again -- that was simply an aside to what I was saying -- the main purpose of my post was simply to update this thread on my progress.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have lots of friends and relatives in the UK and Canada who love their health care system, despite a few minor glitches. I was mostly referring to the insane complexity of our system, the million different plans with very confusing options and different costs and different co-pays/deductibles/etc. I am pretty smart about this stuff but I STILL chose a non-optimal plan during my employer's 2019 open enrollment period -- they changed ALL the plans so we HAD to choose a new one or go without for 2019, and the one I chose SEEMED closest to what I had. Alas, a different plan was even closer.

But again -- that was simply an aside to what I was saying -- the main purpose of my post was simply to update this thread on my progress.
Oh, you didn't say how your trip went with your students, I presume you are back.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, you didn't say how your trip went with your students, I presume you are back.
Sorry, I thought I had updated this thread after I got back from the UK on May 23rd.

Trip was great for my students and travel partner (a staff member at my college -- she was terrific). I was miserable, although I tried to hide it as much as possible. I couldn't freakin' WALK, which of course made London (and Derby, for that matter) not so great. I literally could not go on ANY of the field trips, which were a huge part of the course, as they required miles of walking. I COULD do the academic portions (e.g. the classroom lectures), but even getting to and from those was really painful. It is pitiful, but I was crying in my room much of the time.

I had seriously been counting on that cortisone shot since virtually everything I had read suggested that it would work great for cases like mine ... but it simply didn't. I was one of the unlucky ones.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry, I thought I had updated this thread after I got back from the UK on May 23rd.

Trip was great for my students and travel partner (a staff member at my college -- she was terrific). I was miserable, although I tried to hide it as much as possible. I couldn't freakin' WALK, which of course made London (and Derby, for that matter) not so great. I literally could not go on ANY of the field trips, which were a huge part of the course, as they required miles of walking. I COULD do the academic portions (e.g. the classroom lectures), but even getting to and from those was really painful. It is pitiful, but I was crying in my room much of the time.

I had seriously been counting on that cortisone shot since virtually everything I had read suggested that it would work great for cases like mine ... but it simply didn't. I was one of the unlucky ones.
Your trip could have been a problem for a couple pretty good knees, sorry the shot let you down. I made two trips to the mailbox today so that's good for me and my walking. I'm feeling some relief with what I'm doing but don't have visions of a TKR. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness