U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 732,779 times
Reputation: 3186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I got my new eyeglasses.....and I am disappointed. They are the same type, I have had before, with bio-focals, only a stronger script. As soon as I put them on in the store....they seemed strange.....like the long distance, was just a bit out of focus. I was told, my eyes needed to adjust, and not to drive home with them. Well, it`s the next day, and I feel the same way.....like looking a distance, is just a bit out of focus, not a lot, just a bit. Anyone else have a problem, were they think, they were given the wrong script, even though they reassured me, it was the right one.
Take them to your eye doctor who gave you the prescription. Yes, these stores do make errors. The error could be in PD or in the script.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2019, 12:26 PM
 
Location: 49th parallel
2,476 posts, read 1,294,108 times
Reputation: 5096
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It should not take many hours to become adjusted to a new, correct, prescription. If the new glasses are bifocals, and you've never had them before, then it might take longer. But I never had more than a day of adjustment on any new prescription. I have nearsightedness, presbyopia, dry eye, and astigmatism. Nowadays I also have major league floaters in one eye.

Since both detached retina and macular degeneration are in my family tree, I appreciate the intensive look at my eyes every year.
Wow, Silibran, you sound just like me! Don't think I have presbyopia, tho, but they are watching me carefully for drusen and other retina problems. That's my main worry. Another friend and I who have similar eye problems laugh and say, "it's like looking through soup." I think I'm getting ready for cataract problems, as well, so haven't read much about how cataract surgery might affect retina problems. I hope not at all, but I guess that's something I will have to ask about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 01:12 PM
 
2,935 posts, read 736,465 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I got my new eyeglasses.....and I am disappointed. They are the same type, I have had before, with bio-focals, only a stronger script. As soon as I put them on in the store....they seemed strange.....like the long distance, was just a bit out of focus. I was told, my eyes needed to adjust, and not to drive home with them. Well, it`s the next day, and I feel the same way.....like looking a distance, is just a bit out of focus, not a lot, just a bit. Anyone else have a problem, were they think, they were given the wrong script, even though they reassured me, it was the right one.
Your eyes should NEVER need to "adjust" to the CORRECT lenses. Let me guess... LensCrafters?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 01:36 PM
 
1,179 posts, read 575,306 times
Reputation: 3710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Your eyes should NEVER need to "adjust" to the CORRECT lenses. Let me guess... LensCrafters?
LOL....No not LensCrafters. I did think about going there though....now, I wish I had.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 04:34 PM
 
1,903 posts, read 2,601,014 times
Reputation: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Your eyes should NEVER need to "adjust" to the CORRECT lenses. Let me guess... LensCrafters?
Ha ,those chains are something ain't they? I have severe trouble with my new glasses , have
had lenses made twice but still cannot adjust. First I was told
to give it time then when I did I was told I had waited too long for
them to now help me . lol. 700 dollars plus is what I
spent at myeyedr . They sent me back to my optometrist (different from
myeydr) 3 times to have my exam redone blaming it
on my exam. LOL .
Needless to say I now have very expensive frames that I need new
lenses made for , do you think it will be at a chain like myeyedr? nope.

Thanks for all the info on here I now feel better educated but
one can only wonder why the personnel at these places aren't
learning these things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 PM
 
Location: PVB
3,052 posts, read 1,545,337 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Ha ,those chains are something ain't they? I have severe trouble with my new glasses , have
had lenses made twice but still cannot adjust. First I was told
to give it time then when I did I was told I had waited too long for
them to now help me . lol. 700 dollars plus is what I
spent at myeyedr . They sent me back to my optometrist (different from
myeydr) 3 times to have my exam redone blaming it
on my exam. LOL .
Needless to say I now have very expensive frames that I need new
lenses made for , do you think it will be at a chain like myeyedr? nope.

Thanks for all the info on here I now feel better educated but
one can only wonder why the personnel at these places aren't
learning these things.
They don't teach it any more, now its all about upselling expensive lenses and add-ons that learning how to fit glasses. Try and get a good adjustment today. I learned from old timers that knew what they were doing. I doubt if 1 in10 can do a decent adjustment. I know because I see it all the time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 09:37 PM
 
60 posts, read 24,385 times
Reputation: 151
Sadly Thundarr457, it's not that hard to learn
I go nuts when my coworkers just crank temples around a patient's ears or leave nose pads unadjusted.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 AM
 
Location: PVB
3,052 posts, read 1,545,337 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
Sadly Thundarr457, it's not that hard to learn
I go nuts when my coworkers just crank temples around a patient's ears or leave nose pads unadjusted.
When I started we had different temple lengths and bridge and front sizes. The "American" way of numerous sized fronts with interchangeable temples went the way of the dodo to be replaced by the "European" way of the frame completely assembled with set temple lengths and bridge sizes much less sku's. For example when I started you had say: 44/20, 44/22, 46/20, 46/22, 48/20, 48/22, 48/24 and temples 135mm to 150mm. You could fit and front to any temple and you got a much better fit. Now you get 46/20 135mm and 48/20 140mm 2 sku's vs 11. If you need a big bridge forget it, you need a larger eye size its tough, small eye with big bridge forget it, shorter or longer temple length forget it. If you are average you are good if not too bad. I have a very narrow bridge and when I found a frame I would buy a bunch so when it went discontinued I had some ready. We used to cut metal temples if they were too long I doubt if 1 in 100 do it now, they just crank them around the ears.
I will end with a funny story about when I started. We had a senior optician who would ask the patient how the glasses felt. 99/100 say "fine" even if they aren't. He would stick them on their face while they were sitting down and before they hit the seat he would have them off their face and in a case. Then would would come "if you need anything just stop in". His name was Jim and if someone came in with their glasses not adjusted at all we would call it a "Jim fit"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,239 posts, read 13,963,068 times
Reputation: 29388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wow, Silibran, you sound just like me! Don't think I have presbyopia, tho, but they are watching me carefully for drusen and other retina problems. That's my main worry. Another friend and I who have similar eye problems laugh and say, "it's like looking through soup." I think I'm getting ready for cataract problems, as well, so haven't read much about how cataract surgery might affect retina problems. I hope not at all, but I guess that's something I will have to ask about.
Cataract surgery helps you see better. And it is fairly easy, as surgeries go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
2,476 posts, read 1,294,108 times
Reputation: 5096
Well, I did find this

While there are a few studies suggesting that cataract surgery might make AMD worse, the largest, most definitive studies indicate that it has no effect

among other things, when reading about it some time ago. I guess I will have to talk to the main man when I have my next appointment and see what he thinks. I would love to be able to ditch the glasses, after so many decades - at least for social occasions or something.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top