Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:40 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,053,126 times

Advertisements

I got my new eyeglasses.....and I am disappointed. They are the same type, I have had before, with bio-focals, only a stronger script. As soon as I put them on in the store....they seemed strange.....like the long distance, was just a bit out of focus. I was told, my eyes needed to adjust, and not to drive home with them. Well, it`s the next day, and I feel the same way.....like looking a distance, is just a bit out of focus, not a lot, just a bit. Anyone else have a problem, were they think, they were given the wrong script, even though they reassured me, it was the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 12:34 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Yes! I am having a very similar problem. In fact, I started a thread on it here a few weeks ago. I got new lenses in spare frames which which were exactly the same as my current frames. I tried on my new pair and could tell they were worse. Like you, I was told to wait a while (a week) to let my eyes adjust. I did that and, although the new pair was definitely better (my eyes had adjusted some), it was still not better than my old pair. Very disappointing and frustrating, particularly since I paid $680 for the new lenses. (I have a very, very strong prescription.)

I contacted them and am going back to have my eyes re-examined and new lenses made at no additional cost. My appointment is in a couple of weeks. We’ll see.

So, maybe you can wait another few days, then call them back to complain/request another exam & lenses free of charge.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Yes! I am having a very similar problem. In fact, I started a thread on it here a few weeks ago. I got new lenses in spare frames which which were exactly the same as my current frames. I tried on my new pair and could tell they were worse. Like you, I was told to wait a while (a week) to let my eyes adjust. I did that and, although the new pair was definitely better (my eyes had adjusted some), it was still not better than my old pair. Very disappointing and frustrating, particularly since I paid $680 for the new lenses. (I have a very, very strong prescription.)

I contacted them and am going back to have my eyes re-examined and new lenses made at no additional cost. My appointment is in a couple of weeks. We’ll see.

So, maybe you can wait another few days, then call them back to complain/request another exam & lenses free of charge.
Yes, I will give it another week, and see (not pun intended) how it goes. This is the first time, I have had this problem. I have been wearing eyeglasses for thirty years. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,068 times
It can take a couple weeks for new glasses, especially progressives or bi-focals to really become totally unnoticeable. At least it did for me. One day I just wasn't aware of them. Going down stairs was the biggie for me.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:57 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Yes, I will give it another week, and see (not pun intended) how it goes. This is the first time, I have had this problem. I have been wearing eyeglasses for thirty years. Thanks!

It was the very first time this had happened to me too! I am wondering if it has something to do with a subtle shift from a health care to a sales model of business.

For years I have been unhappy with my supposedly 20/20 correction, but each time I complained, the optometrist I saw would give me some kind of complicated explanation about how 20/20 correction with vision as bad as mine wasn’t going to be the same as someone who actually had 20/20 vision. This time, the optometrist, someone new, and who looked very young (must be getting older ) gave me a cheery “No problem! We can take care of that for you!” I thought maybe there had been some new technological progress, but now I’m thinking she just want to sell me on new lenses whether or not they would actually be better than my current ones.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
It was the very first time this had happened to me too! I am wondering if it has something to do with a subtle shift from a health care to a sales model of business.

For years I have been unhappy with my supposedly 20/20 correction, but each time I complained, the optometrist I saw would give me some kind of complicated explanation about how 20/20 correction with vision as bad as mine wasn’t going to be the same as someone who actually had 20/20 vision. This time, the optometrist, someone new, and who looked very young (must be getting older ) gave me a cheery “No problem! We can take care of that for you!” I thought maybe there had been some new technological progress, but now I’m thinking she just want to sell me on new lenses whether or not they would actually be better than my current ones.
Not like the old days, for sure. We are just a number. Well, we are not going to let it slide. Are we. They are going to get it right.It will cost them more, then it cost us.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Optometrists are not eye doctors. Spend a few more worthwhile dollars and get an eye examination by an Opthamologist doctor/M.D. Optometrists cannot diagnose ocular issues.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 PM

326 posts, read 200,597 times
In my 40 years as an optician I can tell you that the refraction you get from an optometrist wins hands down

Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
In my 40 years as an optician I can tell you that the refraction you get from an optometrist wins hands down
Absolutely! There is no comparison.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:41 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
What do you mean by that? Getting a refraction from an optometrist vs. who? is better? Please define the terms because most of us don't know the difference between the different "eye doctors."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness