U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,026,747 times

Advertisements

I just moved to a new apt and one day I heard a guy happily screaming and making certain types of noises from the neighboring apt. Initially I thought, they might have a kid at home and he might be playing with the kid. Later I thought they might be doing the fun activities at night. But then this is happening every evening. In last couple of weeks I have heard happy, sad, angry screams and also loud cries sometimes. I really don't know who lives in that apartment, but I have just seen 2 guys getting into the apartment after work hours.

The noises go on for about 1-2 hours or sometimes even 2-3 hours. I really don't know what the sound is of, but I thought there might be someone with autism. I have met some children with autism, but none of them were this loud, so trying to understand if this is a common behavior.

I hear the noise mostly in my bedroom since we share the wall and during those evening hours I am not even able to use the room for studying, so I mostly hang out in living room. I don't want to complain or anything, but I am not even sure whom should I talk to about it to understand what's going on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 02:30 PM

6,690 posts, read 2,724,651 times
Seems odd to just go to some sort of cognitive problem. He could simply be a focused gamer.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you can’t look away" (set 20 days ago)

17,937 posts, read 8,073,088 times
"Do people with autism cry/scream everyday?"

Not necessarily - my aspie brother sure doesn't.

Why do you assume that a person exhibiting this behavior must be autistic/aspergers?

Paranoid schizophrenics may act like this - so might manic people, people with DTs, and people with Tourette's. Wouldn't be surprised if there were others.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Seems odd to just go to some sort of cognitive problem. He could simply be a focused gamer.
The screams don't sound like gaming ones. I have friends who are gamers and I have spent time with them. They don't cry in between or make happy/sad/angry sounds. After angry noises I have even heard him throwing couple of things around. And this is not a rare thing. I hear these noises every single day.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
"Do people with autism cry/scream everyday?"

Not necessarily - my aspie brother sure doesn't.

Why do you assume that a person exhibiting this behavior must be autistic/aspergers?

Paranoid schizophrenics may act like this - so might manic people, people with DTs, and people with Tourette's. Wouldn't be surprised if there were others.
That's the closest I could relate to. I have seen such behavior in autistic people. Again I am not aware of anything else that's out there. Like I don't know what DT/Tourette is. Will search and learn about it now. But his thing seems like some sort of health related thing to me.

It kind of hurts me when I see people with autism and hearing these noises daily gives me similar feeling and that's another reason I try to stay away from my bedroom during those hours.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM

6,690 posts, read 2,724,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
The screams don't sound like gaming ones. I have friends who are gamers and I have spent time with them. They don't cry in between or make happy/sad/angry sounds. After angry noises I have even heard him throwing couple of things around. And this is not a rare thing. I hear these noises every single day.
Guess you'll have to actually meet this new neighbor to find anything out.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 PM

146 posts, read 45,052 times
I had a similar experience many years back. I moved into a new apartment and heard someone below screaming in a really weird way for hours. I went down, knocked on his door. He answered and said: “Hi! I’m John! I have schizophrenia and I was abused as a child!” I said I was sorry to hear that. Then did my best to cope on my end, before eventually moving to a different apartment.

So, why don’t you go and talk to him ... and good luck!

Old 05-03-2019, 03:30 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,043,596 times
Quote:
I don't want to complain or anything, but I am not even sure whom should I talk to about it to understand what's going on.

Since you're new to the apartment, why not introduce yourself to your neighbors, then you could get an idea of what's going on over there. You wouldn't have to come right out and ask, just keep an eye out for a possible explanation. The situation would likely be more tolerable for you if you understood the cause, I hope so anyway.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:29 PM

4,102 posts, read 3,736,394 times
Well, it doesn't really matter why it's happening. It's disturbing your quiet enjoyment of your apartment.

Notify management, in writing, of what and when it's happening. Let them deal with it. If they don't, ask to break your lease. Maybe they have another unit available that you could move to.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 PM

4,823 posts, read 2,219,206 times
Quote:
I just moved to a new apt and one day I heard a guy happily screaming and making certain types of noises from the neighboring apt. Initially I thought, they might have a kid at home and he might be playing with the kid. Later I thought they might be doing the fun activities at night. But then this is happening every evening. In last couple of weeks I have heard happy, sad, angry screams and also loud cries sometimes. I really don't know who lives in that apartment, but I have just seen 2 guys getting into the apartment after work hours.

The noises go on for about 1-2 hours or sometimes even 2-3 hours. I really don't know what the sound is of, but I thought there might be someone with autism. I have met some children with autism, but none of them were this loud, so trying to understand if this is a common behavior.

I hear the noise mostly in my bedroom since we share the wall and during those evening hours I am not even able to use the room for studying, so I mostly hang out in living room. I don't want to complain or anything, but I am not even sure whom should I talk to about it to understand what's going on.
My 15 year old with severe regressive autism is constantly making noise at some level. Usually an “Ngngngng NGNG! Nngngng ... NG!” Sound. Accompanied by shrieking & grunting. And slapping himself repetitively. That’s a baseline level.

My 24 year old with Asperger’s will only make random noise if he is alone in his room. Sudden loud “HaHaHa!” Or curse words. Lots of thumps & bumps. Bird calls.

I always thought the organization “Autism Speaks” has a bizarre name. Autism does not speak but it sure as heck is loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or