U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:26 PM

5,821 posts, read 2,671,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Doctors used to dictate their notes at the end of the day, after seeing all the patients, and then a transcriptionist would transcribe the notes to enter in the patient charts. Apparently that's not as efficient as entering all the information directly into the chart themselves via computer during each appointment.
Our doctor has his physicians assistant do the brief note taking.
Yes I expect if paying $150, for five sentences uttered by the doctor. That it be in the "now". Not the time spent as he's using the backspace or Google search.

I don't go into any appointment with a client and wing it! I go in prepared...data in hand. I am.not there to waste time. So doctors...prepare yourself before seeing that LIFE filled being. And stop the 40 minute wait time for the meager two minutes actual work time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 02:55 PM

30,638 posts, read 19,398,051 times
My RA doc has always used it and it's fine. He talks to me, looks me in the eye some, types some... it's all good.

On the other hand, my GP just started the computer system and you could tell her mind was focused on using the computer and how to do it, how to find stuff.... she was a hot mess.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-05-2019, 03:04 PM

1,993 posts, read 978,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Our doctor has his physicians assistant do the brief note taking.
Yes I expect if paying $150, for five sentences uttered by the doctor. That it be in the "now". Not the time spent as he's using the backspace or Google search.

I don't go into any appointment with a client and wing it! I go in prepared...data in hand. I am.not there to waste time. So doctors...prepare yourself before seeing that LIFE filled being. And stop the 40 minute wait time for the meager two minutes actual work time.

? They aren't looking things up on google, they're filling in your chart.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
? They aren't looking things up on google, they're filling in your chart.
Yep.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:05 PM

8,853 posts, read 9,008,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its been my experience that doctors look at their computers for information on your blood tests,your medications,your medical history, ,proper course of action on your treatment.
I wish that were true. But the ironic thing is that for me, doctors NEVER look at what's already there. They ask you the same question again, just as if you've never been their before, just as if you hadn't filled out a questionnaire about your history and particulars.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I wish that were true. But the ironic thing is that for me, doctors NEVER look at what's already there. They ask you the same question again, just as if you've never been their before, just as if you hadn't filled out a questionnaire about your history and particulars.

Mine don't.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:31 PM

2,615 posts, read 1,885,236 times
These computers violate the basic premise of practicing medicine. It was merely a step to downgrade doctors from practitioners of an art & science, to the level of clerks. Period!

40 yrs ago if you were caught with a checklist while rotating on medicine or surgery, you were taken aside and explained that all that stuff you learned was for you to be able to observe, and synthesize a diagnosis and treatment plan based on YOUR judgement. Not some clerk in an insurance company or some government agency where vetting was not done. They would tear that checklist up, in front of you, and proceed, on rounds, to make doubly sure you knew how to think of each and every patient as a unique patient. Not something out of a "think & do" book.

Years later I realized what that was all about. Medicine is an art and science, dealing with people (biologic things) where you cannot generalize. If you do, you will miss important things on specific patients and thereby offer them second class treatment.

In 30 yrs of practice I was most impressed by my colleagues who (like the great Chefs) had their own personal established methods of solving people's health issues. They were the ones patients clammered to be seen by.

They've tried to turn the practice of medicine into a Wikpedia (20th century Readers Digest) driven thing. If anything, only to cover up for less apt doctors and perhaps prevent malpractice.

As a doctor today, your judgement now means nothing. It's the checklist!

Old 05-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

That's because they're updating your chart, checking to see what has changed, etc. And, yes, they DO look at what's already there. Just because you don't know what they're looking at doesn't mean it isn't important.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 PM

6,067 posts, read 8,918,090 times
Ha Ha. No matter how many times I see the PCP, he always comes in looking like he is saying "who are you again?" Why can't he review the records before entering the room? Or have his assist. give him a mini run down of why I am there, and what I want. I know they are busy. There are too many people seeking the good doc's attention. But my few minutes there are MINE and I want to be recognized. And I don't want to repeat my whole history each time either.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
And I don't want to repeat my whole history each time either.

Repeating your history to them is good practice. It's for your own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or