U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM
 
Location: on the wind
6,522 posts, read 2,615,172 times
Reputation: 22126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Holy cow. ! I can't imagine . .your side pain might be due to some other major issue. Example::I had a leg pain. Doc sent me to get tested. It was a blood clot. One issue pain. Second issue my potential for a stroke. I cannot imagine a doc issuing such a mandate.

And sorry folks, if a doc is wasting your time by asking you to repeat your medical history. ..he /she is not the kind you want. Tell em to read it and stop the dress rehearsal.
I've NEVER seen any sort of sign about "single issue per visit" in any of my doc's offices. I've never have a doc ask me to repeat my medical history during an appointment. What they have done is ask me specific questions about some aspect of that history...to tease out more detail, clarify something that the chart form might not include, or get an update if it's been a while since I've seen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM
 
2,049 posts, read 997,830 times
Reputation: 8491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

And sorry folks, if a doc is wasting your time by asking you to repeat your medical history. ..he /she is not the kind you want. .
They should be reviewing your past medical history, plus review of systems, allergies, current medications, etc., along with your chief complaint and history of present illness whenever they see you.

Whether you think it's wasting your time or not, it is good medical practice, and you do want the kind of doctor that does this. You could read about it here, if you'd rather learn than complain about something you don't understand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP_note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 03:35 PM
 
5,877 posts, read 2,697,221 times
Reputation: 14882
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
They should be reviewing your past medical history, plus review of systems, allergies, current medications, etc., along with your chief complaint and history of present illness whenever they see you.

Whether you think it's wasting your time or not, it is good medical practice, and you do want the kind of doctor that does this. You could read about it here, if you'd rather learn than complain about something you don't understand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP_note
Pardon? I'm from a family of medical. So no need to preach to the real choir gal. But thanks for the link.

My observation and reality may be a hindrance. ..or as you perceive "a complaint". So be it. Maybe the medical office can consider it a constructive way to improve.

I don't care for redundancy ...particularly when I paid for it the first time. I don't need to pay for it again because the educated doctor wishes for me to do his homework. Get it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 06:00 PM
 
2,049 posts, read 997,830 times
Reputation: 8491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pardon? I'm from a family of medical. So no need to preach to the real choir gal. But thanks for the link.

My observation and reality may be a hindrance. ..or as you perceive "a complaint". So be it. Maybe the medical office can consider it a constructive way to improve.

I don't care for redundancy ...particularly when I paid for it the first time. I don't need to pay for it again because the educated doctor wishes for me to do his homework. Get it???

You don't seem to understand the need for review of systems and past medical history, so, no, I don't get it. But you do you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 PM
 
4,944 posts, read 10,932,657 times
Reputation: 11668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pardon? I'm from a family of medical. So no need to preach to the real choir gal. But thanks for the link.

My observation and reality may be a hindrance. ..or as you perceive "a complaint". So be it. Maybe the medical office can consider it a constructive way to improve.

I don't care for redundancy ...particularly when I paid for it the first time. I don't need to pay for it again because the educated doctor wishes for me to do his homework. Get it???
What exactly does "from a family of medical" mean???

I hear folks use some variation of this all the time.....

So if your parent, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle....whatever was a doctor or nurse does that mean you have some "special insight" into medical practice...

How exactly does that work??? Osmosis???

If you have no medical training yourself and have never treated patients....what difference does it make if you're from a "family of medical"

I know if I am on a plane or on an operating table I don't want someone from a "family of flying" piloting the plane or a guy off the street from a "family of surgeons" operating on me...

By the way, your "complaint" about "redundancy" shows you really don't know what you are talking about, any GOOD practitioner will get their OWN history from a patient and not just rely what is already in the chart which may be incomplete or even wrong...

The educated doctor IS doing his work when he reviews your medical history.....anything less and you really aren't getting your money's worth...

You would know this if instead of being from a "family of medical" you actually had medical training of your own...got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM
 
2,729 posts, read 968,680 times
Reputation: 3636
I gladly answer any questions my doctors have, even if I have answered them several times previously. It is the least I can do to help them help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
 
Location: NJ
10,395 posts, read 21,109,221 times
Reputation: 8199
Thankfully, the doctors I see are all with the same university so they can all see my history. Out of my 3 doctors, my pain management doctor is on the computer the longest. She hates it but has come to accept it. She has help entering records some days; my visit should normally take 5 minutes because it's just refill scripts but because of HIPAA and the DEA; the system takes longer. The old system they had 3 years ago wasn't as bad as this one. The last time I was there she told me they were getting a newer system; she's not sure what to expect.

My doctors don't like all of the computer time involved but deal with it as best they can. I as a patient also deal with it. Thankfully my doctors do spend face time with me if it's needed. The last time I saw my pain doctor I needed a few injections which I rarely get. Her help told me she didn't have time but my doctor fit me in because she knows I'm one of her patients that normally do not take up much time; except for her typing on the computer lol

I just hope that the newer system will allow my doctors to spend less time on the keyboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:13 AM
 
9,005 posts, read 9,134,191 times
Reputation: 28214
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I've tried waiting for them to quit typing and look at me....doesn't work.
One doctor even told me (when I'd stopped talking like you said) to continue on...the whole time while typing and giving me NONE of his eye contact.
It always starts well...with eye contact...but within minutes, that eye contact is over and the computer gets their eyes from then on.
Every doctor I've seen lately does this....I find it really disconcerting, because as you say, I'm afraid to speak after that because I don't know that they're really hearing what I'm saying.
I know I couldn't be giving someone my full attention when I'm furiously typing as they speak.
I almost feel insulted when they do this....it seems to have all started when electronic medical records came about.....
My observation is that doctors are like anyone else. No one likes paper work, but its a function of the modern world. An electronic record saved to a computer has become the gold standard for just about everything we do in America anymore.

I've had doctors actually tell me if they could spend less time with the computer, they believe they would practice better medicine. However, its not possible. One doctor who I know very well leaves for work at around six in the morning and does two to three hours of paper work before he even starts seeing patients. Now, I can't say I feel sorry for him. He is well compensated and his experiences mirror those of most other occupations and professions.

Doctors are required during a routine visit to fill in a series of blanks on a computer template. This sort of thing is required because in the past certain issues weren't really dealt with adequately. For example, high blood pressure was not given the attention it needed and in the past hordes of people had strokes and heart attacks that could have been prevented. Issues like domestic abuse were not inquired into and visible signs of injury to wives and children were ignored.

Still, I've found that I get good service from my family doctor (and other doctors) by being polite, by being concise when I give a history, and occasionally making a joke or two.

Just a piece of advice for you and others. You catch more flies in life with honey than you do with vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top