U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM

30,767 posts, read 19,457,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Medical doctors are telling people it doesn't matter what they eat, all that matters is the number of calories. That is not true.

People are also being told, by the researchers and professionals, that increasing exercise is not the way to lose fat. Of course it is, but people believe their doctors.

The obesity epidemic is caused by refined carbohydrates, processed food, and inactivity. We all know this. But the "experts" are saying otherwise.
Out of my 5 doctors, not ONE says anything like that. Obviously yours does - fire them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM

9,195 posts, read 2,507,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Medical doctors are telling people it doesn't matter what they eat, all that matters is the number of calories. That is not true.

People are also being told, by the researchers and professionals, that increasing exercise is not the way to lose fat. Of course it is, but people believe their doctors.

The obesity epidemic is caused by refined carbohydrates, processed food, and inactivity. We all know this. But the "experts" are saying otherwise.
This reminds me of the fed up documentary.

For example, they said four calories of almond and four calories of junk food are not the same thing.

I can't speak for Doctors, but media advertisement has push the portions are all that matter lie because it is consumer friendly. Now coke can sell their same carbonated trash just in smaller portions and say their being health-conscious.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM

19,359 posts, read 18,464,349 times
More and more people seem to be leading sedentary lives and eating junk food in chain restaurants.

For a myriad of reasons. Working too much, not making enough money to buy good food, being too tired or too lazy too cook a meal, not knowing any better, bad habits, etc.

A lot of people these days think it's okay to drink Coke instead of just having a cup or coffee or tea or a glass of water. Coke is like poison. I don't know what it else it does but the sugary kind adds empty calories and the diet kind adds more junk that isn't healthy. Some diet types of Coke still use aspartine, a known carcinogen.

The chain restaurants load the plates with food that is mediocre and season it with a lot of salt so people think it tastes good. And people get addicted to eating these huge portions.

People sit at computers, something they didn't do back in 1980 or 1990. Back then not that many people were obese. Now it's almost getting normal to be obese. And sick from being obese. Parents who are in the habit of overeating make their kids obese. It's depressing and it's not getting better.

The people who eat healthy are the same type who ate healthy back in 1970, organic food, raise your own vegetables, exercise. There are always those types and there still are those types. It's nothing new, but it was started because foods were becoming so processed and fake. Too bad only some people pay attention and try to follow a healthy lifestyle. Americans are becoming fatter and sicker.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 PM

We just got my MIL back from rehab - she is a hot mess. COPD, small heart attacks and strokes she didn't know about, needs oxygen... it's bad. Not even 74.

She will snap your head off if you try to give her a vegetable, she HATED when I stayed there and cooked. She wants meat and potatoes, and gravy if you please, and why did nobody stock the house with Coke?

I KNOW diet is no promise of health, but good god, give your body a break.

I think the US created a perfect storm to make it easy to go the path to obesity. INE and others have mentioned all the ways it happened.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 PM

17,852 posts, read 9,238,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is data from two years ago, but I wasn't able to find anything newer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#cf9480f4badd

What surprises me is that since 2008, there has been a huge surge in the wellness industry and production of high end organic products.

Now I never though these things would be a solution as I saw them more of a money making grab, but still...

How has it gotten worse? In 2008 pretty much everyone was eating fast food/processed food, you'd think with the 'new' food options things would at least plateau, but they've kept growing.

Personally I think people should grow their own food, and buy from farmers markets, but that's not realistic for the majority of people.

Has our food gotten worse, or are people moving around less?

I could buy the latter reasoning but even then people weren't very active in 2008, and that's ignoring the recent Gym rise.

Can someone explain this to me?
It's a disgrace and it stems from the food chain, portion sizes, and lack of nutrition knowledge. I learned what I needed to do in The Plant Paradox and lost all my excess weight and now in the ideal weight range, 10% bodyfat and over 45% muscle with a flat stomach so there are plenty like me that stay slim, just not enough.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 501,947 times
People weren’t so overweight even a couple of decades ago. Smaller portion sizes and not so many processed foods make a difference. It’s easy to go to an office and sit all day, someone brings in donuts and bagels, potluck or eating out for lunch and don’t forget the Starbucks run. It all adds up and after a 45 minute commute, it’s time to sit and relax. Kids who were active a decade ago, just sit around with a computer, cell phone, tv, pizza or fast foods. No wonder so many kids are overweight.

Exercise and eating fresh and non processed food is great for health and weight. I’m always active on vacations, swimming, hiking, walking, and do indulge at meals. The weight loss that comes with all this exercise is a nice bonus. Without exercise, all the fancy diets in the world won’t work. Exercise enough and you never have to count calories.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Even something like a morning coffee has turned in to 600 calorie cup.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 PM

15,068 posts, read 13,214,048 times
Quote:

What surprises me is that since 2008, there has been a huge surge in the wellness industry and production of high end organic products.

Now I never though these things would be a solution as I saw them more of a money making grab, but still...

How has it gotten worse? In 2008 pretty much everyone was eating fast food/processed food, you'd think with the 'new' food options things would at least plateau, but they've kept growing.

Personally I think people should grow their own food, and buy from farmers markets, but that's not realistic for the majority of people.

I could buy the latter reasoning but even then people weren't very active in 2008, and that's ignoring the recent Gym rise.

Easy, eating too much. Not much more to explain than that.

Hispanics are the fastest growing group, and they are also the most obese, that is going to contribute to the number rise.

But it is not about groups, people are just eating too much.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 PM

8,820 posts, read 2,837,710 times
Quote:

It's video games and the junk food they cram into their mouths, as they play.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,553,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
... not making enough money to buy good food ...

... Too bad only some people pay attention and try to follow a healthy lifestyle. Americans are becoming fatter and sicker ...
I agree with everything you said, except the first line: my experience is that the best food does not cost more, especially if one eats it in moderate quantities, as one should.

The greater problem, as you mention, is paying attention (not paying money), education, and, yes, exerting the energy to prepare/cook one's own meals (best is raw vegetables, preparation, but no cooking necessary).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness