U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 04:58 AM

768 posts, read 275,282 times

Advertisements

It is interesting to look at the French and Italians, who on the whole are thin, and compare them with Americans and Australians, who have this massive obesity problem. Italian diet has a lot of carbs, French diet has a lot of saturated fats. One difference I have observed is that the French and Italians do not eat as much between meals, their portions are smaller especially compared to American portions and in France in particular there is a real stigma attached to being overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 05:54 AM

6,054 posts, read 3,440,386 times
I saw a new doctor last week. She must have weighed about two-hundred and fifty pounds. Was she living in poverty? Was she ignorant?

No one is immune from poor eating habits.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 AM

9,990 posts, read 4,646,524 times
Think about what has happened over the last 40-50 years. Many women have joined the workforce where they used to be home taking care of the house and kids and cooking homemade meals. Kids used to be out playing or riding their bikes for hours every day. Then little by little that changed so now women aren't cooking healthy meals as much, if at all, and about the same time computers came out and then cell phones.

So now we have kids who are not exercising like earlier generations because their nose is stuck in their cell phones and they are eating junk because their parents are too tired to cook after working all day. The perfect storm for obesity. The stigma for being chubby isn't like it was back when I was in school (the 60's & 70's). I think we had one overweight girl in our entire school.

My granddaughter, who is 10, used to go to a charter school that had a fitness hour every day. Unfortunately the school closed and now she gets 1 hour a week of P.E. While she is not overweight she has put on a few pounds where she used to be quite slim. Her cousin who is the same age is already 15-20 pounds overweight. Her parents both work manual jobs so her meals are whatever can be made quickly and cheaply. When she grows up she will most likely continue the trend.

I went to a trampoline park with my granddaughter the other day and it was scary to see so many little kids already very overweight. There was one kid, about 5 who was already probably 100 pounds. It's sad.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,553,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
... doctor .... ignorant?
Certainly possible.

Most doctors are trained to treat symptoms and they know relatively little (ignorant) about nutrition and its wholistic cause/effect dynamic.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Status: "80/20 rule: 80% of libs are traitors" (set 20 days ago)

525 posts, read 86,477 times
here is your answer: the lazy and worthless should not be reproducing at all but are reproducing the fastest

Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 AM

14,278 posts, read 8,228,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Even something like a morning coffee has turned in to 600 calorie cup.
Indeed. People have no idea how many calories they consume. Combine this with living in the car, sitting at the computer all day (even children learn in front of a computer,) zero exercise, and it's no surprise America is huge. I noticed in my work in the Alaska wilderness, the Natives are in crazy good physical shape. They spend a lot of time outdoors hunting, fishing, and snow machining, and their diet consists of lean meat and vegetables they pick outside. Obesity rate probably less than 10%. It seems the colder climates have a lower rate of obesity, actually.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM

1,664 posts, read 797,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
In my work in the Alaska wilderness, the Natives are in crazy good physical shape.

All indigenous populations are in crazy good physical shape until modernization arrives and shows them the correct way to eat with refined sugar, wheat flour, dairy and other refined processed foods. Then they are saddled with the same chronic illnesses. The Australian aborigines, South American rain forest tribes, and more.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-08-2019 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 08:58 AM

5,275 posts, read 6,329,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
It is interesting to look at the French and Italians, who on the whole are thin, and compare them with Americans and Australians, who have this massive obesity problem. Italian diet has a lot of carbs, French diet has a lot of saturated fats. One difference I have observed is that the French and Italians do not eat as much between meals, their portions are smaller especially compared to American portions and in France in particular there is a real stigma attached to being overweight.

Europeans view food differently. They eat meals and not so much snacking. Food is celebrated as a way to bring people together and they value cooking. And they value fresh ingredients. Plus they walk a lot more.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 AM

17,852 posts, read 9,238,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Spaniards also and these people live longer as a result....I think it's portion size, less processed foods, more walking, olive oil for cooking, A2 protein in their dairy.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,923,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is data from two years ago, but I wasn't able to find anything newer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#cf9480f4badd

What surprises me is that since 2008, there has been a huge surge in the wellness industry and production of high end organic products.

Now I never though these things would be a solution as I saw them more of a money making grab, but still...

How has it gotten worse? In 2008 pretty much everyone was eating fast food/processed food, you'd think with the 'new' food options things would at least plateau, but they've kept growing.

Personally I think people should grow their own food, and buy from farmers markets, but that's not realistic for the majority of people.

Has our food gotten worse, or are people moving around less?

I could buy the latter reasoning but even then people weren't very active in 2008, and that's ignoring the recent Gym rise.

Can someone explain this to me?
The biggest factor is advances in technology. I'm not just talking about computers and smart phones. All kinds of technology.....washing machines, dishwashers, etc.

Think about it....nobody uses a washboard anymore. Nobody has to fetch a pail of water from the well, get the wood for the stove. Heck, even chop the wood for the stove for that matter. Nobody has to crank their car to start it.

We have slowly evolved into a much more sedentary species. You can spend your hour or two at the gym every day, and you are still getting less exercise than say a farming family in the 1940's.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness