U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times

Advertisements

Gut bacteria. Really.

Extensive studies with rats (last I heard, they were just starting human studies, and results were similar) indicate that the types of bacteria that live in the gut to help digest food can determine fatness.

There are many strains of gut bacteria. Some promote obesity, others promote slenderness. When researchers move gut bacteria from fat rats into slim rats, the slim rats get fat. And vice versa. As far as I know, they've only transferred skinny gut bacteria from human to human, and recipients lose weight.

I'm not sure why it works; maybe the bacteria neutralize calories, or increase satiety so you eat less, or something else.

I would guess that we get some gut bacteria in the womb, so a fat mother would likely have a fat child. I suspect we get some from the foods we eat, too, so fast food might be high in fat bacteria. And I think that some bacteria do better with certain foods, so your menu choices would change population makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 04:28 PM

18,213 posts, read 9,441,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Gut bacteria. Really.

Extensive studies with rats (last I heard, they were just starting human studies, and results were similar) indicate that the types of bacteria that live in the gut to help digest food can determine fatness.

There are many strains of gut bacteria. Some promote obesity, others promote slenderness. When researchers move gut bacteria from fat rats into slim rats, the slim rats get fat. And vice versa. As far as I know, they've only transferred skinny gut bacteria from human to human, and recipients lose weight.

I'm not sure why it works; maybe the bacteria neutralize calories, or increase satiety so you eat less, or something else.

I would guess that we get some gut bacteria in the womb, so a fat mother would likely have a fat child. I suspect we get some from the foods we eat, too, so fast food might be high in fat bacteria. And I think that some bacteria do better with certain foods, so your menu choices would change population makeup.
Yep, I suggest people that want to fix their gut read The Plant Paradox....I did and it changed my life.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 AM

6,556 posts, read 10,626,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Day after day, I am amazed at the number of people who can deny themselves so much.
I know you are being sarcastic, but seems to me the real denial is not tasting real food as it really is, instead of dousing cheap ingredients with useless fattening sugary crap.

I bake potatoes dry in the oven and eat them just like that, maybe a little rosemary and mustard (zero calorie).

Lately been eating raw radishes, fennel, green peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes, and even carrots, celery and cabbage, with no salad dressing. Now I know what radishes, fennel, green peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes actually taste like.

There's no denying it: they each have a taste all their own, no intermediaries necessary.

All the best!

Old 05-10-2019, 01:57 PM

1,698 posts, read 815,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I am so for education in schools on this, and so disappointed they took away the healthy requirements for school lunches.

Kids revolted and most of it has been going in the trash. Also, schools complained that they were having problems locating compliant foods, the same problem many individuals have in trying to make healthier choices. Something had to give. The requirements weren't taken away. They were relaxed a little so that kids will eat it, reduce waste, and so that schools could meet the requirements.

If they are eating crap at home, a healthy lunch is not going to counteract that. And, there is nothing stopping parents from sending healthier lunches to school with their kids.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:06 PM

18,213 posts, read 9,441,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Kids revolted and most of it has been going in the trash. Also, schools complained that they were having problems locating compliant foods, the same problem many individuals have in trying to make healthier choices. Something had to give. The requirements weren't taken away. They were relaxed a little so that kids will eat it, reduce waste, and so that schools could meet the requirements.

If they are eating crap at home, a healthy lunch is not going to counteract that. And, there is nothing stopping parents from sending healthier lunches to school with their kids.
The schools should be teaching and demonstrating nutritious eating and parents should as well. Our obesity epidemic is an embarrassing national tragedy. We can do much better.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM

31,295 posts, read 19,747,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Weird. If I'm hungry and want pizza, but get an apple.... I still eat the apple, because, you know..... hunger.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-11-2019, 05:40 AM

8,126 posts, read 11,853,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
I can sum it all with one word: money

The price of "healthy good" food has gone up. While the price of "convenience food" has also gone up, just not as much.
Even though amount of food has gone down. You still get more for your money when you buy "convenience food" vs "healthy food". So consumers with a lower income are going to get more for their money. Unfortunately that means "convenience food". Many consumers would love to buy fresh from farmers markets. But the cost makes it an unaffordable option. So they need to shop at regular grocery stores. Often those selections are poor, so they end up buying "convenience food".

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
That's pretty much a myth that has been debunked by several studies. And when you think about it, wouldn't it be obvious? People go to farmers' markets precisely because the produce there is less expensive than at a supermarket. If it wasn't, people would just purchase their produce at the much more convenient local supermarket.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...t-myth/238661/

https://www.thekitchn.com/mythbustin...kets-ar-146648

https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/08/27...n-supermarkets

Old 05-11-2019, 05:47 AM

10,205 posts, read 4,782,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have never ordered a loaded baked potato, nor have I ever made one. I never thought the calories were worth it. I think if more people thought that way, that the enormous calorie count of a certain food is not worth eating, I think it might cut down on obesity. I think if people actually paid attention to how many calories are in certain foods they might stop and make a better choice.
^^^This^^^ When I started to change my eating habits to lose some weight I noticed the calorie contact on everything. I went to Culvers one day for a burger or their delicious North Atlantic Cod and both were around 800+ calories. They had a pot roast sandwich on the menu that was about 400-500 calories. Even though it wasn't my first choice that's what I ordered. No more sodas either except maybe once a month. In the last 3 years I have lost 40 pounds and am now less than I was in my 30's and I am 64. Back into size 6's and 8's instead of 14's and 16's. I have maintained because I changed my habits, not because I went on a diet. When I'm satisfied I stop eating regardless of what is still in my plate. If I want something sweet I have grapes or some other fruit. I keep Lindt dark chocolate balls in the fridge and I have one when I must have chocolate where once I might have had four. I rarely eat white bread, rice or white potato.

I rejoined a gym and usually go three times a week. But I will admit when you have children at home it is much harder to eat like I do. While it's nice that chubby people aren't "fat shamed" like they were years ago, I think all this acceptance has made it more difficult for people to be concerned about their weight. Sure people come in all sizes but how many overweight or obese people did we see walking around 50 years ago? The stigma of being fat is disappearing and "acceptance" is the new thing.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM

1,698 posts, read 815,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The schools should be teaching and demonstrating nutritious eating and parents should as well. Our obesity epidemic is an embarrassing national tragedy. We can do much better.

It's up to parents. Schools adhere to what the federal government believes is a healthy diet, and that doesn't look anything like the plant paradox for which you advocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Weird. If I'm hungry and want pizza, but get an apple.... I still eat the apple, because, you know..... hunger.

Kids that don't eat apples and broccoli at home don't eat them at school either. The Obama program didn't improve the quality of the meals. It was worse in many cases, so kids took to Twitter and other platforms. Many schools that had joined the program and received additional federal funding for it, chose to drop out by 2015 or so because they couldn't comply.

The relaxed rules are not much different. Instead of requiring that 100% of grains must be whole grain, 50% can be non-whole grain. The glycemic difference between the two is negligible even though many have been misled to believe that whole grain is much healthier. Milk was required to be nonfat, even 2% milk was banned. Now 1% milk will be allowed.

If it were up to me, kids wouldn't be served so much grain and dairy, if any. But, government nutritionists disagree with me.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:45 AM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
The US government pushes dairy and grains bacause US farmers produce so much of them.

Read the books The Dorito Effect and Salt, Fat, Sugar, especially the chapter that describes the manipulation of demand for cheese, to use up dairyfat excess when whole milk became a “bad” product. According to the book, US consumption of dairy shot up by unbelieavable percentages during and after marketing brainwashed people into thinking it is normal that everything have cheese in it. And LOADS of cheese, not just a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness