U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 10:02 AM

31,171 posts, read 19,689,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The US government pushes dairy and grains bacause US farmers produce so much of them.

Read the books The Dorito Effect and Salt, Fat, Sugar, especially the chapter that describes the manipulation of demand for cheese, to use up dairyfat excess when whole milk became a “bad” product. According to the book, US consumption of dairy shot up by unbelieavable percentages during and after marketing brainwashed people into thinking it is normal that everything have cheese in it. And LOADS of cheese, not just a little bit.
It's the lobbying groups.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM

1,691 posts, read 811,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The US government pushes dairy and grains bacause US farmers produce so much of them.

Read the books The Dorito Effect and Salt, Fat, Sugar, especially the chapter that describes the manipulation of demand for cheese, to use up dairyfat excess when whole milk became a “bad” product. According to the book, US consumption of dairy shot up by unbelieavable percentages during and after marketing brainwashed people into thinking it is normal that everything have cheese in it. And LOADS of cheese, not just a little bit.

Farmers produce so much because the government controls supply and demand, and it's not very good at it. When supply first exceeded demand decades ago, the industry had to do something with it so snack and other refined packaged foods were born.

That is correct about excess cheese too. The low quality excess dairy gets "used up" to make cheese and cheese products. Some other countries well known for cheeses use only the highest quality dairy to make them, not the leftover stuff.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,385,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Farmers produce so much because the government controls supply and demand, and it's not very good at it. When supply first exceeded demand decades ago, the industry had to do something with it so snack and other refined packaged foods were born.

That is correct about excess cheese too. The low quality excess dairy gets "used up" to make cheese and cheese products. Some other countries well known for cheeses use only the highest quality dairy to make them, not the leftover stuff.
Its not just other countries. There are at least 10 different cheese producers where I live and they are all high, high quality. Of course this is not the norm. When people buy cheese they should be looking for cheese with the least amount of ingredients.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM

6,542 posts, read 10,612,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's pretty much a myth that has been debunked by several studies. And when you think about it, wouldn't it be obvious? People go to farmers' markets precisely because the produce there is less expensive than at a supermarket. If it wasn't, people would just purchase their produce at the much more convenient local supermarket.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...t-myth/238661/

https://www.thekitchn.com/mythbustin...kets-ar-146648

https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/08/27...n-supermarkets
Yeah, I don't buy this meme and excuse that eating healthy costs more than junk food, and one doesn't have to go to a farmer's market either: just one example out of hundreds, a bag of lentils and a bag of whole grain rice cost less than a bag of Doritos and you are set for a week.

Junk and other crappy processed food is EXPENSIVE, fresh or dry single, ingredient food is relatively cheap and absolutely a better value.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM

377 posts, read 223,332 times
Sugar, salt and oil are added to to most processed food and many beverages. Prescription pills mess with our hormones. All these chemicals are causing diabetic, cancer and cardiovascular diseases. I recommend buying real food; not food in any restaurant or from any container found at the supermarket. Avoid "sickcare" and take charge of your own healthcare.

Last edited by slowdude222; 05-11-2019 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM

1,809 posts, read 606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-Meh View Post
Fat people must eat less. If fat people do not eat for 4 days, they will lose 5 to 6 kilos. Survival programs of TV show people can live without food for 10 days.
While you're right, this is not a healthy way to lose weight and they'll gain it right back once they start eating again. Slow and steady, fewer processed foods, less meat, more vegetables and portion control is the way to do it. Exercise helps but is not a 100% solution. According to my electronic gadgets I burn about 1,200 calories in a 35-mile bike ride- easy to undo by eating a bag of Doritos.

Quote:
If they are eating crap at home, a healthy lunch is not going to counteract that. And, there is nothing stopping parents from sending healthier lunches to school with their kids.
Maybe exposing them to "good stuff" at school will expand their horizons. And if the food was going into the trash the kids weren't very hungry. I appreciate your noting that parents can supply a lunch for their kid to take to school- that used to be how it was and now it seems everyone is hooked on "free" lunches and it's the responsibility of the taxpayers.

I have two granddaughters, ages 2 1/2 and 5, and I'm amazed at the wide variety of food they eat. We took them to a Thai restaurant 2 nights ago and I ordered two plates of seaweed salad knowing that they liked it. Their eyes lit up when they brought it to the table and the adults didn't get much! When I was in Costco buying groceries for myself they got all excited at the bag of red, orange and yellow peppers I put into the cart so I got one for their family, too. The 5-year old will no longer eat broccoli or cauliflower but we don't fight her on that- she eats so much other healthy stuff.

This is how they were raised. Fortunately Grandma gets a break and is allowed to feed the the occasional Starbucks cake pop or ice cream sandwich.

Last edited by athena53; 05-12-2019 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 AM

13,542 posts, read 9,212,542 times
It is all the fake crap added to food since the 70's.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:01 AM

18,122 posts, read 9,395,568 times
Quote:
It's up to parents. Schools adhere to what the federal government believes is a healthy diet, and that doesn't look anything like the plant paradox for which you advocate.

Kids that don't eat apples and broccoli at home don't eat them at school either. The Obama program didn't improve the quality of the meals. It was worse in many cases, so kids took to Twitter and other platforms. Many schools that had joined the program and received additional federal funding for it, chose to drop out by 2015 or so because they couldn't comply.

The relaxed rules are not much different. Instead of requiring that 100% of grains must be whole grain, 50% can be non-whole grain. The glycemic difference between the two is negligible even though many have been misled to believe that whole grain is much healthier. Milk was required to be nonfat, even 2% milk was banned. Now 1% milk will be allowed.

If it were up to me, kids wouldn't be served so much grain and dairy, if any. But, government nutritionists disagree with me.
I agree that they need to reduce grain and dairy and also sugar in what they feed kids at school. I do also think parents need to teach their kids good nutrition but most will need to get some knowledge first as most Americans seen to have little knowledge as evidenced by how unhealthy so many find themselves.

I don't necessarily think schools should advocate a particular diet but they should be teaching nutrition science that is as little influenced by the big food industry advocacy groups as possible.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:45 AM

6,542 posts, read 10,612,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

I don't necessarily think schools should advocate a particular diet but they should be teaching nutrition science that is as little influenced by the big food industry advocacy groups as possible.
I see your point, but ...

Experience and common sense beat "science" a long, long, long time ago.

It's the "science" that has screwed things up.

Hmmm, which is science (I know), as in "experience and common sense over time", and which is "science", as in the propaganda fad of the day?

Because that what seems to pass for "science" nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post

Last edited by bale002; 05-13-2019 at 03:11 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 AM

560 posts, read 186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
lol fake crap has been added to foods since long before the 70s. TV dinners became a big thing in the 1950s. Coca cola was invented in 1892.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness