Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:56 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,274 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Ive had ear problems my entire life such as tubes a dozen times as a kid and the horrifying reconstructive eardrum surgery to patch them when I was a teenager to try to make them as normal as possible after all that.

I am still prone to ear infections every few years and have already had 2 this year. Because of my history, I always get to the doctor after I've had it a few days because their prescriptions and sometimes shot can help me bounce back quicker.. Does anyone have any methods that work better thats OTC or a home remedy before I have to pay $80-$95 every ear infection (with health insurance too and belongs on a political forum)

Old 05-09-2019, 08:17 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
No.

Infections need antibiotics. Get a MD visit before it worsens into something else.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No.

Infections need antibiotics. Get a MD visit before it worsens into something else.
This is absolutely not true for ear infections. Antibiotics are usually not recommended for ear infections anymore. https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/c...infection.html

OP- what symptoms do you have with ear infection? Do you have nasal congestion as well? I had tubes just one time as a kid (apparently had some Eustachian tube dysfunction) but I also have a deviated septum and that causes congestion that also backs things up into the side of the face that has the deviated septum. My allergist has recommended primarily relying on OTC allergy meds (Zyrtec in the morning, Allegra and Flonase at night) along with occasional Sudafed if needed. I also have a prescription nasal spray. If you have a membership to a place like Costco or Sam’s, you can get most of these things much cheaper than at other stores. The membership fee is worth it just for these medications. You can get a 5-month supply of all of these for under $75 (and that includes a year’s worth of Zyrtec and 6 months of Allegra). Obviously this isn’t the way to go when you initially start since you have to commit to huge quantities, but once you know they work, it is a very inexpensive alternative.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Do you swim?

If the infections follow swim sessions, dry the ear canals immediately after a dunk, by putting a few drops of 50% isopropyl alcohol/50% vinegar into each ear, one side at a time. Keep the head tilted to let the mixture contact the insides, then tilt the head to drain out that side. Repeat for the other side.

I learned this after one ear became full and itchy inside after swimming in a heavily used pond. The ear felt better within minutes and soon was perfectly normal.

Preventing the bacteria from multiplying in the first place would be best, and that means drying the ears ASAP. The alcohol dries; the vinegar is to help maintain pH balance.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
My son's ear infections went away after a chiropractic adjustment (gentle), stopping sugar and dairy, and a homeopathic remedy (don't know which one).

He had had 13 ear infections by 18 months old.

Dairy is still an issue for him 30 years later, so he avoids it.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is absolutely not true for ear infections. Antibiotics are usually not recommended for ear infections anymore. https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/c...infection.html

OP- what symptoms do you have with ear infection? Do you have nasal congestion as well? I had tubes just one time as a kid (apparently had some Eustachian tube dysfunction) but I also have a deviated septum and that causes congestion that also backs things up into the side of the face that has the deviated septum. My allergist has recommended primarily relying on OTC allergy meds (Zyrtec in the morning, Allegra and Flonase at night) along with occasional Sudafed if needed. I also have a prescription nasal spray. If you have a membership to a place like Costco or Sam’s, you can get most of these things much cheaper than at other stores. The membership fee is worth it just for these medications. You can get a 5-month supply of all of these for under $75 (and that includes a year’s worth of Zyrtec and 6 months of Allegra). Obviously this isn’t the way to go when you initially start since you have to commit to huge quantities, but once you know they work, it is a very inexpensive alternative.
Usually they start with mild to severe colds then work their way into my middle ear behind my ear drum.

I have tried sudafed before but a DR told me to stay away from it.. But I am going to look into the others and take these aggressively any signs of a cold for now on (that usually starts these things and I'm tired of them)

Thanks for your input

Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do you swim?

If the infections follow swim sessions, dry the ear canals immediately after a dunk, by putting a few drops of 50% isopropyl alcohol/50% vinegar into each ear, one side at a time. Keep the head tilted to let the mixture contact the insides, then tilt the head to drain out that side. Repeat for the other side.

I learned this after one ear became full and itchy inside after swimming in a heavily used pond. The ear felt better within minutes and soon was perfectly normal.

Preventing the bacteria from multiplying in the first place would be best, and that means drying the ears ASAP. The alcohol dries; the vinegar is to help maintain pH balance.
Very rarely do I swim, When I get water in my ear the pressure can hurt it if it hits it wrong but this is not a frequent problem at all

Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My son's ear infections went away after a chiropractic adjustment (gentle), stopping sugar and dairy, and a homeopathic remedy (don't know which one).

He had had 13 ear infections by 18 months old.

Dairy is still an issue for him 30 years later, so he avoids it.
I do like dairy too much.. So maybe I avoid it when I get signs of a cold coming.. I thought of this.. Kind of depressing I enjoy milk with cereal and ice cream once in a while and yogurt.. Sigh haha

Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
I had a lot of earaches as a child. My mother used a drop or two of warm olive oil. It worked.

Have you ever seen olive oil go bad? I think that like honey it has a natural antibiotic in it.

You did mention home remedies in the title.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:51 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Have you been tested for allergies? If not I'd go to a doctor and have allergy tests. If you treat your allergies, it may keep the number of ear infections down.

As for the post above, olive oil can definitely go bad (rancid). It does not have the same properties as honey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.