U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 AM

13,689 posts, read 12,541,510 times

Advertisements

I wash my legs. It never occurred to me to not wash my legs. Are people only washing their armpits and “private” regions? I already know that some don’t wash their butts thoroughly because we discussed it in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 AM

14,350 posts, read 8,266,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Got to be the silliest question asked here today. Why is it anyone's business what others do in their own showers? If their skin is healthy it must be enough. There was an equally silly question about scrubbing feet in the shower a while back too. What is "normal" anyway?
I used to be shocked at the questions asked here. I will never be shocked again. Ask anyone who was around in 2016 when the realism (or not) of Barbie vs. a human woman's measurements was discussed for about 800 posts

Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,585,575 times
I don't scrub my legs every day. A few times per week, I guess, when I exfoliate and shave (with shower gel, which is soap). I suppose I really don't get all that dirty. I usually wear long pants or capris, I keep my legs shaved most of the time, and I have an office-type job in a climate-controlled environment, so I'm not sweating. How dirty can my legs really get?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM

8,092 posts, read 5,756,663 times
I don't know if it's normal or not but I wash my legs. I wash everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Absolutely. It is not recommended for everyone to do an intense scrub of all of their body everyday because it can remove the skin’s natural moisture barrier. If you have dry arms/legs, scrubbing them on a daily basis is only going to make it worse. I usually do scrub my torso/shoulders and upper thighs, but don’t spend that much time on the rest of my legs and lower arms because they tend to get fairly dry. Obviously if I am doing something where they get dirty, they will get a thorough wash, but otherwise, they will get a good rinse.
This is probably the best answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I wash my legs. It never occurred to me to not wash my legs. Are people only washing their armpits and “private” regions? I already know that some don’t wash their butts thoroughly because we discussed it in another thread.
Lmao. I'd love to see the replies...am about to go search right now.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM

13,689 posts, read 12,541,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't scrub my legs every day. A few times per week, I guess, when I exfoliate and shave (with shower gel, which is soap). I suppose I really don't get all that dirty. I usually wear long pants or capris, I keep my legs shaved most of the time, and I have an office-type job in a climate-controlled environment, so I'm not sweating. How dirty can my legs really get?
I never get in the shower thinking, “Oh my legs are so dirty! I’d better make sure I scrub them daily!” But why wouldn’t I wash them when I’m already in the shower anyway? It isn’t hard to do and only takes a few seconds. I mean, you could argue that several body parts don’t really get smelly or visibly dirty, but does that mean they should be excluded from washing when taking a shower?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,585,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I never get in the shower thinking, “Oh my legs are so dirty! I’d better make sure I scrub them daily!” But why wouldn’t I wash them when I’m already in the shower anyway? It isn’t hard to do and only takes a few seconds. I mean, you could argue that several body parts don’t really get smelly or visibly dirty, but does that mean they should be excluded from washing when taking a shower?
I don't know. I don't think about that either. I also don't scrub my elbows or wrists except for the days I exfoliate with a body loofah thing, to be honest. I don't know why. It's all automatic. I've been doing it this way since I started washing myself and I'm in my early 40s now (and married with children and I have friends and as far as I'm aware, nobody avoids me due to any lack of hygiene) so I probably won't change. I had never really considered this before the Twitter brouhaha... I assume probably nobody else really thought about it, either.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:40 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,281,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So you guys literally work your way down? Feet are the last things you wash? I guess that makes me weird for picking my feet up and washing them and then moving on to my legs? I wash my hands before my arms too. Weird, the topics that are fascinating on a boring 3am midweek morning.
Stuff runs down due to gravity. The dirt from your hair runs onto your body, then your legs, then finally your feet. If you wash your feet first, all the dirty, soapy stuff gets on them when you wash the rest of you.

That's the technical answer.

Since everything's getting clean and there's water running all over anyway, I doubt it really matters.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:02 PM

10,475 posts, read 21,142,202 times
Years ago I heard, "what's the 1st thing you wash and the last"? Then think about it for a minute... Most people said face with their butts being last.

Quote:
So you guys literally work your way down? Feet are the last things you wash? I guess that makes me weird for picking my feet up and washing them and then moving on to my legs? I wash my hands before my arms too.
I wash my hair then my face using face scrub. My hands are the 1st when I pick up the soap to lather it. My feet are the last

Quote:
Weird, the topics that are fascinating on a boring 3am midweek morning.
LOL

Old 05-16-2019, 04:46 PM

36,413 posts, read 41,421,723 times
Well, I shave my legs, which generally entails a wash.

Really, though, unless you've gotten intensely sweaty, or have a job/activities where you actually become very dirty, as in encrusted with grime, etc., most people are just as well off with a rinse as they are scrubbing with soap.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 502,994 times
Nope. I used to, but now I'm afraid that my back will spaz out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness