Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The OP has mentioned in some of his posts that he refuses to allow the doctor to do a digital rectal exam, which makes it difficult to determine much about what's going on "down there". If the doctor is limited to descriptions by the patient of his symptoms, he can only make educated guesses as to a diagnosis. The OP didn't say the doctor suggested a sigmoidoscopy, but one might imagine he'd be even less likely to allow this procedure since it's generally done with the patient awake and aware (and involves a digital rectal exam by the doc beforehand.)

Personally, if I were a doctor with a patient who repeatedly refused to allow even a basic examination of the problem area to see if there was any physical evidence of hemorrhoids, fissures, etc as a souce of bleeding, and who's dragging his feet about the colonoscopy, I'd fire him.

It's apparent that the OP is seeking to overrule medical advice which would seem obvious to most of us, either because of conflicts with his personal lifestyle choices (and we haven't even touched upon the subject of whether the OP smokes, for example) or personal hang-ups about rectal penetration and the like.

TO THE OP: Many of us in this particular forum are either connected with the health care system, or have been "customers" for involved procedures. We seek to share our knowledge and personal stories in the hope that mistakes we, or others made, won't be repeated. Too often, the knowledge is shared, but too late.

You have a condition which has to be approached with tact and sensitivity, but one that can have very serious consequences if it is ignored. Furthermore, these precautions have been offered to you by a system to which access is often "rationed" by HMO's and the like; take advantage of the opportunity.

Finally. speaking as a person who had little choice but to lose many of his hang-ups about procedures while not yet into his teens, get over yourself; sooner or later, you'll probably have to choose between enduring a few unpleasant experiences, or exposing yourself to more serious risks. And as several of us have pointed out, scientific progress has made some of those procedures less invasive, and less painful, than was the case a generation or two ago. We don't want to see you back next year with a real crisis, for which none of us can offer any help.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-17-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 11:12 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I had it done before 40 with similar symptoms. It turned out to be hemorrhoids as expected but it was good to know it was nothing more serious like the big C. Fast forward hitting 50ish and same symptoms persists and just had it done again, same result. The whole in and out process (pun not intended) took less than 3 hours total with an hour nap in between - didn't feel a thing. The first time had it done at a hospital and the hustle and bustle environment there felt a bit intimidating. The second time I did it at a local clinic where it's a bit more laid back and relaxing.

The toughest part about the prep was not eating and drinking all that stuff to flush out your body. Schedule the op early first thing in the morning so you can get a big brunch to reward yourself right after.
So for you hemms too, that's what I've been thinking and mentioned, but MOST here think in the Sky is Falling mentality, I do not. OP has gotten most pushes to DO IT. I've never said Don't. I look at all ways to go after issues in all of my life and for sure health world. And can think of at least one big regret, I believe.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-17-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 11:19 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
When I went to the emergency room they gave me a stool sample and it was negative
Technically; you gave them the stool sample but what was it negative for? Stool samples can be tested for blood, ova/parasites, bile, fat, pathogens, toxins, enzymes, etc ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
I really don’t want this colonoscopy test cause of the reasons I mentioned and plus I think it’s hemms. The test is this Friday. Should I reschedule? Should I do this test?
Just do it. Knowledge is power. Little old ladies who weigh 90 lbs tolerate colonoscopies just fine. So do little kids. A young guy like you won't have any problems.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So for you hemms too, that's what I've been thinking and mentioned, but MOST here think in the Sky is Falling mentality, I do not. OP has gotten most pushes to DO IT. I've never said Don't. I look at all ways to go after issues in all of my life and for sure health world.
Yes we know, you hate modern medicine, which is your choice. The OP would be a fool at this point to not have a colonoscopy but he obviously has reservations. Your posts are not helpful.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes we know, you hate modern medicine, which is your choice. The OP would be a fool at this point to not have a colonoscopy but he obviously has reservations. Your posts are not helpful.
This is an opinion board, right? And I don't hate modern medicine but I do believe it's overused for many issues that were never used for decades. And many people have blood and that is so often from hemms, I was there and I speak from my life's experiences. And so many tests today are very invasive and can do harm too. My opinion.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I've done my last 3 w/o any sedation. Not a big deal at all. No pain. When its done just get dressed and go about your day. I realize some people might have more complicated colons but my guess is that the sedation is more for the convenience of the staff than it is for the patient.
I have mine done without sedation too. A nurse practitioner suggested not accepting sedation because the drugs they sedate you with suppress memory of the event so some doctors get rough knowing the patient won't recall it. The problem is that if they try to work too quickly or are not gentle it increases the chance of you ending up with a perforated colon.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
OP needs to grow up. Medical tests are part of life.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
So it's Friday afternoon. I wonder if the OP went through with the colonoscopy?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:01 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
He probably doesn't want a doctors finger shoved up his butt
And how much more often will that happen if he develops colon cancer?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is an opinion board, right? And I don't hate modern medicine but I do believe it's overused for many issues that were never used for decades. And many people have blood and that is so often from hemms, I was there and I speak from my life's experiences. And so many tests today are very invasive and can do harm too. My opinion.
Your opinion ignores the risk that the bleeding is not due to "hemms". Treating for "hemms" when that is not the cause of the problem does not benefit the patient and could lead to the need for procedures much more invasive than a colonoscopy, as many here have pointed out. If it is "hemms", then the more serious things are ruled out and OP can be treated for his "hemms".

He could also have "hemms" and something more serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness