U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 AM

19,607 posts, read 10,894,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The prep isn't fun but the actual colonoscopy is not the big deal some make it out to be. Get it done. The one day of inconvenience prepping for it is a small price to pay should it turn out to be cancer. One of my brothers put off getting his 1st one at 50 and at 53 found himself with cancer and two major surgeries that could have been avoided had he just gone when he was supposed to.
Yes. I'm in my mid 60s and I've had three so far--all negative.

No, the prep isn't pleasant, but the procedure itself is painless. I'm not a fan of general anesthesia, but I can't list any negatives about the procedure. Over and done, no side effects, no after effects.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM

3,848 posts, read 2,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
The GI doctor said it’s probably most likely hemmorroids but wants to do the colonoscopy to make sure it’s nothing else such as ulcers or IBS. I’m just uncomfortable with not eating for a whole day
Think how uncomfortable colon cancer (unlikely given your age but you never know) would be. If not treated IBS or ulcers will very likely get worse.

Seriously, I've had 3 to rule out various things and it's not a big deal. You can usually eat clear broth, jello and popsicles (not red) the day before. Once you start the prep you are not hungry.

Have the test and get it over with. After you've had it, you'll see it's not a big deal.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 3,242 times
I had a colonoscopy. The most uncomfortable part was drinking all that fluid the day before. The colonoscopy part itself is not a problem as you will be out (they will ask you to count backwards from 100, you will be out before you get to 98).

You might try rinsing yourself back there instead of using toilet paper, and then patting dry with a towel (think bidet). I realize you probably can not do this at work, but maybe try it at home over a weekend.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 AM

71,358 posts, read 82,765,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
Iím 34 and my GI doctor wants me to have a colonoscopy because of my symptoms. My symptoms are itchy and pain sometimes when I use the bathroom. There is also blood on the tissue sometimes when I wipe myself. The itching is what bothers me the most. I could be walking down the street and it randomly start itching.

I was suppose to get a colonoscopy months ago and posted a thread on here about it months ago but never got the colonoscopy. A few weeks ago my butt was hurting me so bad that I had to go to the emergency room. They gave me Lidocaine there and it numbed the pain. My GI doctor wants me to do a colonoscopy this Friday. I am nervous and donít know if I can go a whole day without eating. Iím 5í8 160 but just donít know if I can go a whole day without eating. Iím also nervous about the prep drink too and 2 pills I have to take. The not eating part is bothering me.

When I went to the emergency room they gave me a stool sample and it was negative

I really donít want this colonoscopy test cause of the reasons I mentioned and plus I think itís hemms. The test is this Friday. Should I reschedule? Should I do this test?

Edit: another thing I forgot to mention is that I usually eat Digorno pizza 4 nights a week. I donít eat it for dinner though, itís my late night snack around 9pm 3-4 nights a week. Not sure if this is relative to my situation but just wanted to mention it
What are you afraid of: the procedure alone or the outcome? No, it isn't a fun day, but it is over almost befor it is started. As for not eating for a day. There are usually a few thins you can eat to give you strength. Of course there is not many. The prep is the worst but even then really not that awful. So go, have it done and stop fretting. Most of us have been through it, chances are there is nothing really wrong and it will all be good. It is better to have it done, get it over with, and find out you are fine Then you will be able to put this he behind you.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Status: "NO Biden!; (or any other Democrat)" (set 21 days ago)

12,199 posts, read 7,367,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What are you afraid of: the procedure alone or the outcome?
And remember too, that even if the test "finds something". the procedures for dealing with it are less risky, less costly, and likely less intrusive if a problem is detected early. President Reagan had colon surgery at age 75 and, the eventual Alzheimer's diagnosis notwithstanding, did enjoy another ten productive years.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM

9,616 posts, read 6,886,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breoul View Post
I had a colonoscopy. The most uncomfortable part was drinking all that fluid the day before. The colonoscopy part itself is not a problem as you will be out (they will ask you to count backwards from 100, you will be out before you get to 98).

You might try rinsing yourself back there instead of using toilet paper, and then patting dry with a towel (think bidet). I realize you probably can not do this at work, but maybe try it at home over a weekend.
That'd help the irritation. I also found that applying a little vaseline, or other ointments such as Desitin, to the area between trips to the john helps to keep the irritation at a minimum.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 AM

26,238 posts, read 62,244,701 times
Relax. it is really fun.

More seriously, the procedure is not a big deal. They give you the Michael Jackson drug (according to the nurse this is the drug that Michael Jackson was addicted to and died from). It makes you go to sleep. You wake up feeling more refreshed than you have felt in decades. Your designated driver takes you home and you take another nap. Then the next day you get up and go to work.

There is no pain or discomfort other than them putting in the IV needle. Do not let them put it in your hand. That is awful. Elbow or tell them to take to you to a different clinic/hospital. Also if you are uncomfortable, some doctors valium to calm you down in advance.

Prep is awful. You drink antifreeze and have diarrhea for hours and hours. You end up just sitting on the toilet for four hours because there is no point in getting up. Have a good book or Soduku at hand. Be sure you start at the time the doctor tells you to or you will be up all night. the prep is the only nasty part. Funny thing is, some people do it on purpose without being forced to . They call it "cleansing"

If you do not do it, you can end up dying a horrible death from something they could have treated and made go away if it was caught early (colon cancer). Happened to my grandma. If they catch it early, they can rmeove it before it spreads. If it spreads, you die - quickly and horribly.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Status: "NO Biden!; (or any other Democrat)" (set 21 days ago)

12,199 posts, read 7,367,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

There is no pain or discomfort other than them putting in the IV needle. Do not let them put it in your hand. That is awful. Elbow or tell them to take to you to a different clinic/hospital. Also if you are uncomfortable, some doctors valium to calm you down in advance.
Could not agree more on that point, but I've been told that in some cases (colonoscopy is definitely NOT one of them) IV via the wrist is essential. I can still recall the only time I had to endure it -- during a seven-hour operation in which all anesthesia was via IV (and I was ten years old at the time).

So keep your eyes open (as long as possible) and stand your ground; insist on all IV's via the forearm.

(if somebody from within the medical profession knows a justification for IV's via the wrist, please explain it.)

Old 05-15-2019, 10:31 AM

5,210 posts, read 2,670,143 times
Jeez, just do it. You have some strange symptoms and your doc already recommended getting a colonoscopy.

People talk about it like it is a painful ordeal. It is not painful, nor is the prep. The prep is merely unpleasant and disruptive for one day. You have to fast on that day, and stay close to a toilet. The urge to ďgoĒ is only that; it is NOT like having illness-caused diarrhea. No cramps or nausea involved. You are simply clearing out what is in your digestive tract.

The doc might find and remove some benign polyps (common). But he/she might find malignant things starting up, which you would want to treat earlier than later, right? Better to deal with a day or two of inconvenience than multiple, long medical procedures.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM

9,616 posts, read 6,886,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
When you are drinking quarts of the prep liquid, you won't feel hungry, believe me. If your doctor says to do it, do it. Although I don't know why they can't rule out hemorrhoids with a different test.
A flexible sigmoidoscopy would rule out hemorrhoids, polyps, or other sources of bleeding from the rectum through the ascending colon, though often this is done in a physician's office with no anesthesia, and from what the OP has said he wouldn't go for that- he said he couldn't even tolerate a digital rectal exam. Though IIRC my daughter had a sigmoidoscopy (with banding of internal hemorrhoids) done under conscious sedation in a surgery center-overkill if you ask me but they didn't, LOL. But my mother had one done recently in the doc's office, no sedation.

I'm speculating that while the OP believes his bleeding is likely due to hemorrhoids, and his doc may believe that it's most likely hemorrhoids causing his problems, the colonoscopy under anesthesia would detect, or rule out bleeding not only from hemorrhoids if those are present, but bleeding from any source higher up in the colon. If he didn't find hemorrhoids causing the bleeding with a flexible sigmoidoscopy, further testing (such as a colonoscopy) would be needed to find the source of bleeding, so the doc is going with one stop shopping method for finding this source of bleeding.

Also with the OP under anesthesia, the doc has a chance to get a good look at the external and internal areas around the anus and rectum, to evaluate any problems there. I've read this is usually done anyway as part of a colonoscopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness