U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,169,317 times

Advertisements

Hi all - asking for my wife- she's been on the Mirena IUD for 6 months, and still is spotting for over half the month. She calls her OBGYN and gives her a 2 week supply of Estradiol 1mg tablet to take for 2 weeks. OBGYN doc says it will "reset" everything and stop the bleeding.

But the thing is - we are going on a large trip to visit family at the end of June and have no idea how to "time" this. Should she just take this 2 week Estradiol course now or does anyone have any suggestions on how to time this 2 week course prior to June 22?

Another suggestion I found is that Naproxen (an NSAID) 500mg daily before a trip will reduce/stop bleeding from a new IUD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM

6,531 posts, read 2,620,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Hi all - asking for my wife- she's been on the Mirena IUD for 6 months, and still is spotting for over half the month. She calls her OBGYN and gives her a 2 week supply of Estradiol 1mg tablet to take for 2 weeks. OBGYN doc says it will "reset" everything and stop the bleeding.

But the thing is - we are going on a large trip to visit family at the end of June and have no idea how to "time" this. Should she just take this 2 week Estradiol course now or does anyone have any suggestions on how to time this 2 week course prior to June 22?

Another suggestion I found is that Naproxen (an NSAID) 500mg daily before a trip will reduce/stop bleeding from a new IUD.
These are very specific questions OP. She should ask the prescribing gynecologist about timing the medication. They probably have a lot more direct experience with this.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

4,737 posts, read 2,176,981 times
I wouldn’t want to leave on vacation just coming off the hormone; I’d want to time it to where she comes off of it just when you get back home. I’ve been on that stuff several times before. Last time was a few months ago & I haven’t even had a period yet.

The time before that I was bleeding within 24 hours of my last dose. I have a small amount ordered for me to take “as needed”, that I can take with me if I go out of town. That was ordered as a precaution prior to me going camping with the kids in an extremely remote location in Colorado, at 9,000+ ft elevation. The day before we left I had to have 2 units of blood transfused to “get me through”.

Has your wife had her blood cell count drawn recently? If she’s not low, the doctor may be okay with her waiting to start but I wouldn’t go anywhere without doing the labs first & the doctors consent.

Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM

694 posts, read 1,112,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
These are very specific questions OP. She should ask the prescribing gynecologist about timing the medication. They probably have a lot more direct experience with this.
I agree. I have been through this before with various birth control forms for myself or my daughters and also perimenopause. There is usually an instruction to begin on a certain day of the cycle and continue for X amount of days.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,169,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I wouldn’t want to leave on vacation just coming off the hormone; I’d want to time it to where she comes off of it just when you get back home. I’ve been on that stuff several times before. Last time was a few months ago & I haven’t even had a period yet.

The time before that I was bleeding within 24 hours of my last dose. I have a small amount ordered for me to take “as needed”, that I can take with me if I go out of town. That was ordered as a precaution prior to me going camping with the kids in an extremely remote location in Colorado, at 9,000+ ft elevation. The day before we left I had to have 2 units of blood transfused to “get me through”.

Has your wife had her blood cell count drawn recently? If she’s not low, the doctor may be okay with her waiting to start but I wouldn’t go anywhere without doing the labs first & the doctors consent.

Thanks for your experiences. I also suspected that these tablets would be better taken DURING the trip.

Also, I will tell her to call the OBGYN office - I just came on here because this office is SO difficult to get a hold of someone, let alone get a legit answer. Will need to change clinics unfortunately but lots of insurance issues. I'm surprised she was able to get a prescription set over to the pharmacy with just a voicemail. All they said was that "nothing else is needed because IUDs can still cause spotting for around 6 months."

Old Today, 04:53 AM

3,723 posts, read 1,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Thanks for your experiences. I also suspected that these tablets would be better taken DURING the trip.

Also, I will tell her to call the OBGYN office - I just came on here because this office is SO difficult to get a hold of someone, let alone get a legit answer. Will need to change clinics unfortunately but lots of insurance issues. I'm surprised she was able to get a prescription set over to the pharmacy with just a voicemail. All they said was that "nothing else is needed because IUDs can still cause spotting for around 6 months."
This is true. It is actually a year. Spotting is not really that disabling. I can see if she had true bleeding. Spotting is more annoying than anything else. I probably had it 6 months and I think my sister had it a year.

Old Today, 10:12 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,543,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is true. It is actually a year. Spotting is not really that disabling. I can see if she had true bleeding. Spotting is more annoying than anything else. I probably had it 6 months and I think my sister had it a year.
I'm close to year 3 and still spotting about 10-12 days out of the month plus a regular 7 day period. My hormones are fine. It's just more annoying than anything else. My gyn has offered to pull it but it's like "whatever, it's working fine in the way I need it to."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness