Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:57 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

I get earwax build up every few weeks, and need to make an appointment to see a doc, so he can flush them out, but it's a drag cause then I always have to wait at least a week or more and the build up hurts. Is it possible to flush them out myself, rather than having to wait to rely on the doc to do it every time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 AM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
Sure it is. But as with any "self performed medical procedure" not everyone can trust themselves to do them properly. A ruptured ear drum or permanent ear damage is non reversible. Buyer Beware.

https://www.amazon.com/Hear-Earwax-R...s%2C313&sr=8-5

Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
has the doctor never given you advice about how to prevent it from building up to that extent?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
Sure it is. But as with any "self performed medical procedure" not everyone can trust themselves to do them properly. A ruptured ear drum or permanent ear damage is non reversible. Buyer Beware.

https://www.amazon.com/Hear-Earwax-R...s%2C313&sr=8-5
If you use the drops and a bulb syringe to flush our your eardrum, that should help. A lot of time those come in a kit at the drug store and they’ve been recommended by my PCP in the past when I had buildup. It sounds like the OP gets really fast buildup, so he might benefit by just putting a drop of the remover in on a regular basis.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Oh okay. The doctor's methods just flushes the ear out with water, and no drops are needed. Instead of using drops, he just uses a whole flush. Is that an option, or no?

Basically I get the build up from working in factory jobs where you have to wear ear plugs, and wearing them causes wax build up every few weeks. So I don't think the doc has any other advice, than get a new line of work I think.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
The couple of times I've had my ears flushed by a doctor's office instead of doing it at home, the main difference was their apparatus. It created a stronger longer flush than my little bulb at home could.

This is easy OP. You can get an "earwax removal aid" from a drug store, maybe even a supermarket. It consists of a syringe bulb and some ear wax loosening solution (basically hydrogen peroxide and some sort of oil or glycerin to soften the wax). You put the solution in your ear and let it sit for a while. You'll hear the peroxide foam as it works on thinning and loosening the wax. Then flush your ear out using the bulb and warm water. The bulb is the main reason for buying the product, as you can easily make a solution out of peroxide and warm water maybe adding a drop of baby oil.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:54 AM

Oh okay, thanks! It's just the doctor never had to use hydrogen peroxide prior to the flush, so I didn't think it was necessary.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The couple of times I've had my ears flushed by a doctor's office instead of doing it at home, the main difference was their apparatus. It created a stronger longer flush than my little bulb at home could.

This is easy OP. You can get an "earwax removal aid" from a drug store, maybe even a supermarket. It consists of a syringe bulb and some ear wax loosening solution (basically hydrogen peroxide and some sort of oil or glycerin to soften the wax). You put the solution in your ear and let it sit for a while. You'll hear the peroxide foam as it works on thinning and loosening the wax. Then flush your ear out using the bulb and warm water. The bulb is the main reason for buying the product, as you can easily make a solution out of peroxide and warm water maybe adding a drop of baby oil.
The hydrogen peroxide method is VERY slow going, have to do it over and over again to clean an ear out completely. the peroxide eats the wax away, but it takes a long time to do it.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The hydrogen peroxide method is VERY slow going, have to do it over and over again to clean an ear out completely. the peroxide eats the wax away, but it takes a long time to do it.
Guess that depends on how old the wax buildup is. Now that I recognize when an ear (one of mine tends to plug more easily) may be getting plugged sooner, I clean it out sooner so the solution works better. I've found that pre-treating my ears once before flushing usually works. But, everyone's ears are different. It also helps to do it right after a warm shower...everything is warmed up, moist, plus you've been massaging and scrubbing your scalp and ears anyway.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, thanks! It's just the doctor never had to use hydrogen peroxide prior to the flush, so I didn't think it was necessary.
It may not be. Again, they use a stronger flush apparatus and can look into your ear canal to see what's there, where, and whether they've gotten rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness