U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 PM

14,475 posts, read 8,332,907 times

Advertisements

i just started a long term double blind clinical trial testing the possible effectiveness of a new synthetic anthrax vaccine. (No, they are not injecting me with the disease bacterium itself; just one of two possible anthrax vaccines or a placebo.) I am excited to be part of advancing medical science. Have any of you taken part in a clinical trial? Did you enjoy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 PM

23,203 posts, read 27,987,592 times
Our older son did, while he was on chemo for his leukemia. I can't say it was enjoyable, though!

Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM

3,821 posts, read 2,693,500 times
I did, back when I had daily chronic hives. I was desperate to try anything. Whatever they gave me, it didn't work.

Now that I'm older, I would never do a trial. I don't want to take any meds at all.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 6,156,612 times
I entered a procedure trial for BPH at my urologist's office.

It was a hot vapor (can you say steam?) treatment to shrink the prostate under anesthesia. Only reason that I did it was that even though double-blind, the blind would be opened after (I think) 6 months and if you got the placebo (I did---It was just a cystoscope exam) you could elect to receive the steam cleaning (I did because the trial results were good)

That was 5 years ago and still no BPH (A hell of a lot better then going through rotor-rooter like my doc said that I needed)

BTW, the Resume therapy is approved today for BPH and may be approved for prostate cancer (that I didn't have)

Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 PM

348 posts, read 157,351 times
Yes, for an experimental herpes vaccine. It was deemed to be not effective. I was in the placebo group and so, received the hepatitis A vaccine. I was in college and so enjoyed the extra money.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:18 PM

86,830 posts, read 102,147,201 times
Sort of. They herded my nursing school class into a room and drew blood for rubella (German measles) titers. Those who hadn't had the disease had to get this "experimental" vaccine. I was already immune; I lucked out. This was just about a year before the vaccine came on the market, so I think it was one of the final trials.

My daughter was in a trial for a DTP-hib vaccine back in 1989. I had to keep a log and she had to get titers drawn. She was about 18 months old and hated it.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 AM

8,107 posts, read 11,828,516 times
Yes. I was in a study at NIH to test the efficacy of having Interferon Beta injections to treat ulcerative colitis. I had gone through all of the approved drugs for ulcerative colitis at the time, so this was a last-ditch attempt at staving off a total colectomy. I enjoyed being in the trial as it reduced my flare-ups during the course of the study, but I didn't enjoy the colonoscopies every three months, lol.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 AM

183 posts, read 53,863 times
I’m nearing the end of a clinical trial for aortic valve replacement-a technique involving only 3 stitches (benefit is far less time on the heart/lung machine during surgery) that’s been approved in Europe. It’s been fairly simple- yearly trip to the heart clinic for labs, an echocardiogram, and interview with nurse and surgeon.This fall will be year 6 of a 7 year trial, so it’s almost over.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 PM

16,356 posts, read 5,304,496 times
I was part of a UCSF study on telomeres. Telomeres are like fringe attached to the ends of your DNA. They are longest at birth and shorten as we age. Telomere length can also be affected by stress and other factors. When your telomeres become too short, your cells can no longer regenerate themselves and you die. Long telomeres are correlated with longer life spans and vice-versa.

Participants in the study were given the choice to learn their results or not. I opted to know mine. I thought knowing my telomere length would be helpful in making plans for the future - when to start taking Social Security, for example.

There is longevity in my family tree, so I was shocked to learn that my telomeres are in the shortest 20% for my age group. Since learning this I have been more diligent about taking care of my health and avoiding stress as much as possible. That was eight years ago, and I'm still here, knock wood.

Old Today, 01:20 PM

1,660 posts, read 518,709 times
There is an excellent 3 part series we just bought off Apple TV, done by The Discovery Channel. The title is “First in Human”. It’s a moving show. The National Institutes of Health allowed a camera crew, for the first time ever, to follow 4 people entered into clinical trials there. Here’s a trailer. It’s well worth the watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=RgcYFpowrao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or