U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 1,292 times

Advertisements

What are the symptoms of sleep walking and how we can handle this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 11:04 AM

23,235 posts, read 8,056,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesboone View Post
I've never dealt with this one but I've read/heard some sleep drugs can bring this on.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,645,955 times
Quote:
Read up about REM sleep behavior disorder. The person who has symptoms of this should be seen by a sleep doctor for an accurate diagnosis and treatment. Here's a link to get you started:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20352920

(Editing this because I just now looked at your profile and it says that you are an internal medicine physician. Is that true, and if so, how can you not already know the answer to your question? )

Last edited by vrexy; 06-01-2019 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 09:17 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,614,871 times
I have a sibling that was a sleep walker as a child and probably still does it to this day. I read once that people who sleep walk have something in their brain that doesn't shut off normally. She would leave the house in the night and locks out of reach had to be put on the doors for safety. I would talk to her when I would encounter her sleep walking and say, "Why don't you go back to bed?" or "Go back to bed" or "Go back to your room and go to sleep." Remarkably, this always seemed to work. She could carry on a conversation asleep and have no memory of it whatsoever. She would walk all around the house and would sometimes be standing in the dark looking out a window. Perfectly normal otherwise and highly productive and successful in life.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 PM

12,061 posts, read 6,885,577 times
I would sleep walk occasionally as an elementary school child, but have never done this as an adult.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM

55,636 posts, read 54,234,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I would sleep walk occasionally as an elementary school child, but have never done this as an adult.
I remember my brother sleepwalking as a child.

As an adult, a friend of mine used to wake up with things like a bowl of melted ice cream and spoon in her bed with no recollection of having gotten up to get it.

I sent her an article I'd found on people who do this--get up in the night and eat with no memory of it. One was a mother who accused her family of eating leftovers she planned to use for another dinner. One of her kids said, "Oh c'mon, Mom, you always get up in the night and eat--you probably ate it yourself." She didn't know what her daughter was talking about, so her family put a camera in the kitchen. She was shocked to see herself on video opening the fridge and pulling out a bowl of spaghetti and stuffing handfuls of it in her mouth at 2 a.m.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM

6,401 posts, read 2,294,356 times
When I was a kid, I would sleep walk once in awhile. I remember once, being at my grandmas, and I went into where my parents were and (according to them) stood there in the door, holding a pillow, turning it from corner to corner over and over, but not saying a word. My mom said it was creepy. She asked me what was wrong (this I remember. I think her words broke the dream state or something) I told her I was trying to unfold my sheet. She told me to go back to bed...and I did.

I do TALK in my sleep fairly often, and I AM 'active' relatively often, in my sleep. Once, I round-house kicked my husband in bed because I thought I was fighting ninjas.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:17 PM

6,079 posts, read 2,798,708 times
Quote:
Symptoms?

Unsure that is the right terminology. It's not like the person has a fever or stomach pains. Those are symptoms...

What behavior is noticed during REM interruption is anything from twitching,to verbal sounds,to ambulation. The cognitive brain is minimally active . Think of it as mildly hallucinating (dream receptive), while being mildly aware of surroundings.

My sister suffered from this from childhood til present day. As comical as it was as kids...it became alarming when we found her boiling water on the stove and leaving the pot burn up. Or the time she started the car up and left it running...
Eventually we put alarms on doors . She currently has a congenital heart disease that impedes her movement. So while she tries to sleep talk and walk...her aparatus's snap her back reality.
I'd be curious if any research was done to confirm certain underlying health conditions were the cause....such as heart...or mental anxiety/ails.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:34 AM

858 posts, read 946,118 times
I think sleepwalking is fairly common in children but when an adult frequently does it, there's usually an underlying sleep disorder. I used to be a sleepwalker and worse (for me) a sleep eater. My wife would wake up to find me in the kitchen demolishing a whole pan of brownies or an entire half gallon of ice cream and steer me back to bed.

Turns out I had Obstructive Sleep Apnea.....bad. Once I got a CPAP machine and got used to it, the sleepwalking and eating stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or