U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 04:46 AM

44 posts, read 29,838 times

Advertisements

So, I'm 32 years old and I've had a swayback since early childhood, but until recently never paid much heed to it. My posture has always left much to be desired and as a child i was always told not to hunch my back to no avail. But two years ago I got severe pelvic problems and chronic kidney disease that I treated for a long time, for the constant pain in my lower back I related to the kidney inflammation and took antibiotics. After that i got my test results back and it showed no bacterial growth. But my back still hurt just as badly. During the whole winter I couldn't even sit up straight and was mostly lying in bed supported by a pillow (thankfully i can work online). When the winter was over and it got warmer outside I wanted to get out of bed and bring some more activity into my lifestyle as far as it's possible in my condition. And faced another problem: couldn't keep my back straight up or bend it down, when trying to pick something up from the floor. Not that it hurts much when I'm trying to straighten it I just can't... Although the pain in my back is constant even when i'm lying down. In addition to it, my legs have become weaker and thinner visually, and I find it hard to squat down and get up from the floor. So I decided to start doing some exercises to strengthen my back&leg muscles... The first workout went surprisingly well, but after the second one a severe pain in my legs woke me up in the middle of the night. It was different from a usual muscle ache. I tried to get up, but couldn't move my legs, they felt weaker than ever, like two noodles. All I could do was just putting my feet on the floor and that was it, no way to get myself up. This way I could only relieve the pain in my legs a little bit, but the back hurts all the same, well, it always does.

So is it the consequence of lordosis or just because i did something wrong during the exercise? At the moment I'm back on my feet again, walk with difficulty, though, but I'm afraid to continue doing those exercises, don't really want to end up in a wheelchair.

Does anyone here have a similar issue, and how do you deal with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 06:09 AM

505 posts, read 263,322 times
Zdrasvuitche. I am a physical therapist and see quite a few patients with back pain. The condition is very difficult to diagnose or treat without an in-person evaluation. From an anatomy perspective, we have a big nerve (the sciatic nerve) that comes out of our lumbar spine and runs down our legs. It diverges into several branches on the way down and they control all the muscles in our legs. Since I don't know what kind of exercises you did and how you performed them, it's hard to say if you caused any injury to yourself. Can you easily see a doctor or physical therapist where you are located? That would be your best bet.

As a general rule: if you have not exercised or worked out in a long time, start really slowly. Muscle soreness is often delayed, and you won't find out that you overdid it until the next day; then you will have to take some time off to recover. This start-and-stop regimen is a lot less efficient than starting very gradually and ramp up the intensity over time, which could be days, weeks or even months, depending on your fitness level.

Do-cvidania. I had 4 years of Russian in college but forgot most of it.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:21 PM

>>Can you easily see a doctor or physical therapist where you are located?

I can, but have to wait until Tuesday. The medicare system is about the same everywhere, you have to schedule your appointments beforehand.

>>As a general rule: if you have not exercised or worked out in a long time, start really slowly. Muscle soreness is often delayed, and you won't find out that you overdid it until the next day; then you will have to take some time off to recover.

I did the first exercise on Saturday, and the second one on Tuesday, and Wednesday night it happened. There was a slight muscle soreness after the Saturday workout but I didn't pay attention to it for i knew it was kind of normal. And I gave it two days before the second one.

>>I had 4 years of Russian in college but forgot most of it.

Some years ago I could only say 'hello' and 'goodbye' in English, and didn't even know how to spell them properly. Actually, I thought people didn't study Russian in the USA... At least in Australia they don't as far as I know.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 PM

505 posts, read 263,322 times
The site below is really good for exercises and other wellness topics. I especially like their "body map" feature:
https://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale
Click on the body part you want to work out and it will suggest numerous exercises you can do.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment on Tuesday. If you don't mind, let me know what s/he thinks is the cause of your back pain. It's just professional interest, on my part.

Learning Russian: now it is relatively easy to do, thanks to the internet and YouTube. I learned it back in the mid-1970s, practically the Stone Age compared to now.

Old Today, 11:39 AM

Been feeling unwell recently, got some other problems... As for the doctors they say it might be osteochondrosis, sent me to do an x-ray in another fortnight.

It's relatively easy to learn languages now, yet I know a lot of Russians who have been learning English for years but they can't actually put two words together, despite all the modern technologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness