U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
5,108 posts, read 6,305,594 times
Reputation: 5943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I've had two meniscus surgeries performed by the same orthopedic surgeon. Six months after my second surgery and he can't figure out why my knee is still bothering me so much. Basically he's given up on me so he referred me to a sports medicine specialist. This doctor is an orthopedic surgeon and a sports medicine specialist. I'm not really sure what he can do that the first orthopedic surgeon couldn't, but I'll give it a try. According to WebMD he's highly rated (4 1/2 stars) and "performs a high number of knee arthroscopies and replacements compared to his peers in the area".
Did you have a meniscectomy or a meniscus repair? A meniscectomy is an arthroscopic procedure that removes the meniscus or trims the damaged meniscus tissue (also called a debridement). Removal of the entire meniscus is called a total meniscectomy. Removal of damaged parts is called a partial meniscectomy. Meniscus repair is a delicate surgery that sutures the tear and anchors the meniscus in place. Recovery from this procedure is longer than in a meniscectomy. Everyone is not a candidate for a repair. It depends on a number of things including the type and location of the tear.

I question why you would have two meniscectomies on the same knee. How far apart where the surgeries. I had a meniscectomy and it did not help my knee at all. It actually may have made it slightly worse. I would only recommend a meniscectomy if there are pieces of the meniscus that are causing the knee to lock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2019, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,145 posts, read 8,035,587 times
Reputation: 15133
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you have a meniscectomy or a meniscus repair? A meniscectomy is an arthroscopic procedure that removes the meniscus or trims the damaged meniscus tissue (also called a debridement). Removal of the entire meniscus is called a total meniscectomy. Removal of damaged parts is called a partial meniscectomy. Meniscus repair is a delicate surgery that sutures the tear and anchors the meniscus in place. Recovery from this procedure is longer than in a meniscectomy. Everyone is not a candidate for a repair. It depends on a number of things including the type and location of the tear.

I question why you would have two meniscectomies on the same knee. How far apart where the surgeries. I had a meniscectomy and it did not help my knee at all. It actually may have made it slightly worse. I would only recommend a meniscectomy if there are pieces of the meniscus that are causing the knee to lock.
Oh I had the debridement done after given a major course for abx drugs for staph infection and I believe the knee is WORSE since that "cleaning out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 PM
 
4,967 posts, read 10,997,043 times
Reputation: 11767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh I had the debridement done after given a major course for abx drugs for staph infection and I believe the knee is WORSE since that "cleaning out".
Not the same thing at all regarding elective meniscectomy or repair....joint infections almost always require washing out and debridement of infected tissue. The joint often is worse after such a procedure but the alternative is a joint completely destroyed by infection and/or sepsis....

Of course avoiding infection in the first place with unnecessary prolotherapy would have been better and was ultimately the CAUSE of your knee being "worse"....the cleaning out was necessary due to the infection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,145 posts, read 8,035,587 times
Reputation: 15133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not the same thing at all regarding elective meniscectomy or repair....joint infections almost always require washing out and debridement of infected tissue. The joint often is worse after such a procedure but the alternative is a joint completely destroyed by infection and/or sepsis....

Of course avoiding infection in the first place with unnecessary prolotherapy would have been better and was ultimately the CAUSE of your knee being "worse"....the cleaning out was necessary due to the infection
Oh please infections happen so much, and I've had many prolo shots and no infection...the last one I had was just plain unlucky in my life. I continue to believe Prolo does good for many. Why someone here has to keep bringing my negative issue up is not necessary.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-04-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 05:24 AM
 
4,967 posts, read 10,997,043 times
Reputation: 11767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh please infections happen so much, and I've had many prolo shots and no infection...the last one I had was just plain unlucky in my life. I continue to believe Prolo does good for many. Why someone here has to keep bringing my negative issue up is not necessary.
Just as unnecessary as you bringing up your infection for the millionth time....what does it have to do with the OP?? Nothing.

I was pointing out that your surgery for infection was necessary and had nothing to do with an elective knee arthroscopy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Northern VA
507 posts, read 624,312 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you have a meniscectomy or a meniscus repair? A meniscectomy is an arthroscopic procedure that removes the meniscus or trims the damaged meniscus tissue (also called a debridement). Removal of the entire meniscus is called a total meniscectomy. Removal of damaged parts is called a partial meniscectomy. Meniscus repair is a delicate surgery that sutures the tear and anchors the meniscus in place. Recovery from this procedure is longer than in a meniscectomy. Everyone is not a candidate for a repair. It depends on a number of things including the type and location of the tear.

I question why you would have two meniscectomies on the same knee. How far apart where the surgeries. I had a meniscectomy and it did not help my knee at all. It actually may have made it slightly worse. I would only recommend a meniscectomy if there are pieces of the meniscus that are causing the knee to lock.
6/29/2017: left knee partial medial and lateral meniscectomy including debridement/shaving of articular cartilage (chondroplasty). MRI prior to the surgery showed: Left knee medial meniscus tear. Left lateral meniscus tear. Horizontal tear through the body and posterior horn of the left medial meniscus contacting the inferior and superior articular surfaces. Tiny parameniscal cyst is seen posterior to the posterior horn. Mucoid degeneration of the ACL.

10/18/2018: left knee partial medial and lateral meniscectomy including debridement/shaving of articular cartilage (chondroplasty) and debridement of frayed ACL fibers. MRI prior to the second surgery showed: Complex nondisplaced tear at the junction of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus. Nondisplaced tear involving the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus near its root attachment. Mild tricompartmental chondromalacia with small focal high-grade chondral defect at the medial patellar facet with small underlying subchondral cyst. Mild to moderate joint effusion. Moderate to severe mucoid degeneration of the ACL fibers which otherwise intact.

After recovery from the first surgery it felt better for about eight months. Then in February/March 2018 it started bothering me again. Eventually another MRI showed additional tears along with general arthritic degeneration.

In hindsight, the second surgery was probably a mistake because its never gotten better since. In fact it continues to get worse. I recently started using a cane and it helps some but it still bothers me especially if I walk a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,145 posts, read 8,035,587 times
Reputation: 15133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Just as unnecessary as you bringing up your infection for the millionth time....what does it have to do with the OP?? Nothing.

I was pointing out that your surgery for infection was necessary and had nothing to do with an elective knee arthroscopy.....
What I choose to discuss here is my business and my choice and no one elses....some don't want to get that. And rather than just ignore, they have to bring up my issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 PM
 
8,130 posts, read 11,851,333 times
Reputation: 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What I choose to discuss here is my business and my choice and no one elses....some don't want to get that. And rather than just ignore, they have to bring up my issues.
They have to bring up your issues??? Bullfeathers!

In each and every thread you involve yourself in, regardless of the subject matter involved, you narcissistically change the focus of the thread from the OP and their questions/concerns/problems/ to a rehashing of your own medical history. Here are some examples just from this one thread alone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm doing everything in my power to keep this 80 yr old knee working and walking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm back to D.O. osteopathic work and it helps all my joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In my history of all this, the "need" for surgery is so overstated and overdone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've seen two sports med MD's for my knee issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
...the D.O. I see for bodywork is saying, maybe my hip didn't need replaced, it could be my back which I have a long history of back issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The hip replacement I went thru made everything worse, back and knee included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'll never know if I really needed a replacement or was it my back that needed more work and support.

I know that this may be difficult for you to understand, BUT THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT YOUR HIP REPLACEMENT!!!

How about just once you permit an OP to discuss his or her own medical issue without you regaling everyone with your medical history. Is that really asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,145 posts, read 8,035,587 times
Reputation: 15133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
They have to bring up your issues??? Bullfeathers!

In each and every thread you involve yourself in, regardless of the subject matter involved, you narcissistically change the focus of the thread from the OP and their questions/concerns/problems/ to a rehashing of your own medical history. Here are some examples just from this one thread alone:


I know that this may be difficult for you to understand, BUT THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT YOUR HIP REPLACEMENT!!!

How about just once you permit an OP to discuss his or her own medical issue without you regaling everyone with your medical history. Is that really asking too much?
Again, what I choose to post is my business and it would be nice to see those who attack my info to post some good info of their own, but it doesn't seem to happen.

And you took the time to post a lot of my info??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM
 
501 posts, read 211,144 times
Reputation: 1485
I don't see the problem with jaminhealth's postings. If a reader feels they do not benefit them or their condition, they can scroll past them. Some of her information is very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top