U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM

5,426 posts, read 6,676,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
As you have been told every time you make this claim, your understanding of what it means to be bone on bone and have no cartilage left is wrong

There is no role for opinion here.....

A person can absolutely be bone on bone and have essentially no remaining cartilage certainty not enough to matter and still bend their knees just fine

Conversely, one can have significant remaining cartilage volume and not be able to bend their knees at all

You keep making this erroneous claim despite the clear lack of any semblance of support for this misguided lack of understanding regarding physiology

In the same vein, you can keep hoping to “regrow “ cartilage....keep on hoping because it ain’t gonna happen

No way. No how

I'm in the second category you describe. Based on MRIs, my cartilage is mostly intact. I have trouble bending my right knee however. The biggest problem it causes me is walking down steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:55 AM

26,130 posts, read 9,541,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
something I found in a home remedy book that really helped me and my arthritis is soak some golden seedless raisins in some gin and wait til the gin evaporates and then eat 9 raisins per day and guess what ? it works at keeping some of the arthritic pain away . that might help your knee .
Oh I've done that off and on over the years and didn't help me. Could help others, who knows.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm in the second category you describe. Based on MRIs, my cartilage is mostly intact. I have trouble bending my right knee however. The biggest problem it causes me is walking down steps.
I have no steps to speak of so I'm good there. Both my knees bend pretty darn good for "no cartilage" which I don't buy, there is cartilage there and a surgery will take it all out.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM

10,367 posts, read 6,826,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have no steps to speak of so I'm good there. Both my knees bend pretty darn good for "no cartilage" which I don't buy, there is cartilage there and a surgery will take it all out.

I'm sure that if your Dr took x-rays or scan and said "no cartilage" there is no cartilage, no matter what you think about modern medicine!

Old 06-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm sure that if your Dr took x-rays or scan and said "no cartilage" there is no cartilage, no matter what you think about modern medicine!
Of course, I've had knee xrays and pretty damaged and since on Cosamin DS daily for the last year I have more cushioning, to me that works in my life. I exercise the knees daily, 2-3 times daily. I saw the xray pictures and don't recall if he said no cartilage, but he saw how I could bend my knee(s). I saw the last ortho MD in March 2018 and when I was leaving he said maybe I'll see you in 6 months...well it's over 12 months since I saw him.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:32 PM

5,426 posts, read 6,676,099 times
Quote:

If the doctor ordered x-rays, they do not show cartilage. An X-ray simply visualizes bony structures and abnormalities. A doctor would typically order an MRI to help diagnose torn knee ligaments and cartilage.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:17 PM

10,367 posts, read 6,826,163 times
Quote:
If the doctor ordered x-rays, they do not show cartilage. An X-ray simply visualizes bony structures and abnormalities. A doctor would typically order an MRI to help diagnose torn knee ligaments and cartilage.

I said "x-rays or scan"

Old 06-09-2019, 04:39 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,827,450 times
Quote:
I said "x-rays or scan"
Yes, you sure did. Always helps to actually read what someone has to say prior to responding.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,567,047 times
lol, op I'm sure by now you're wondering how you landed in this zoo.

So I'll give you some things that have help me. I've had one extremely successful replacement and I'm working on saving hte other knee. unfortunately I have severe osteoarthritis. it ain't going to get better.

1) confidence in one's doctor is important. lol, I went through I think about 5 until I got the wonderful surgeon and his team I go to now. I live in Philly and the hospital I use are experts in sports medicine as well they should be as they service the Eagle and Phillies.

2) Work at your own speed. I've never had a surgeon who even remotely talked about replacement until I had exhausted all other options. It took a full 2 years for me to have my left knee replaced. 2 years!!! So contrary to a lot of opinions there are wonderful doctors that will take try many other things. go at your comfort level.

3) As of today, there is absolutely no scientific proof that new cartilage regrows itself. I did find a study where a doctor took some cartilage from another part of the body, ground it up and then applied it to the effected knee like a paste. they are many studies trying ways to do so but they are just studies.

4) Stem cell replacement. Let me just that it's very unregulated, If you have to go to a "clinic" or if the "clinic" has informercial seminars like time share companies. run. You will waste your money, no matter how many testimonials they parade out.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM

5,207 posts, read 11,382,015 times
Quote:
MRI not needed to diagnose arthritis of the knee. If the femur and tibia are touching along with other X-ray signs of arthritis then the knee is bone on bone. Essentially no cartilage remaining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness