U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM

1,172 posts, read 746,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
Guess I've touched a lot of handles like that then. For years.
Here I am. Alive and well. Just like always.
it's amazing we've survived
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 AM

2,303 posts, read 1,043,862 times
Oh I am sure, but I don't worry about it. I wash my hands and I don't touch my face/mouth. I stay pretty healthy

Old 06-05-2019, 06:45 AM

10,166 posts, read 4,753,625 times
For people with compromised immune systems keeping germs at bay IS very important. I wipe my phone with a little alcohol a few times a week, more if my granddaughter has been using it. I do the same with the remote controls.

As far as shopping carts goes if someone with a cold, the flu or a virus has sneezed or coughed without washing their hands and then touched the shopping card and the next person doesn't clean it, they most definitely can catch whatever when they touch the handle and then their face. Most of us don't realize how often we touch our faces. I'd rather take the extra few seconds it takes not to catch someone else's illness.

How many of us come down with a cold or sore throat and can't remember being in contact with anybody who was sick?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:04 AM

6,015 posts, read 2,768,209 times
My pen is riddled with germs. I don't wipe it down at all.
I do touch my face and on occasion let my hands cross contaminate my phone with my wallet. Oh the horror!

Yes on some occasions I wipe my phone. Usually if the screen is smudged or the casing is dirty from dropping it.

I'm not obsessed with being prestine.

I get colds because my body is susceptible to it. No one is 100% germ free .
Purell all you want.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:41 AM

12,097 posts, read 10,208,000 times
Death by cell phone germs, newest danger of the 2020s.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 AM

790 posts, read 1,418,312 times
My beard is apparently dirtier than a toilet seat as well and I'm still alive. I don't even rub it down with alcohol.

https://abc7.com/health/mens-beards-...t-seat/691110/

Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 AM

2,280 posts, read 867,302 times
Well, I'm still alive. So can't be all that bad for you.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM

35,012 posts, read 10,325,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't either, but I've seen enough people sneeze in their hands and then put those nasty hands right back on the grocery cart handle to make me wonder why I don't wipe a cart down before I use it. Not to mention, people pick their noses, pick at scabs, and do ahem other things too, then grab a grocery cart without washing their hands first.

I'm sure cell phones have every possible body fluid on them, and grocery carts too.

LOL with kids and their diarrhea diapers and E.coli hands--along with leaky packaged meat-- parked in them, that's no surprise. And it's probably why, among many other items, women's purses and reusable shopping bags also harbor more bacteria than that toilet.

Yes, supermarkets are loaded with germs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ins...-study-2017-11

Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 AM

10,225 posts, read 9,303,702 times
We could drive ourselves nuts trying to wipe out all of the germs . . Don't we build up some immunity by being exposed to germs (within reason of course).

How many times when we're ill with cold, flu, etc., do we reuse our toothbrush without sanitizing it? Our mouths are full of bacteria, more so when we're sick.

When we use the toilet we want to quickly wash our hands to avoid e coli, but first we pull up our drawers and whatever is on our hands/fingers is now transferred to our clothing. Then we wash our hands and at some point end up touching our clothes again and there ya go.

When handling raw meats we wash our hands before touching anything else. But think of this: we touch the faucet handle, wash our hands and then re-touch the faucet handle that is full of the germs. When our hands are full of soap, we should clean the faucet handle as well.

Keyboard, computer mouse, door handles, remote controls, light switches, refrigerator handles, car keys, etc., etc., etc. We are constantly in touch with germs.

Yes, people in grocery stores can transfer germs . . not just on shopping cart handles, on anything they touched or sneezed on: can goods, produce, any and all packages.

And, we DO touch our faces, even though we aren't even aware of it. Being a woman, how many times do we cover our mouth with our hand when laughing, eating, or being surprised by something?

Old 06-05-2019, 09:39 AM

20,840 posts, read 11,557,591 times
I freely admit I'm a little bit of a germophobe. I always use the wipes for the grocery carts, and I clean my phone every day, although that's more for the fingerprints than the germs, but the benefit is that it takes care of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or