Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
We could drive ourselves nuts trying to wipe out all of the germs . . Don't we build up some immunity by being exposed to germs (within reason of course).

How many times when we're ill with cold, flu, etc., do we reuse our toothbrush without sanitizing it? Our mouths are full of bacteria, more so when we're sick.

When we use the toilet we want to quickly wash our hands to avoid e coli, but first we pull up our drawers and whatever is on our hands/fingers is now transferred to our clothing. Then we wash our hands and at some point end up touching our clothes again and there ya go.

When handling raw meats we wash our hands before touching anything else. But think of this: we touch the faucet handle, wash our hands and then re-touch the faucet handle that is full of the germs. When our hands are full of soap, we should clean the faucet handle as well.

Keyboard, computer mouse, door handles, remote controls, light switches, refrigerator handles, car keys, etc., etc., etc. We are constantly in touch with germs.

Yes, people in grocery stores can transfer germs . . not just on shopping cart handles, on anything they touched or sneezed on: can goods, produce, any and all packages.

And, we DO touch our faces, even though we aren't even aware of it. Being a woman, how many times do we cover our mouth with our hand when laughing, eating, or being surprised by something?
I realize you are saying that we can't avoid germs, which are everywhere--and I completely agree; in fact I never even think about most of these things--but I just wanted to address the toothbrush issue. It's unnecessary to sanitize or dispose of a toothbrush after having a cold or flu, because you are now immune to the virus that caused that illness. You can't catch it twice. I suppose if you had a verified bacterial infection, you might want to throw out the toothbrush, but otherwise it's pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't either, but I've seen enough people sneeze in their hands and then put those nasty hands right back on the grocery cart handle to make me wonder why I don't wipe a cart down before I use it. Not to mention, people pick their noses, pick at scabs, and do ahem other things too, then grab a grocery cart without washing their hands first.

I'm sure cell phones have every possible body fluid on them, and grocery carts too.
This is all true, but many people dont realize those germs cannot survive out of a specific temp for very long...they like it hot, 98.6 degrees (the human body temp), to go from a human mouth or nose to the handle on a grocery cart, there is close to a 30 degree temp difference!

Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I realize you are saying that we can't avoid germs, which are everywhere--and I completely agree; in fact I never even think about most of these things--but I just wanted to address the toothbrush issue. It's unnecessary to sanitize or dispose of a toothbrush after having a cold or flu, because you are now immune to the virus that caused that illness. You can't catch it twice. I suppose if you had a verified bacterial infection, you might want to throw out the toothbrush, but otherwise it's pointless.
Most people don't change their toothbrush often enough anyway, in terms of doing a good job at the primary function of brushing their teeth. If people use having a cold as a motivation to get a new toothbrush, that's a good thing!

Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I have to doubt. I use the sanitizer at the gym to clean my phone while I am there. I like what they use, it smells like cloves.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 PM

223 posts, read 144,343 times
There is nothing dirtier than money, especially coins.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Where are these places that have disinfectants around for wiping shopping carts? I may have seen that once or twice...in my entire life but it's been so long I can't remember where. Is it a geographic thing? Do people really believe that wiping a shopping cart handle will provide some kind of safeguard? Does the cart get rewiped every time a can of soup gets picked from a shelf; you can't expect that can to be clean, can you?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where are these places that have disinfectants around for wiping shopping carts? I may have seen that once or twice...in my entire life but it's been so long I can't remember where. Is it a geographic thing? Do people really believe that wiping a shopping cart handle will provide some kind of safeguard? Does the cart get rewiped every time a can of soup gets picked from a shelf; you can't expect that can to be clean, can you?
Every Target and most grocery stores have them where I live. It isn't getting rid of all germs but it helps.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I absolutely believe this. I just went down the hall to the restroom and a person was sitting in the stall on the can playing games on their phone and some you tube channel. The bathroom stalls are like phone booths. People doing business calls, personal calls, one woman shouting/arguing with her husband/boyfriend all the while the toilets are flushing all around them and they flush the toilets themselves and exit the stall, phone in hand to their ear.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's good information! Didn't realize that, thanks for letting us know!

Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I'm in Denver. All of the supermarkets (including Target) have a container of disinfecting wipes in a stand by the front door so you can wipe off the handle of the cart you are using. I'm not saying it's fit for surgery but it's still better than nothing, given that many people cough or sneeze into their hands and then wheel their cart around, or touch other nasty things and do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness