U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 750,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

BP meds are diruetics that flush fluids from your body.
this is incorrect. diuretics, which can be used for HTN, are diuretics. other meds for HTN have different mechanisms and classifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 11:31 AM

1,700 posts, read 816,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
this is incorrect. diuretics, which can be used for HTN, are diuretics. other meds for HTN have different mechanisms and classifications.

True, not all are, and others can cause constipation too. The OP has tried several meds and experienced chronic constipation with all.

Her chronic constipation is threatening her livelihood. It's time to do something different. Her medical professionals are encouraging her to continue with the prescription drug Linzess even though it doesn't work for her by telling her horror stories about over-the-counter Miralax. Miralax is safe to use while she works on dietary solutions, and even if she has to take it occasionally after that.

What you can do when a medication causes constipation:
Adding more fiber to your diet such as beans or leafy greens can ease constipation. So can using a fiber supplement with psyllium seed or methylcellulose. Long-term treatment options include over-the-counter remedies, such as polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax), and prescription medications, such as such as linaclotide (Linzess). https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ou-constipated

I would add to that, avoid or limit foods that tend to cause constipation.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:57 PM

1,176 posts, read 750,952 times
Quote:
True, not all are, and others can cause constipation too. The OP has tried several meds and experienced chronic constipation with all.

Her chronic constipation is threatening her livelihood. It's time to do something different. Her medical professionals are encouraging her to continue with the prescription drug Linzess even though it doesn't work for her by telling her horror stories about over-the-counter Miralax. Miralax is safe to use while she works on dietary solutions, and even if she has to take it occasionally after that.

Adding more fiber to your diet such as beans or leafy greens can ease constipation. So can using a fiber supplement with psyllium seed or methylcellulose. Long-term treatment options include over-the-counter remedies, such as polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax), and prescription medications, such as such as linaclotide (Linzess). https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ou-constipated

i was addressing your statement about HTN meds being "diuretics", nothing more.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:34 PM

29 posts, read 5,550 times
Quote:
Anything you take for constipation is a temporary solution. Anything will make your body depend on it if you use it long term instead of changing your diet.

You said that Linzess doesn't work unless you stop taking your blood pressure med for days. Is that a good idea? Why keep taking Linzess when it's not working as intended? Are you going to take it for the rest of your life? Sounds like you are dependent on it and also taking risks by stopping your BP meds for days.

BP meds are diruetics that flush fluids from your body. That is why your stools are hard and making you constipated. You'll have to either compensate with diet and make necessary changes, or take something like Miralax occasionally. You could use an enema but you don't want to become dependent on that either.

I haven't taken high blood pressure medications for years. I lost my last job due to playing games with many medications. All of them except 1 made constipation even worse and that's lisinopril. That made my potassium high that I had to stop taking it since it's dangerous for someone who had kidney disease. Even supplements made my constipation worse. The ONLY way I will try any new medications or supplements for high blood pressure is the next time I won't be working. That's the ONLY way. I am already eating only vegan and getting plenty of fiber. Enema makes constipation worse and my GI doctor said this plus Miralax is a laxative and Linzess isn't. Laxatives are known to make constipation worse when you don't take it. I only take Linzess during the weekend and that's 2 or 3 times a week. It helps but the problem is pelvic floor dyssynergia and I have chronic constipation due to that. I had this condition for 9 years now. I been taking this medication for like 8 years. The question is what high blood pressure medication DO NOT have any chances of causing constipation? And what the hell do they put in these medications that end up causing constipation?

Old 06-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Adding more fiber to your diet — such as beans or leafy greens — can ease constipation. So can using a fiber supplement with psyllium seed or methylcellulose. Long-term treatment options include over-the-counter remedies, such as polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax), and prescription medications, such as such as linaclotide (Linzess). https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ou-constipated

Linzess 290 mcg does work. But it's not a permanent solution and it wastes a lot of time. In 5 hours I do have to go anymore and already went and ready to eat my next meal. Still with linzess I still have to push hard at the end except I am able to go more with it. Nobody in their right mind will take Miralax when GI doctors and biofeedback pelvic floor therapists are telling me NOT to take it since it can make constipation worse and I know someone this happened to so I know for a fact it's not a lie. Laxatives can make constipation even worse and permanently and it means you have to increase the dosage. I am in a facebook group for my condition and people there are saying Miralax worked for them but after some time it didn't and their constipation got even worse so they had to increase dosage and then that only lasted a short time and now they can't go at all with Miralax. Linzess has always worked the same for me even after years. I already added more fiber and as long as I am taking high blood pressure medications there is NOTHING that will make me go. I have to push so hard that I can feel my heart beating fast, I see black then stars, my head feels like it's going to explode and it even caused head shaking from pushing so hard. You think you know it all. I been to 2 GI doctors, 1 colon and rectal surgeon, and the only 2 biofeedback physical therapists who specialize in treating pelvic floor disorders. One of them has 20 years of experience. Miralax is for people who don't know. Adding fiber I already do and did in the past. All it did was cause more gas and caused me to push harder. This condition makes my kidney disease worse by preventing me from treating high blood pressure since the medications make my already chronic constipation even worse and by me having to push hard it increases my blood pressure and that itself is doing damage to the kidneys. I push hard not because I want to but because I have to. I already use squatty potty and still have to push hard. I remember when I didn't push at all and for 1 week and a half I didn't go to the bathroom at all other than peeing and during that time I was eating even more fiber and what was the result of your advice of eating even more fiber even though I get plenty? More gas. Not smart. And I drink the recommended amount of water my doctors told me to drink- 100 oz a day. I don't drink enough then linzess doesn't work and chronic constipation is even worse.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:17 PM

9,270 posts, read 6,193,998 times
Any person can react to any med in any way.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:44 AM

If it were me, I would tell my many doctors, physical therapists and facebook group that haven't solved my problem after 9 years, to get me into a multidisciplinary program like the Mayo Clinic is doing.

Excerpt:

Treating patients with pelvic floor dysfunction

To help patients restore normal bowel function, Mayo Clinic staff use a multidisciplinary approach that can include:

• Constipation education classes led by a dietitian and a nurse educator
  • Intensive pelvic floor retraining exercises
  • Biofeedback training
  • Behavior modification
The regimen, useful for many types of constipation, is fine-tuned for PFD. Some patients do not need fiber, others may need to supplement with laxatives. The program can change over time as patients make advancements.

Although many centers are familiar with retraining techniques to improve pelvic floor dysfunction, few have the multidisciplinary expertise to teach patients ...

Because PFD can be associated with psychological, sexual or physical abuse and other life stressors, psychological counseling is often included in the evaluation process.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...n/mac-20431390

Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 AM

2,321 posts, read 882,991 times
I'd make every attempt at NOT taking a BP med and try to lower it naturally.
Drink lots of water to help loosen you up. Prunes are good as previously mentioned. green leafy salads. The greener the better, not that iceberg lettuce junk.
Am 48, soon to be 49 in a few weeks. Long family history of extremely high BP and heart disease. Am healthy as an ox. Take zero pills for anything, not even daily vitamins. It can be done. Just gotta watch what you ingest and control your daily stress. Even after retiring from a 25 year LE career, which was allegedly highly stressful, I've maintained a healthy daily habit with no ill effects. in 5 or 10 years could it all change? Possibly. Could happen next week or month for all I now.
Not knocking anyone, just trying to help is all. Ive been warned my entire life by doctors that it was inevitable as EVERYONE on both sides of my family was in sure poor health, and here I am. Proving them all wrong.
Good luck

Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
If it were me, I would tell my many doctors, physical therapists and facebook group that haven't solved my problem after 9 years, to get me into a multidisciplinary program like the Mayo Clinic is doing.

Excerpt:

Treating patients with pelvic floor dysfunction

To help patients restore normal bowel function, Mayo Clinic staff use a multidisciplinary approach that can include:

• Constipation education classes led by a dietitian and a nurse educator
  • Intensive pelvic floor retraining exercises
  • Biofeedback training
  • Behavior modification
The regimen, useful for many types of constipation, is fine-tuned for PFD. Some patients do not need fiber, others may need to supplement with laxatives. The program can change over time as patients make advancements.

Although many centers are familiar with retraining techniques to improve pelvic floor dysfunction, few have the multidisciplinary expertise to teach patients ...

Because PFD can be associated with psychological, sexual or physical abuse and other life stressors, psychological counseling is often included in the evaluation process.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...n/mac-20431390

biofeedback did that, behavior modification did that, pelvic floor exercises did that, constipation education did that on my own and also doctor gave advice and so did physical therapist, nothing new you mentioned.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
biofeedback did that, behavior modification did that, pelvic floor exercises did that, constipation education did that on my own and also doctor gave advice and so did physical therapist, nothing new you mentioned.
Psychotherapy and formal education with a personal nurse educator and dietitian are your missing links, according to Mayo Clinic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness