Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:29 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

If one knows what foods cause this, wake up, stop the foods.

Antioxidants are a salvation in my life. Alt Med area is full of my info.

I pretty much avoid gluten foods now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 01:41 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive tried the Blue Mucienx, it didnt work that great, and I woke up with a headache the times I took it.

I know there is like 5 billion different types of allergy, sinus, mucus medicine, but Id like to focus on just those that treat the build up and/or prevention of phlegm from forming.

Whats happening, SO MUCH phlegm builds up on my lungs, it interferes with my ability to breath, doesnt really get better until later in the day, after I can cough up and spit out a good deal of the phlegm.
Believe it or not, I find the Walmart brands as good as the name brand... I use equate brand Imodium, Equate brand Tagament, and equate brand sleeping gels..... Plus it's frigging 1/2 the cost of name brand or less.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Believe it or not, I find the Walmart brands as good as the name brand... I use equate brand Imodium, Equate brand Tagament, and equate brand sleeping gels..... Plus it's frigging 1/2 the cost of name brand or less.
Most store brands are made by the major manufacturer. It's exactly the same thing.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:35 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive tried the Blue Mucienx, it didnt work that great, and I woke up with a headache the times I took it.

I know there is like 5 billion different types of allergy, sinus, mucus medicine, but Id like to focus on just those that treat the build up and/or prevention of phlegm from forming.

Whats happening, SO MUCH phlegm builds up on my lungs, it interferes with my ability to breath, doesnt really get better until later in the day, after I can cough up and spit out a good deal of the phlegm.
See a doctor. You need help you won’t get from an OTC substance. Pneumonia isn’t the only respiratory infection you could be at risk for.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
OP you need to figure out whether and why you actually have chest congestion. That is very dangerous. Go see a doctor ASAP. If it is simply an issue like postnasal drip from blocked sinuses, your doctor can probably recommend an OTC nasal inhaler, but if think it is coming from the lungs, that is not going to help you. Sometimes it is really hard to tell though. I have had times where I have been coughing severely or have had a cough for a really long time and it was still related to the sinuses. On the other hand, I had one pneumonia infection when I was a tween and did not even realize I had it... it did not feel significantly different from other infections I’ve had previously. The point is, you can’t really tell.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You need an expectorant...and maybe need to drink more water to thin it out. What does your doctor say?
How would drinking water thin it out,when its in my lungs?

Old 06-08-2019, 04:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
If you are having breathing problems, than the time for OTCs has passed. If you think it is actually post nasal drip, you can try and anti-histamine. However, with the severity you are reporting, you need to see a physician. Mucinex is an expectorant.
It is sinus, allergy related, Im getting over a bad head cold, that Ive had for the past 10+ days, Breathing is difficult sometimes because there is so much phlegm built up in or around lungs, its really annoying.

I do take a Breo inhaler and albuterol for rescue puffs, and they do work, but when there is alot of phlegm in my lungs, its tough to get the inhaler medicine to where it needs to go, ( it ends up just being trapped in the phlegm and doesnt even reach the lungs). Its frustrating.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:41 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
Vicks Formula 44 E, from "back in the day" was excellent then. It was, and is, hard to find, if you can find it at all now. I haven't needed it so haven't looked for it. (E for expectorant, obviously).

Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Mucinex.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 PM

264 posts, read 200,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
See a doctor !

It could also be acid reflux, or something else entirely.

You need a proper diagnosis by a physician.

Yeah....good luck with that. Been on my primary care doc, and my VA doc, an allergist, and an ENT guy for years....best diagnosis is "non-specific allergies"......which is med-speak for "heck if we know".

What does work for me is:

Taking the shower head off and soaking it in bleach water for couple hours. I noticed mine nose/wheezing was especially bad after a hot shower...then I read how much fungus/bacteria can build up in a shower head. Like chicken soup....may not help, but can't hurt

Then I take Sudafed PE OTC....couple a day.

And last (got this from the allergist)...I rinse my nasal passages out with a salt water rinse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness