U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 AM

4,885 posts, read 2,247,293 times

Advertisements

Sounds like what happened to my twin daughters friend after second dose of HPV vaccine.

They had to put her on a 504 in order for her to miss so much school & still graduate. Her insomnia was worse than the daytime narcolepsy, though; with debilitating migraines well.

* I wonít be debating anything here; the OP asked for similar experiences & the symptoms reported sounded very familiar; thatís all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 06:40 AM

1,144 posts, read 3,026,904 times
Somebody suggesting "thyroid" problems may be on to something, possibly. However, I'd go to a good endocrinologist and have the whole system checked out - thyroid/pituitary, adrenal, etc. My wife slowly developed similar symptoms in her 50s. About 3 years of misdiagnosis and then she had a really severe episode of awake/asleep combative zombiism (sort of like your grouchy in the morning self but to an extreme in the middle of the night). We took her in and they tried to send her home thinking she just had to much to drink or drugs (it was a Saturday Night) but I insisted on her getting an MRI, thinking she was having a mild stroke. Turned out they imaged a golf-ball-sized benign tumor at the base of her brain up against her pituitary gland and wrapped around her optic nerves. Not cancer but very threatening. The pituitary is the master gland so when it gets knocked out the adrenal and thyroid glands don't get the signal to produce their substances and the result is lethargy, mental fogginess, irrationality, lack of energy and drive, etc. The doctors were amazed she still had vision before surgery and , thanks be to God, the surgeon was able to remove it without cursing the optic nerve. However, she will be on thyroid, and adrenaline substitute pharmaceuticals for the rest of her life unless the pituitary gland comes back to life. With those chemical replacements her energy and alertness is pretty much back to normal. She also had horrible joint pain that went away with the adrenal replacement (the adrenal glands send off a natural anti-inflammatant that helps with late middle-age peoples worn joints - she was a HS and college varsity basketball player).

Old 06-09-2019, 07:41 AM

10,617 posts, read 21,280,285 times
Have you been tested for mono? I had mono in my early 50's, it still kicks my butt years later. I'll be exhausted during the day but at night I can't sleep. I'm currently on Lunesta for the last 10+ years. It's the only thing that helps me sleep

Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 AM

23,291 posts, read 8,080,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have you been tested for mono? I had mono in my early 50's, it still kicks my butt years later. I'll be exhausted during the day but at night I can't sleep. I'm currently on Lunesta for the last 10+ years. It's the only thing that helps me sleep
Sounds like a friend who has been dealing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (extreme malaise) for decades.,

Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 AM

18 posts, read 3,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Sounds like what happened to my twin daughters friend after second dose of HPV vaccine.

They had to put her on a 504 in order for her to miss so much school & still graduate. Her insomnia was worse than the daytime narcolepsy, though; with debilitating migraines well.

* I wonít be debating anything here; the OP asked for similar experiences & the symptoms reported sounded very familiar; thatís all.

Crazy you say that! Narcolepsy has actually been linked to one of the ingredients used in a flu vaccine in Europe a while back (thankfully, we didnít use the same in the US).

Also, my mother, against my grandmotherís wishes (she works in the medical field), opted for me to receive the HPV vaccine while I was still a minor. My grandmother wanted to wait for more information to come out, since the vaccine was fairly new at the time. Thanks for sharing!

Iím definitely not against vaccines, but this is an interesting topic!

Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Somebody suggesting "thyroid" problems may be on to something, possibly. However, I'd go to a good endocrinologist and have the whole system checked out - thyroid/pituitary, adrenal, etc. My wife slowly developed similar symptoms in her 50s. About 3 years of misdiagnosis and then she had a really severe episode of awake/asleep combative zombiism (sort of like your grouchy in the morning self but to an extreme in the middle of the night). We took her in and they tried to send her home thinking she just had to much to drink or drugs (it was a Saturday Night) but I insisted on her getting an MRI, thinking she was having a mild stroke. Turned out they imaged a golf-ball-sized benign tumor at the base of her brain up against her pituitary gland and wrapped around her optic nerves. Not cancer but very threatening. The pituitary is the master gland so when it gets knocked out the adrenal and thyroid glands don't get the signal to produce their substances and the result is lethargy, mental fogginess, irrationality, lack of energy and drive, etc. The doctors were amazed she still had vision before surgery and , thanks be to God, the surgeon was able to remove it without cursing the optic nerve. However, she will be on thyroid, and adrenaline substitute pharmaceuticals for the rest of her life unless the pituitary gland comes back to life. With those chemical replacements her energy and alertness is pretty much back to normal. She also had horrible joint pain that went away with the adrenal replacement (the adrenal glands send off a natural anti-inflammatant that helps with late middle-age peoples worn joints - she was a HS and college varsity basketball player).

So sorry to hear about your wife, but Iím glad she is doing better! I truly hope itís nothing that serious, especially since I was born with optic nerve hypoplasia and have no vision in my right eye...I donít know a doctor that would touch such a case in regards to surgery!

Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,023,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchemist View Post
Not to add even more complications, but I just thought of this....the house I’ve been renting for years now has some mold/mildew issues.I constantly have to scrub the walls and if I leave the dehumidifier off for a few hours there’s an overwhelming musty smell. I wonder if this could be the cause for all my evasive symptoms?
A few years ago I spent an afternoon (2-3 hours) in a house we were considering buying. It had a strong musty smell.
Shortly after we left, I became extremely fatigued - which is highly unusual for me. My energy was just zapped and I had brain fog. Thought I was coming down with some viral infection but didn't have any fever, and the next day I was just fine.

The inspection report we later rec'd said there was strong mold contamination. I'm convinced that is what caused my symptoms. My husband didn't develop any noticeable symptoms but when we reflected back on it, we realized he had spent most of the time there outside while I remained inside.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have not. Would I not have had symptoms of an infection in this case, though? I do not have a regular fever and can think of no instance when I was sick that I wasnít diagnosed with strep/the flu/etc..

Old 06-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
A few years ago I spent an afternoon (2-3 hours) in a house we were considering buying. It had a strong musty smell.
Shortly after we left, I became extremely fatigued - which is highly unusual for me. My energy was just zapped and I had brain fog. Thought I was coming down with some viral infection but didn't have any fever, and the next day I was just fine.

The inspection report we later rec'd said there was strong mold contamination. I'm convinced that is what caused my symptoms. My husband didn't develop any noticeable symptoms but when we reflected back on it, we realized he had spent most of the time there outside while I remained inside.
Yeah, I know thereís mold here that my landlord refuses to acknowledge (heís the ďband-aidĒ type), and on top of that Iím allergic to mold. It might not be the root cause of all of this, but it certainly canít be helping.

I donít remember the specifics, but I know Iíve always been pretty sensitive in regards to my allergies...I remember having to sit (so bored!!) as a child and use this breathing machine every night that had my medicine in it....I think it was albuterol or something of the like.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:35 AM

23,291 posts, read 8,080,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchemist View Post
Yeah, I know thereís mold here that my landlord refuses to acknowledge (heís the ďband-aidĒ type), and on top of that Iím allergic to mold. It might not be the root cause of all of this, but it certainly canít be helping.

I donít remember the specifics, but I know Iíve always been pretty sensitive in regards to my allergies...I remember having to sit (so bored!!) as a child and use this breathing machine every night that had my medicine in it....I think it was albuterol or something of the like.
I had mold in my apt yrs ago, live close to the ocean and it's damp here, and got the Health Dept involved.

Used bleach on some areas and never had a problem again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or