U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:57 PM

432 posts, read 280,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
It is interesting to consider what actually caused the gallbladder to become full with stones in the first place. Now the medical men decide to remove the gallbladder, what does the body use instead as a storage and concentrator for bile (which is what I seem to remember its use is).

Some literature I have read appear to believe that the liver is also implicated, in as far as some think there will be gallstones in the liver tubes as well now that there is no gallbladder. Whether this is true or not, I dont know, but it makes a certain amount of sense to me that bile made in the liver will create gallstones - if gallstones are going to be created - in the liver too.

So I wonder if we are just creating more problems for ourselves down the road by having our gallbladder removed? What foods do we need to avoid to avoid the buildup of gallstones in new places? In Chinese medicine, I believe they suggest avoiding eggs, and bananas among other things if one has gallbladder problems.
I think itís rare for stones to recur subsequent to gallbladder removal. Anecdotally, mine was removed in 1997, and iív Had no issues since. My diet really hasnít changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,296,402 times
So...what caused the first condition which necessitated us having to have our gallbladder removed?

The point I am making is that. in life, if we do not change what we do, we will receive the same outcome as we have always got.

If cause ===> effect, then chage-in-cause will effect change-in-effect.

Just because our gallbladder is not in our body any longer does not mean the gallstones will not form as a result of our un-changed eating habits. See what I am getting at? The gallstones have to go somewhere so, where do they go if they are still being formed or the same process which formed them is still going on?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:40 PM

24,947 posts, read 8,788,940 times
Quote:
So...what caused the first condition which necessitated us having to have our gallbladder removed?

The point I am making is that. in life, if we do not change what we do, we will receive the same outcome as we have always got.

Just because our gallbladder is not in our body any longer does not mean the gallstones will not form as a result of our un-changed eating habits. See what I am getting at? The gallstones have to go somewhere so, where do they go if they are still being formed or the same process which formed them is still going on?
Getting to the root, seems to be ignored.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 PM

4,797 posts, read 3,802,069 times
The OP's original statement was:

Quote:
I have been on and off with Gallblader Pain. Was in Hospital yesteday and an Ultrasound showed a Gallbladder filled up with Sludge n Stones. They wanted to keep me there but all I wanted is go home. So tomorrow I will be getting appointment for OP. I am so scared to death;( can anyone share experiences please cause all I do is crying. My mother had died from a simple Gallbladder OP cause they did a mistake.........
The thread wasn't intended to be a discussion about how to avoid gallstones - it was a plea for support from someone who was scared because she already had a gallbladder full of stones and needed surgery. Those who want to discuss root causes of gallbladder disease and how to avoid it might consider starting another thread rather than hijacking this one.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:22 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,296,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily
The thread wasn't intended to be a discussion about how to avoid gallstones - it was a plea for support from someone who was scared because she already had a gallbladder full of stones and needed surgery. Those who want to discuss root causes of gallbladder disease and how to avoid it might consider starting another thread rather than hijacking this one.
What are you - moderator now? Isn't it for the OP or a proper mod to say when the thread is going off-topic?

Regardless of this, I want to point out that some things need a change in lifestyle and without that change, things will not get better in the longterm. Just because we have surgery does not make everything OK again.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 AM

4,797 posts, read 3,802,069 times
Quote:
What are you - moderator now? Isn't it for the OP or a proper mod to say when the thread is going off-topic?
Please read the TOS and tell me where it says participants in a thread are not allowed to point out when they think a thread has gone off topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Regardless of this, I want to point out that some things need a change in lifestyle and without that change, things will not get better in the longterm. Just because we have surgery does not make everything OK again.
Fair enough. You could have pointed this out without insulting me (which by the way *is* a violation of the TOS).

Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 AM

9,949 posts, read 7,215,489 times
Quote:

As I understand it, the function of the gallbladder is to store and concentrate the bile produced by the liver, and to release it into the small intestine (in response to the hormone cholestokinin and digestive enzymes produced bg the pancreas) when it's needed after a meal. Gall stones are produced in the gallbladder, they say due to high concentrations of cholesterol or bilirubin, other substances in the bile, so probably are related to stasis that may occur in the gallbladder. They don't go away, but may not cause any problems unless they are blocking a cystic or common bile duct, or are so large they interfere with the function of the gallbladder.

I don't think that gallstones form in the liver as the bile isn't stored there, but sometimes gallbladder surgery (which removes the stones and other contents of the gallbladder) misses a stone which has escaped the gallbladder and lodged in one of the ducts, and may cause serious complications for the patient. Which is why other testing that looks for these stones is done when the patient already shows signs of these complications (such as jaundice, pancreatitis, sepsis) before, or soon after the gallbladder surgery.

As for what normally happens with the bile after gallbladder surgery, there's no longer anywhere to store the bile produced by the liver, so it goes directly into the small intestine as it's produced, some people have digestive issues with that, others don't, but aa you mention there are diet adjustments to make those problems better.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5...adder-removal/

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/gall...article_em.htm

https://www.healthline.com/human-bod.../gallbladder#1

Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM

251 posts, read 412,520 times
Hello Folks; I am wondering if OP came back to let us know anything. I did not read the entire thread, I am too sick. I was in the ER last night with pain, nausea, chills, and diarreah. I was given Morphine and told I have gallstones, and will need surgery. I was given a referral to a surgeon. I admit, I never had any kind of surgery in my entire life and feel like the OP probably felt. My Mom also had stones and her GB was removed. I would very much like to ask the OP or anyone here who suffered if they had bad diarreah to the point where they messed themselves a lot and could not go anywhere or do anything. It also hurts in my lower stomach when I try to eat anything. It almost seems like I also have food poisoning and ate something bad. Can gallstones mimic food poisoning? I once had Salmonella poisoning, and I am wondering if I have two different diseases going on. No appetite at all. At least I keep hydrating. I am calling the surgeon tomorrow as well as my General Practioner. Thanks.

Last edited by glenninindy; 09-08-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

69 posts, read 18,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Hello Folks; I am wondering if OP came back to let us know anything. I did not read the entire thread, I am too sick. I was in the ER last night with pain, nausea, chills, and diarreah. I was given Morphine and told I have gallstones, and will need surgery. I was given a referral to a surgeon. I admit, I never had any kind of surgery in my entire life and feel like the OP probably felt. My Mom also had stones and her GB was removed. I would very much like to ask the OP or anyone here who suffered if they had bad diarreah to the point where they messed themselves a lot and could not go anywhere or do anything. It also hurts in my lower stomach when I try to eat anything. It almost seems like I also have food poisoning and ate something bad. Can gallstones mimic food poisoning? I once had Salmonella poisoning, and I am wondering if I have two different diseases going on. No appetite at all. At least I keep hydrating. I am calling the surgeon tomorrow as well as my General Practioner. Thanks.
Hey there,

I did come back here to post. I had my Gallbladder removed in July. I was very very veeeery scared but thanks to everyone here in this forum who took a bit of my scared !
I did not really suffer from diarhera. I was and still am, mostly the opposite. When I was suffering so bad from the Gallbladder I had a lot of times, a lot of days that I could not go to the bathroom. Used to feel very bloated with gas etc and I now, after the operation am still kinda like that. Sometimes I do get sort of diarhera but thats most likely linked to certain food for me.

I had pain exactly in the middle of my breasts, breastbone you call it I think. Uncontrollable pain. Standing doesn t help, sitting not and laying down is worse ! I had chills. Not really nausea or vomiting. I think I mostly got nausea a bit sometimes because the pain has stayed for very long and I keep rolling in the bed. Pain would last up to 8 hours or so. Painkillers did not help. Tea did not help. Nothing helped. Pain relief I only got when I go in the shower and put boiling hot water on my back....but as soon as I leave the shower it starts again.... it just used to go on its own and when its gone, its like either nothing ever happened and I sleep like a Baby. Or it feels like I had been drinking a lott of alcohol the day before and have a really bad headache and my stomach hurts like I did 50 sit ups or something like that ...
Did they do an Ultrasound?
Hope you get better !!!
Did you have an Ultrasound done?

Edit:
My pain mostly started in the night. Woke me up from my sleep. So if I had a heavy meal at 5 pm I would wake up at 1 am and have that pain. It will get more and more worse by 3 am and stay like that until the morning

Last edited by VeryScaredGirl; Yesterday at 11:03 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

9,949 posts, read 7,215,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryScaredGirl View Post
Hey there,

I did come back here to post. I had my Gallbladder removed in July. I was very very veeeery scared but thanks to everyone here in this forum who took a bit of my scared !
I did not really suffer from diarhera. I was and still am, mostly the opposite. When I was suffering so bad from the Gallbladder I had a lot of times, a lot of days that I could not go to the bathroom. Used to feel very bloated with gas etc and I now, after the operation am still kinda like that. Sometimes I do get sort of diarhera but thats most likely linked to certain food for me.

I had pain exactly in the middle of my breasts, breastbone you call it I think. Uncontrollable pain. Standing doesn t help, sitting not and laying down is worse ! I had chills. Not really nausea or vomiting. I think I mostly got nausea a bit sometimes because the pain has stayed for very long and I keep rolling in the bed. Pain would last up to 8 hours or so. Painkillers did not help. Tea did not help. Nothing helped. Pain relief I only got when I go in the shower and put boiling hot water on my back....but as soon as I leave the shower it starts again.... it just used to go on its own and when its gone, its like either nothing ever happened and I sleep like a Baby. Or it feels like I had been drinking a lott of alcohol the day before and have a really bad headache and my stomach hurts like I did 50 sit ups or something like that ...
Did they do an Ultrasound?
Hope you get better !!!
Did you have an Ultrasound done?

Edit:
My pain mostly started in the night. Woke me up from my sleep. So if I had a heavy meal at 5 pm I would wake up at 1 am and have that pain. It will get more and more worse by 3 am and stay like that until the morning
Hopefully all this is in your past, and you're much better these days!

Good to "hear" from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness