U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 AM

17,848 posts, read 54,109,596 times

Advertisements

Bravo, elnina, on calling out Mercola as worthless and even dangerous. I've had to warn people off that site before.

Oils are a complex subject, and information is conflicting and often tainted. Remember how margarine was supposedly better than butter?

Coconut oil is one of the top three oils for making good popcorn. Chances are, if you ate theater popcorn before 1990, it was made with coconut oil. The other popping oils that make good popcorn are peanut oil (high flash point) and, wait for it... fresh corn oil. It enhances the corn flavor slightly.

Speaking of oils and fads, I refuse to allow canola oil in my house. The marketing, lies, and promotional push behind that are as bad as it gets. Real unsaturated canola goes rancid quickly. When it first came out and was used in theatres for popping corn (due to marketing pressures) we had theatres that stank of a dead fish smell from rancid canola. Employees were developing rashes, and the situation was getting out of control until we switched back. IIRC,canola was then engineered to go rancid less quickly. Geee, I wonder how they did that...

After a lot of thought and research, my primary oil is grapeseed. Many people do fine with olive oil, I do better with grapeseed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 03:17 PM

31,599 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Successful marketing campaigns.

It has it's place and uses, but I am not putting oil in my morning coffee.

I like it for baking things where the coconut flavor adds to it. Otherwise I primarily use olive, avocado and grapeseed oils.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-15-2019, 03:29 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,758,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
bingo!!!

this is exactly whats happening ...in all my keto facebook forums (hundreds of thousands of people) coconut oil is very popular as a healthy fat
also many say its great for skin and a great lubricant .. (yes, for squeaky doors )
I am with you. When SO wanted to know if I baked macaroons that was the start and end of me using coconut oil on me.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:47 PM

169 posts, read 264,193 times
Dr Oz. A local health food store dedicated a shelf to Dr oz recommended stuff. It was pretty big 10 or 15 years ago to just blindly follow whatever he said to use, and he was big on coconut oil. I guess it stuck. I only use it to make soap.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:26 PM

18,343 posts, read 23,506,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
Dr Oz. A local health food store dedicated a shelf to Dr oz recommended stuff. It was pretty big 10 or 15 years ago to just blindly follow whatever he said to use, and he was big on coconut oil. I guess it stuck. I only use it to make soap.
never seen dr oz....but I use a lot of coconut oil...

Old 06-15-2019, 08:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 388,694 times
Quote:
Ten years ago, coconut oil was something you rarely found, and was considered toxic for your health. Now you can even find it in certain dollar stores. What’s going on?
Latest fad. Remember pumpkin pie spice a few months ago? It's that again.

It *does* make good popcorn, so at least this fad's halfway useful.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:30 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Ten years ago, coconut oil was something you rarely found, and was considered toxic for your health. Now you can even find it in certain dollar stores. What’s going on?
I have read that the coconot oil sold is not from real coconuts but are made from paraffin wax with some artificial coconut flavor.

But we use coconut oil and sesame oil for cooking and they are much heatlthier than the canola or vegetable oil which have a high probability of being GMO. Coconut oil can be used pretty much universally after water - dryskin, rashes, hair growth, improving skin texture , bruises. The benefits have been around for 100's of years.

Sometimes I wonder if people are kept in dark. Peanuts and Coconut oil are the best things that one can eat. But I wonder if anyone investigates what causes peanut allergy and why its considered dangerous.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:16 AM

4,926 posts, read 2,272,349 times
On page 1 in the book: The Coconut Oil Miracle, by Dr. Bruce Fife, under the heading “Introduction”, he writes:

Quote:
Some years ago, while meeting with a group of nutritionists, one of the members of the group made the statement “Coconut oil is good for you” . We all gasped in disbelief. Coconut oil healthy? Preposterous we thought. Everywhere we go we’re told how bad coconut oil is because it’s a source of “artery-clogging” saturated fat. How could coconut oil be good for you?

She knew we would doubt her statement and explained, “Coconut oil has been unjustly criticized and is actually one of the good fats.” She cited several studies proving to us that it wasn’t the evil villain it was made out to be and that it actually provided many valuable health benefits.
The introduction continues on for a page & a half but the funny thing is that the doctor sort of downplays the scenario of cognitive dissonance that occurred when he was told that coconut oil is actually good for us.

He wasn’t exactly intrigued right away. He argued about it for weeks during the early-1990, back when Dr. Fife was still a med student & was also studying nutrition. This was way before he wrote the first edition of this first book in 1999 or became famous & known as ‘The Coconut Oil Doctor’ as featured on the Dr Oz show.

I know this because it occurred at my parents house every Tuesday evening & the woman he learned about it from & mentioned in his Introduction; was my mom. In the first edition, he actually mentions her by name but she got mad about it so he changed it.

Last edited by coschristi; 06-16-2019 at 02:27 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 04:55 AM

576 posts, read 193,149 times
I agree that the two extremes of keto and veganism are what seems to be driving the demand for coconut oil. Though there are camps of vegan groups (like the whole foods plant based no oil) that eschew oil of any kind, including coconut.

I use it on occasion for baking or high temp roasting, but in moderation and not daily or even weekly.

I am guilty of using coconut based soap (Kirks castile) regularly more for ethical reasons than health but also because there isn't a lot of unnecessary ingredients in their fragrance free soap. It's really really hard to find good soap around here without paying a fortune for some of the natural homemade soaps at Farmers markets. Someday when I have more time I am going to start making my own. I also use Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap which again uses coconut oil. Both are also vegan approved soaps, though the palm oil in Dr. Bronner's is questionable by some. I'm not vegan anymore but still keep some habits I had as a vegan. I am aware though that the coconut industry is not without controversy as far as human and animal rights, environmental destruction, politics etc.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:42 PM

835 posts, read 1,394,615 times
That's just a biased opinion put out by those with a conflicting interest or NOT updated, to generalize like that about a qualified professional devoted to nutritional medicine unlike many of his critics. industry has its own ulterior motives for trying to debunk good nutritional science.Always consider the sources. . Many other authors and very qualified medical professionals agree with Mercola on coconut oil. It also depends on the processing of the oils- whether it's cold pressed, Virgin, or not. He's a qualified professional, are you? some of his detractors are not, maybe a lot of them,some are plain unqualified. and nobody says he's perfect, just as these detractors certainly aren't either. He is far from alone in his assessment of coconut oil. I knew there'd be someone who didn't like him on here, but it's still a good place to check it out. People can verify the facts for themselves using other sources as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol... Mercola...
Mercola.com is a Quackery level pseudoscience website that advocates for sometimes dangerous, inaction or action, to serious health issues. A factual search reveals that Mercola has a very long list of failed fact checks and misleading claims that rivals Alex Jones in scope.

Again, I recommend you read the article (link on post #9)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or