U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 PM

835 posts, read 1,394,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I have read that the coconot oil sold is not from real coconuts but are made from paraffin wax with some artificial coconut flavor.

But we use coconut oil and sesame oil for cooking and they are much heatlthier than the canola or vegetable oil which have a high probability of being GMO. Coconut oil can be used pretty much universally after water - dryskin, rashes, hair growth, improving skin texture , bruises. The benefits have been around for 100's of years.

Sometimes I wonder if people are kept in dark. Peanuts and Coconut oil are the best things that one can eat. But I wonder if anyone investigates what causes peanut allergy and why its considered dangerous.

Never heard that about paraffin. i doubt it's a widespread phenomenon, maybe in countries where there isn't any accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 PM

835 posts, read 1,394,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Bravo, elnina, on calling out Mercola as worthless and even dangerous. I've had to warn people off that site before.

Oils are a complex subject, and information is conflicting and often tainted. Remember how margarine was supposedly better than butter?

Coconut oil is one of the top three oils for making good popcorn. Chances are, if you ate theater popcorn before 1990, it was made with coconut oil. The other popping oils that make good popcorn are peanut oil (high flash point) and, wait for it... fresh corn oil. It enhances the corn flavor slightly.

Speaking of oils and fads, I refuse to allow canola oil in my house. The marketing, lies, and promotional push behind that are as bad as it gets. Real unsaturated canola goes rancid quickly. When it first came out and was used in theatres for popping corn (due to marketing pressures) we had theatres that stank of a dead fish smell from rancid canola. Employees were developing rashes, and the situation was getting out of control until we switched back. IIRC,canola was then engineered to go rancid less quickly. Geee, I wonder how they did that...

After a lot of thought and research, my primary oil is grapeseed. Many people do fine with olive oil, I do better with grapeseed.
Very interesting how you denounce Mercola, then agree with him in everything you just said there.
Always consider the source of the criticisms. He is a well qualified professional, ahead of the pack, and others who aren't up to speed, will criticize based on what they know ( not as much) because they are old school. or they just don't agree. That doesn't make them correct. Like them, he may not be 100 percent right all the time. But other well qualified professionals IN THE SAME FIELD, do agree with him very often.
COMPETING IDEAS will result in one person trying to knock down another, usually to protect thier business and profits, and protect themselves against liability.

Find out what people's affiliations and motives are before believing them.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:15 PM

17,846 posts, read 54,109,596 times
*shrug* If Mercola said that it was sunny outside, I would probably believe him as much as anyone else. That does not mean that I find his advice reliable or on-target, and there have been areas where honest and knowledgeable people have reported problems:

https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...414-story.html

His finessing can be slick, and SOME of what he says may be true, just like it might be sunny outside. However, when the lumbering agency of the FTC is prodded into action, chances are pretty darned good there are some serious issues.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:03 AM

37 posts, read 7,261 times
There is the dental health aspect:
Attached Thumbnails
What explains the coconut oil boom?-pulling.jpg  

Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 AM

....and this :
Attached Thumbnails
What explains the coconut oil boom?-coconut-oil.jpg  

Old 06-30-2019, 09:08 AM

...and this:
Attached Thumbnails
What explains the coconut oil boom?-uses.jpeg  

Old 06-30-2019, 11:14 PM

27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
It is not the most versatile oil for me, I use it for recipes from the tropical zone and skin care in my homemade body butter.

But I recently uncovered coconut butter. And that is absolutely delicious in mashed sweet potatoes. I mash the sweet potatoes with chile flakes, salt, pepper and coconut butter.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:21 PM

236 posts, read 70,940 times
I highly doubt coconut oil is an antibacterial or an antifungal or whatever.

But there are some (small) benefits to coconut oil. Of all the naturally produced oils, it has the highest percentage of medium-chain triglycerides (MTCs). MTCs are special in that they are digested and metabolized differently than most fats. These fat can be broken down and absorbed without the help of the pancreatic enzymes. They are a fat, but they are processed by the digestive system like a carbohydrate. One big advantage here is that if your body can no longer process fat (if, say, you have chronic pancreatitis with exocrine insufficiency), you may be able to get away with coconut oil, although synthetically produced pure MTC oil would be even better. Of course this doesn’t explain why there is suddenly a huge market for coconut oil, since chronic pancreatitis is kind of a niche illness.

MTCs are also slightly less calorically dense than most other fats, so coconut oil is slightly less caloric than other oils. This is why some people call coconut oil a “skinny fat,” and think it is great for weight loss.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:56 PM

23,633 posts, read 8,219,173 times
I don't think it's a fad and when I was in rehabs for my knee mess I met a lot of CNA;s from the Phillipines and they were raised on it. I use it for sauteing and a drizzle on veggies when I don't have butter and use a tsp in my morning coffee....and there is a lot of information and stories about CO and keeping our memory fine tuned...I'm all for that.

It would be interesting to know the dementia and alzheimer rates in the Phillipines since CO has been used since their early days by the people.

https://www.bizvibe.com/blog/food-be...pines-exports/

And I have been using it as my toothpaste for at least 5 yrs, make my own and now buying Now Foods brand and love love love it and so do my teeth, but the dentists don't as I don't need to see them, like I did all my life. It is anti bacterial, my mouth has never been healthier... It's just too bad I didn't wise up a long time ago, could have saved myself a lot of dental stress and $$$$ but mostly the dental stress. And I've changed so much of what I put in my mouth today more than ever, like carbs and sugars.

And Dr. Mercola is one of those wonderful alternative doctors I have followed and learned so much from for some decades. I have a post in Alt Med on my favorite doctors, he's in this list.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-04-2019 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 10:53 AM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
The prevalence of dementia and related diseases are high in the Philippines.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or