U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM
 
157 posts, read 47,346 times
Reputation: 283

Advertisements

I realize that vaccines are a controversial topic, but I am specifically looking for personal experiences with vaccination, not people’s political views or what they think everyone should do or what they have heard 2nd or 3rd hand.

I am asking because I experienced the first symptoms of a serious autoimmune disorder the day after I got a flu shot three years ago at the age of 52. Prior to this I had had many vaccinations (some for foreign travel) with no problems at all. However, for the last three years I have been afraid to have any.

I cannot prove that the vaccination brought on the autoimmune disease, but for me the timing was highly suspicious. Also, the official line on the flu shot is that it is safe for the general public, but that in rare instances it might trigger or worsen autoimmune conditions in those who are susceptible.

I am also asking because my husband and I love exotic travel and are considering a trip to Madagascar. But that would mean I need a vaccination.... I will go to a travel physician and inquire, but in the meantime...

Is there anyone here who came down with an autoimmune disease right after a vaccination?

Also, if you do have an autoimmune disease but nonetheless still get flu shots and immunizations with no problem, please post that too.

Yes, I realize this is not a scientific poll, but I am interested nonetheless. Also, please your experience only ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:32 AM
 
9,566 posts, read 5,756,146 times
Reputation: 9631
I had a flu shot more then 20 years ago and that was when I first started seeing symptoms of my autoimmune disease. I also started getting eczema right after, something I never had previously. I’m sure will say it was all a coincidence but the timing is suspect. I have not had any vaccines since.

Last edited by MissTerri; 06-11-2019 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
1,692 posts, read 3,150,064 times
Reputation: 4371
I was dx'd with JRA when I was 11 and with SLE when I was 27. I have had the shingles, pneumonia vaccines and have the flu vaccine yearly with no issues.

When I was in the Army I had a ton of vaccines (multiple shots in both arms at the same time); my arms were sore, but didn't even get a temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,205 posts, read 19,706,009 times
Reputation: 45042
I have autoimmune diseases predating flu shots, and I get flu shots now with no problems.

I think the problem is people want a reason for things, and no one knows why we get auto immune diseases.

I bet I had water right before my first symptom... therefore it must have been the water that caused it, and really if you think about it, EVERYONE who has an autoimmune disease drinks water....

Anyway, sorry you have it, auto immune problems suck.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: on the wind
6,719 posts, read 2,745,159 times
Reputation: 22932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I am also asking because my husband and I love exotic travel and are considering a trip to Madagascar. But that would mean I need a vaccination.... I will go to a travel physician and inquire, but in the meantime...
FYI: The route and connections you make in order to reach Madagascar will influence which vaccines you may be required to get. You've probably satisfied some of them if you attended school in the US. Check your possible routes. If your flights go through mainland Africa/Nairobi there may be more than if you fly direct from Paris to Antananarivo. Also do your research on the anti-malarials. Some are more problematic than others.

Found this:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...one/madagascar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM
 
157 posts, read 47,346 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
FYI: The route and connections you make in order to reach Madagascar will influence which vaccines you may be required to get. You've probably satisfied some of them if you attended school in the US. Check your possible routes. If your flights go through mainland Africa/Nairobi there may be more than if you fly direct from Paris to Antananarivo. Also do your research on the anti-malarials. Some are more problematic than others.

Found this:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...one/madagascar
Wow, thanks so much. Actually, we haven’t committed to Madagascar yet. It will be either Madagascar or South Africa or northeastern India or somewhere in SE asia. The final choice will depend on a number of variables, but Madagascar is the top of the list for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 02:45 PM
 
157 posts, read 47,346 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have autoimmune diseases predating flu shots, and I get flu shots now with no problems.

I think the problem is people want a reason for things, and no one knows why we get auto immune diseases.

I bet I had water right before my first symptom... therefore it must have been the water that caused it, and really if you think about it, EVERYONE who has an autoimmune disease drinks water....

Anyway, sorry you have it, auto immune problems suck.
You are totally right about people wanting a reason for things. Actually, a couple of days before the onset of symptoms (the day before the flu shot), we had arrived home from our first ever trip to Japan. I know was dealing with massive jet lag. I also ate a lot of strange things in Japan, including probably a lot of soy. I noticed that when I added soy beans to my diet back in the fall, I started hearing more ear “pinging” (tinnitus that sounds like someone is plucking a tiny string in my ear) without actually losing any more hearing.

So, I have actually been thinking it was maybe the flu shot or the 12 hour jet lag or all the soy products, or some combo of the above. Or it was just random.

And, yes, although I loved it, now I’m also afraid to go back to Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you can’t look away" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
17,987 posts, read 8,094,753 times
Reputation: 10433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I realize that vaccines are a controversial topic, but I am specifically looking for personal experiences with vaccination, not people’s political views or what they think everyone should do or what they have heard 2nd or 3rd hand.

I am asking because I experienced the first symptoms of a serious autoimmune disorder the day after I got a flu shot three years ago at the age of 52. Prior to this I had had many vaccinations (some for foreign travel) with no problems at all. However, for the last three years I have been afraid to have any.

I cannot prove that the vaccination brought on the autoimmune disease, but for me the timing was highly suspicious. Also, the official line on the flu shot is that it is safe for the general public, but that in rare instances it might trigger or worsen autoimmune conditions in those who are susceptible.

I am also asking because my husband and I love exotic travel and are considering a trip to Madagascar. But that would mean I need a vaccination.... I will go to a travel physician and inquire, but in the meantime...

Is there anyone here who came down with an autoimmune disease right after a vaccination?

Also, if you do have an autoimmune disease but nonetheless still get flu shots and immunizations with no problem, please post that too.

Yes, I realize this is not a scientific poll, but I am interested nonetheless. Also, please your experience only ...
Well, I once had an auto-immune disease - Guillain-Barre - attributed to a case of the flu, in a year when I did NOT get a flu shot. No one can prove that's why I got it, but the timing was highly suspicious.

Made a believer in flu shots out of me. Nothing like nearly dying to change your perspective on whether it's worth while to reduce your chances of getting the flu. I'm pretty religious about getting them now.

Last edited by jacqueg; 06-11-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,101 posts, read 8,009,007 times
Reputation: 15119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have autoimmune diseases predating flu shots, and I get flu shots now with no problems.

I think the problem is people want a reason for things, and no one knows why we get auto immune diseases.

I bet I had water right before my first symptom... therefore it must have been the water that caused it, and really if you think about it, EVERYONE who has an autoimmune disease drinks water....

Anyway, sorry you have it, auto immune problems suck.
I see nothing wrong with people wanting to know WHY they are dealing with an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM
 
9,566 posts, read 5,756,146 times
Reputation: 9631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have autoimmune diseases predating flu shots, and I get flu shots now with no problems.

I think the problem is people want a reason for things, and no one knows why we get auto immune diseases.

I bet I had water right before my first symptom... therefore it must have been the water that caused it, and really if you think about it, EVERYONE who has an autoimmune disease drinks water....

Anyway, sorry you have it, auto immune problems suck.
Except for the fact that vaccines trigger an immune response and water does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top