U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 AM

586 posts, read 195,518 times

Advertisements

I smoked from 1997 to 2006. I had started around the same time I started heavily drinking alcohol (I have decades of sobriety now). I was very self destructive then and could care less about my health at the time.

I had tried to quit after having a total hysterectomy and losing both ovaries, and needing to be on HRT. But I made half hearted attempts at quitting and failed. In 2006 I had a baseline dexa scan to measure bone density since I was newly in surgical menopause (though on HRT). I was shocked at how bad my bones were. Since smoking is a huge risk factor for loss of bone density, that was all the motivation I needed to quit. I quit the same day of that scan and never looked back. It was VERY HARD to quit cold turkey and stay quit the first few months. I chewed a pack of gum a day for a while until I developed jaw issues lol. I gained a bit of weight at first but later lost it all and then some. I think the hardship I faced the first year after quitting was and is enough alone to deter me from ever restarting. Of course back then cigarettes were much cheaper. I can't imagine how people afford them now.

My lung power improved considerably when I quit. My activity level improved. I smelled better. Food tasted better. I stopped having chronic nausea and digestive issues. I sometimes wonder if smoking had contributed to the endometriosis I had had hence why I ended up with a hysterectomy later. I could smell things and my overall senses improved. I saved a lot of money.

I have a lot of anxiety and have struggled with that for years, and that was the hardest part of quitting smoking. It had relieved anxiety. I started exercising and that became and still is a way to cope with anxiety.

Also, my dexa scores improved after quitting smoking. It wasn't a huge improvement but noticeable.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,611,706 times
The OP says some smokers are outraged over all the smoking restrictions. Really? I don' t see it at all. I see no fight whatsoever and a lot of passivity. Heck, there could be outright prohibition and I could imagine most smokers saying " Thank you government for forcing me to quit". .

Old 06-13-2019, 04:35 AM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
lots of people. Even if you smoke outside your home or workplace, people are holding their breath as they walk past you. Don't you feel a little bad about that?
The stench of smoke is something smokers never smell but others around them sure do ,its a stench that permeates everything about them their hair,breath,clothing,their car,their house . just walking past a smoker you get a wiff of that cigarette stench. disgusting.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 AM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nicholsjeremiah View Post
What is the best possible ways to stop smoking?
Dont smoke another cigarette.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 AM

25,057 posts, read 23,942,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nicholsjeremiah View Post
What is the best possible ways to stop smoking?
My mother went through the Smokeenders program. https://smokenders.org/ She found the group support extremely helpful.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 AM

25,057 posts, read 23,942,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I smoked from 1997 to 2006. I had started around the same time I started heavily drinking alcohol (I have decades of sobriety now). I was very self destructive then and could care less about my health at the time.

I had tried to quit after having a total hysterectomy and losing both ovaries, and needing to be on HRT. But I made half hearted attempts at quitting and failed. In 2006 I had a baseline dexa scan to measure bone density since I was newly in surgical menopause (though on HRT). I was shocked at how bad my bones were. Since smoking is a huge risk factor for loss of bone density, that was all the motivation I needed to quit. I quit the same day of that scan and never looked back. It was VERY HARD to quit cold turkey and stay quit the first few months. I chewed a pack of gum a day for a while until I developed jaw issues lol. I gained a bit of weight at first but later lost it all and then some. I think the hardship I faced the first year after quitting was and is enough alone to deter me from ever restarting. Of course back then cigarettes were much cheaper. I can't imagine how people afford them now.

My lung power improved considerably when I quit. My activity level improved. I smelled better. Food tasted better. I stopped having chronic nausea and digestive issues. I sometimes wonder if smoking had contributed to the endometriosis I had had hence why I ended up with a hysterectomy later. I could smell things and my overall senses improved. I saved a lot of money.

I have a lot of anxiety and have struggled with that for years, and that was the hardest part of quitting smoking. It had relieved anxiety. I started exercising and that became and still is a way to cope with anxiety.

Also, my dexa scores improved after quitting smoking. It wasn't a huge improvement but noticeable.
Maybe it was good that you smoked at the time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21325691

My mom was disappointed because she didn't experience an improved sense of smell or taste after she quit. She'd read all sorts of hype about how great things would be, and it just didn't happen.

She didn't mind if people smoked around her, either. She liked the smell burning tobacco and a wood fire.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 AM

10,715 posts, read 21,370,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I understand that cigarettes are extremely addictive, but I still don't understand why anyone smokes now. I quit when I was young and it was not fun, but anyone who has willpower can do it.

There is no longer any doubt that smoking is one of the worst possible things you can do to your health. It might not kill you, but it is very likely to damage your quality of life. And it bothers other people, and can damage their health.

Some smokers get outraged about all the restrictions they have now. They refuse to believe that their smoke can make the people around them sick.

I could understand why someone would smoke if they are completely ignorant about health. They would have to be extremely ignorant though. And I can understand why someone smokes if they don't value their own health or the health of people around them. But I cannot understand why any intelligent caring person would smoke.

Addiction is really not an excuse, because you can get electronic cigarettes or nicotine pills or whatever.

And I do not consider it a valid excuse when someone says they enjoy smoking. Other addictive substances are probably much more enjoyable.

The reason I quit, when I was young, was because I noticed it bothered some nonsmokers. In those days, there weren't many nonsmokers. But now we are the majority. If you smoke you are bothering lots of people. Even if you smoke outside your home or workplace, people are holding their breath as they walk past you. Don't you feel a little bad about that?
I don't understand the reason for your post except to put people down. While you don't smoke now, you did at one time. For all we know you could have a junk food addiction and be over weight or maybe you spend lots of money that you don't have and have credit cards that are maxed out.

Smokers are the minority right now and that's a good thing. Be happy with that that young people aren't smoking these days and that cigarette prices are so high that people that do smoke are probably cutting down and trying to quit. They will when they're ready; that goes for myself too. I'm at a 1/2 pack a day. I had pretty good success with patches but just can't afford them. If you have extra money you can buy me some patches to quit.

Maybe try to start a charity that sponsors people with nicotine patches and gum. That's what's really needed. Some states do give free patches but they don't give many.

I've tried chantex, it didn't work and doesn't work for everyone.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:51 AM

1,217 posts, read 483,073 times
I smoked as teen on and off until I was 30.

6 months on 8 months off, or more.

Never got addicted.

I Quit at 30. When I hit my 40s, some current and old
Friends started dying from smoking. They started in their teens and in their 40s that's thirty years of
Smoking.

Some friends, who were very active, never saw 50.

The first 10 years of smoking are free.

After that.....

Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,242,543 times
I found it easy to quit smoking around the age of 30.

But drinking... that wasn't easy to stop.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,242,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
you holier than thou social justice warriors make me want to start smoking. There are bigger fish to fry than this. leave people be. Smoking is the last thing you need to be worrying about. Get it? go save someone else who needs saving. Say like, hmmmm, well, take your pick: homeless, abused, harmed.......... stop worrying about the wrong things for chrissakes! We can never be as pure as you ......think you are.

That's the way I see it. Two landscapers came by last week and they smoked outside while working. As long as they didn't toss their cigarettes butts on the ground their smoking didn't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or