U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
you holier than thou social justice warriors make me want to start smoking. There are bigger fish to fry than this. leave people be. Smoking is the last thing you need to be worrying about. Get it? go save someone else who needs saving. Say like, hmmmm, well, take your pick: homeless, abused, harmed.......... stop worrying about the wrong things for chrissakes! We can never be as pure as you ......think you are.
Smoking is the single most important issue when it comes to health. We do have a health crisis in the US. Fortunately, now it's only 15% that smoke. But they can cause tremendous damage to others when they smoke in confined areas. That is why it is no longer allowed in workplaces where I live. However it is allowed in apartment buildings.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I smoked from 1997 to 2006. I had started around the same time I started heavily drinking alcohol (I have decades of sobriety now). I was very self destructive then and could care less about my health at the time.

I had tried to quit after having a total hysterectomy and losing both ovaries, and needing to be on HRT. But I made half hearted attempts at quitting and failed. In 2006 I had a baseline dexa scan to measure bone density since I was newly in surgical menopause (though on HRT). I was shocked at how bad my bones were. Since smoking is a huge risk factor for loss of bone density, that was all the motivation I needed to quit. I quit the same day of that scan and never looked back. It was VERY HARD to quit cold turkey and stay quit the first few months. I chewed a pack of gum a day for a while until I developed jaw issues lol. I gained a bit of weight at first but later lost it all and then some. I think the hardship I faced the first year after quitting was and is enough alone to deter me from ever restarting. Of course back then cigarettes were much cheaper. I can't imagine how people afford them now.

My lung power improved considerably when I quit. My activity level improved. I smelled better. Food tasted better. I stopped having chronic nausea and digestive issues. I sometimes wonder if smoking had contributed to the endometriosis I had had hence why I ended up with a hysterectomy later. I could smell things and my overall senses improved. I saved a lot of money.

I have a lot of anxiety and have struggled with that for years, and that was the hardest part of quitting smoking. It had relieved anxiety. I started exercising and that became and still is a way to cope with anxiety.

Also, my dexa scores improved after quitting smoking. It wasn't a huge improvement but noticeable.
Great! Yes, exercise is a much better way of dealing with anxiety. Second hand smoke makes me extremely nauseous and anxious and generally miserable. I smoked for a while when I was very young, and after I quit I realized I had felt sick and anxious all that time.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The OP says some smokers are outraged over all the smoking restrictions. Really? I don' t see it at all. I see no fight whatsoever and a lot of passivity. Heck, there could be outright prohibition and I could imagine most smokers saying " Thank you government for forcing me to quit". .
No, there are plenty of smoker's rights people, incredibly enough. They hate the restrictions and do not understand the reasons for them. They deny that secondhand smoke is harmful.

And smoker's where I live avoid paying the high taxes by getting their cigarettes at the Indian reservation. Otherwise the expense would be ridiculous.

We have no laws about smoking in shared residence buildings, like apartment buildings. Because the smoker's rights people have always insisted they can do whatever they want in their own home. Oh really? Can they burn garbage in their apartment? Can they set off fireworks? Can they bang pots and pans in the middle of the night?

Their argument is so stupid, yet it has prevailed.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The stench of smoke is something smokers never smell but others around them sure do ,its a stench that permeates everything about them their hair,breath,clothing,their car,their house . just walking past a smoker you get a wiff of that cigarette stench. disgusting.
That's right, smokers don't smell it and they have no idea. They also have no understanding of the nausea it can cause in nonsmokers. It can also cause serious respiratory problems in nonsmokers. And it can cause all those horrible diseases in nonsmokers who are forced to breath their disgusting smoke.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM

4,808 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nicholsjeremiah View Post
What is the best possible ways to stop smoking?
Hypnosis with positive imagery, as well as acupuncture (treatment, then something clamped on ear) worked for me.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't understand the reason for your post except to put people down. While you don't smoke now, you did at one time. For all we know you could have a junk food addiction and be over weight or maybe you spend lots of money that you don't have and have credit cards that are maxed out.

Smokers are the minority right now and that's a good thing. Be happy with that that young people aren't smoking these days and that cigarette prices are so high that people that do smoke are probably cutting down and trying to quit. They will when they're ready; that goes for myself too. I'm at a 1/2 pack a day. I had pretty good success with patches but just can't afford them. If you have extra money you can buy me some patches to quit.

Maybe try to start a charity that sponsors people with nicotine patches and gum. That's what's really needed. Some states do give free patches but they don't give many.

I've tried chantex, it didn't work and doesn't work for everyone.
I would like to get involved somehow in helping to end this terrible addiction. Back in the 1960s we heard cigarettes caused cancer, but we got contradictory messages and didn't know what to believe. And we had no idea that secondhand smoke could harm or bother anyone.

My main concern right now is smoking in apartment buildings. The owner of the apartment complex where I live recently made the whole premises smoke free. However, it isn't easy to enforce. Some smokers are so addicted they don't seem capable of following the rule.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I smoked as teen on and off until I was 30.

6 months on 8 months off, or more.

Never got addicted.

I Quit at 30. When I hit my 40s, some current and old
Friends started dying from smoking. They started in their teens and in their 40s that's thirty years of
Smoking.

Some friends, who were very active, never saw 50.

The first 10 years of smoking are free.

After that.....
Yeah. All my old relatives who smoked died at around 70, the others lived past 90.

Not that I'm hoping to live past 90, just that I love feeling healthy and alive. Secondhand smoke makes the air feel dead and poisoned.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I found it easy to quit smoking around the age of 30.

But drinking... that wasn't easy to stop.
Maybe because drinking can make you feel good. Cigarettes just make you nauseous, and it feels great to quit.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
That's the way I see it. Two landscapers came by last week and they smoked outside while working. As long as they didn't toss their cigarettes butts on the ground their smoking didn't bother me.
They were outside, and you could easily avoid their smoke. If they came into your house and started stinking the place up you wouldn't be so happy.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 AM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
So. With all the put downs and snarky remarks, do we now have to ban SMOKING threads too?

Stop preaching, name calling, and get rid of the superior attitude. Be civil and polite. I've had to delete some posts--and that means that when you get snarky, whatever else you say gets deleted. So don't even bother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or