U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I would like to get involved somehow in helping to end this terrible addiction. Back in the 1960s we heard cigarettes caused cancer, but we got contradictory messages and didn't know what to believe. And we had no idea that secondhand smoke could harm or bother anyone.

My main concern right now is smoking in apartment buildings. The owner of the apartment complex where I live recently made the whole premises smoke free. However, it isn't easy to enforce. Some smokers are so addicted they don't seem capable of following the rule.
Here in NJ we can't smoke many places any more and it doesn't bother me. As for smoke free apartment buildings, I'd be on board with that. Nicotine really damages a house. My mother never inhaled. When we put the house on the market I had to wash everything down, glass, wood, walls because of it. One room was painted but the nicotine seeped thru it. They had to use killz on it. We don't smoke in my house

You should see what's available locally to fight smoking in places like apartment buildings and until that law passes there's always owning your own house.

My son works for Comcast; he said he rarely sees people smoking in houses any more because most are afaid of losing their kids to CPS

Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM

1,103 posts, read 582,419 times
Quote:
My main concern right now is smoking in apartment buildings. The owner of the apartment complex where I live recently made the whole premises smoke free. However, it isn't easy to enforce. Some smokers are so addicted they don't seem capable of following the rule.
If you buy a single family home, you can avoid indoor smoking!

Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM

19,824 posts, read 18,826,487 times
What cigarette smoking does for you.

Well, when I smoked I found it relaxed me. But what got me started was peer pressure in college--room mates urging me to smoke, giving me cigarettes.

There is no peer pressure anymore. Smoking is generally looked down upon. My apartment complex is all non smoking. One woman smokes but she gets in her car and drives down the street and smokes in her car. The workers cannot smoke on the grounds either. No one can smoke here.

Almost everyone I know who smoked stopped back in the 1970s when the news came out that smoking definitely caused cancer. That's when all these Smoke Enders groups started--groups to help people break the addiction. I went to the meetings. They told us that there is the psychological addiction that you have to break and then the more difficult physical addiction.

Some ideas I got from that group were--draw a disgusting picture of what smoking looks like and stick that picture some place where you will see it often. Bathroom mirror? And look around and notice the ugly ash trays full of cigarette butts. Think of that awful feeling you get when you're down to your last cig. and you have to run out to the store in the middle of the night. I mean YOU HAVE TO--because you are an addict.

None of that made me quit. (It helped though, when I finally had to quit.)

I quit when I started getting unbearable headaches from the smoke. And that is one thing cigarette smoking can do to people--migraines, regular headaches, stuffy nose and congestion, sick feeling, nausea. It can do that to the smoker and it often does it to non smokers.

For me, the psychological addiction was the hard part. I made a friend hide my cigs. He promised not to give me any. But one night I was such a wreck that I actually lay on the floor begging for a cig. So he got me one. whew. After that experience, I somehow stopped for good.

But then it was the physical part that plagued me--following people around simply to get a whiff because it actually smelled good to me.

OK, it's embarrassing to tell this story but it serves to show that giving up smoking is REALLY HARD. I only gave it up so I could get rid of debilitating headaches. Others tried hypnosis. But you do need to give it up.

Smokers know the diseases smoking causes. Do they want to be hooked up to an oxygen tank? Or get the diagnosis of lung cancer? Smokers smoke because they think they need to. They have to WANT to give it up. Giving up smoking is really hard--they say it's easier for men than for women--I don't know about that. But as a woman, the cigs were like little friends who were always there to comfort me. That is weird though. A cigarette as a friend? It's also something to do with your hands when you are unoccupied or at a social gathering.

To those who are preaching at people, get involved in your own community. Preaching here doesn't help. To those who smoke, you know it's not good for you so try to stop if you can. (It's hard to stop. No one is denying that. It is an ugly habit though. I used to do it and I know.)

Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 388,694 times
Quote:
The stench of smoke is something smokers never smell but others around them sure do ,its a stench that permeates everything about them their hair,breath,clothing,their car,their house . just walking past a smoker you get a wiff of that cigarette stench. disgusting.
Are you in an area where they legalized marijuana? Tobacco cigarette smoke I can at least tolerate, christ knows I breathed more than my fair share of my grandma's Merit Lights during my childhood. I'm out riding somewhere and somebody nearby is danking it up, it seems I can't get that damn bike into high gear fast enough. Ever driven through a rural area where somebody had just recently run over a skunk? It seems to hang in the air longer than tobacco smoke. It makes me wonder what pothead lungs must look like.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 PM

4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What cigarette smoking does for you.

Well, when I smoked I found it relaxed me. But what got me started was peer pressure in college--room mates urging me to smoke, giving me cigarettes.

There is no peer pressure anymore. Smoking is generally looked down upon. My apartment complex is all non smoking. One woman smokes but she gets in her car and drives down the street and smokes in her car. The workers cannot smoke on the grounds either. No one can smoke here.

Almost everyone I know who smoked stopped back in the 1970s when the news came out that smoking definitely caused cancer. That's when all these Smoke Enders groups started--groups to help people break the addiction. I went to the meetings. They told us that there is the psychological addiction that you have to break and then the more difficult physical addiction.

Some ideas I got from that group were--draw a disgusting picture of what smoking looks like and stick that picture some place where you will see it often. Bathroom mirror? And look around and notice the ugly ash trays full of cigarette butts. Think of that awful feeling you get when you're down to your last cig. and you have to run out to the store in the middle of the night. I mean YOU HAVE TO--because you are an addict.

None of that made me quit. (It helped though, when I finally had to quit.)

I quit when I started getting unbearable headaches from the smoke. And that is one thing cigarette smoking can do to people--migraines, regular headaches, stuffy nose and congestion, sick feeling, nausea. It can do that to the smoker and it often does it to non smokers.

For me, the psychological addiction was the hard part. I made a friend hide my cigs. He promised not to give me any. But one night I was such a wreck that I actually lay on the floor begging for a cig. So he got me one. whew. After that experience, I somehow stopped for good.

But then it was the physical part that plagued me--following people around simply to get a whiff because it actually smelled good to me.

OK, it's embarrassing to tell this story but it serves to show that giving up smoking is REALLY HARD. I only gave it up so I could get rid of debilitating headaches. Others tried hypnosis. But you do need to give it up.

Smokers know the diseases smoking causes. Do they want to be hooked up to an oxygen tank? Or get the diagnosis of lung cancer? Smokers smoke because they think they need to. They have to WANT to give it up. Giving up smoking is really hard--they say it's easier for men than for women--I don't know about that. But as a woman, the cigs were like little friends who were always there to comfort me. That is weird though. A cigarette as a friend? It's also something to do with your hands when you are unoccupied or at a social gathering.

To those who are preaching at people, get involved in your own community. Preaching here doesn't help. To those who smoke, you know it's not good for you so try to stop if you can. (It's hard to stop. No one is denying that. It is an ugly habit though. I used to do it and I know.)
I wasn't trying to preach here, just describe the situation. I know it's hard to quit, because I did. But I know that all you have to do is decide never to smoke again. And you start feeling your health recovering and you never want to have smoke-filled lungs again.

I remember when I thought I liked cigarettes, but they really never tasted good or made me feel good. It's just a habit, that's all, and an addiction.

I stopped not long after the first time a nonsmoker told me it bothered them, and I could not smoke in their house or their car. That was a surprise to me, that I could be bothering anyone.

Most smokers now days are probably aware that a lot of people are bothered by their smoke. So I don't understand why they don't care.

And the diseases are well known now. Cardiovascular disease and cancer, the most common killers, are often caused by cigarettes. Either that or other lifestyle factors. They do not result naturally from old age. I sure don't want to have strokes, and go on living.

Emphysema sounds like a horrible way to die slowly.

I know that young people don't worry as much about health, but there is so much awareness about smoking now.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Are you in an area where they legalized marijuana? Tobacco cigarette smoke I can at least tolerate, christ knows I breathed more than my fair share of my grandma's Merit Lights during my childhood. I'm out riding somewhere and somebody nearby is danking it up, it seems I can't get that damn bike into high gear fast enough. Ever driven through a rural area where somebody had just recently run over a skunk? It seems to hang in the air longer than tobacco smoke. It makes me wonder what pothead lungs must look like.
I don't like marijuana smoke either, but no one chain smokes pot. Anything that is once in a while is tolerable. But people that smoke one cigarette after another, indoors, I cannot tolerate at all.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,826,487 times
closing this thread for now.

Opened again but please be careful of people's feelings. Help if you can, but don't lecture or criticize people.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-13-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 PM

13,009 posts, read 6,219,411 times
Quote:
Smoking is the single most important issue when it comes to health. We do have a health crisis in the US. Fortunately, now it's only 15% that smoke. But they can cause tremendous damage to others when they smoke in confined areas. That is why it is no longer allowed in workplaces where I live. However it is allowed in apartment buildings.
We live in a smoke-free apartment building. When we signed our lease, it was made very clear that there would be no smoking anywhere on the premises. We even had to initial that part of the lease as a way of acknowledging that we were aware. Still, now and then there are people who violate the lease terms. In our first apt. here, we found couple of cigarette butts on our balcony. We let the office know. We finally found out who the culprit was after we moved to a different unit in the building. One day I noticed a guy out on his balcony (his apt. was a few floors above our old place) he was smoking. When he saw me, I shook my head "no" and even counted to see which floor he was on. Then I reported it along with the apartment number. We never saw him again out there.

The way I see it, if you are a smoker, then don't rent in a non-smoking building. However, if you insist on doing so, then don't violate the terms of your lease.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 AM

18,343 posts, read 23,506,172 times
a nervous habit of many …..its a break in the mundane working environment of many

I don't condone smoking its attributed to many funerals ive been to..

so if cigarettes are full of carcinogens....are very very harmful.....to just about every aspect..of our lifes from cancer to heart attacks..
then where is the "healthy" cigarette …..if its a nervous habit and millions still now smoke....then where is the cigarette that can give you vitamins ??? yes it isn't gonna taste like a cig that we are use to...but so what??

I want to see someone go to shark tank and light up a cigarette....say they are inhaling there probiotics vitamins and minerals and there's no negatives at all

Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a nervous habit of many ..its a break in the mundane working environment of many
It's an excuse to go outside the office every 15 minutes and have a little smoking party. How do they get any work done??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or