U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,647,974 times

Advertisements

So I had a very minor surgery two days ago. The doctor prescribed meds for "the pain" and suggested I fill the script immediately, I haven't yet.

So far, I feel - nothing. Today I will remove the original bandages and I imagine this is where there may be some pain as the bandage is pulled and pulls at the skin and tugs at the wound?

Maybe I need to get the meds before pulling the bandage? When did the pain start for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
Different people experience pain, or the lack of pain, differently. It may never hurt.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 AM

15,200 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Yeah...I had some surgery on my nose to remove a BCC...they offered me pain meds and since I never need them for dental procedures (wisdom teeth removal) or anything else (thyroidectomy) I told them not to call it in to the pharmacy. The next day I took a few Excedrin - not so much for pain as for discomfort from swelling.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 AM

9,743 posts, read 7,022,649 times
I think pain levels, besides as others say at least partially dependent on the individual's perspective, also have to do with where the surgical site is located, ie, the number of pain receptors at the site. Hence tge incision from surgery at a location such as the hands or feet, around the face might be more painful than surgery around the abdomen. Think about how much a paper cut on a finger hurts compared to a cut on another part of the body.

I think that pain also depends on the amount of manipulation, cutting, etc. that happens during surgery, as injured or "insulted" tissue aggrevates their associated nerves which may cause pain after surgery.

I had several breast lumpectomies, and remember there was very little pain around the areas or incision sites. I don't think I was prescribed any pain medication, but was advised to use either acetominophen or motrin for any discomfort, and that suited me fine.

And I'm right as we speak experiencing some post-surgical "discomfort", I guess you'd call it. I had a cardiac pacemaker put in yesterday, so there's some pain associated with that. But several hours after the procedure ( after the local anesthesia wore off, I'd say), it felt like a bad toothache that went from just below the incision site up to and including my jaw, and I had a monster headache and I thought my heart hurt as well. I guess I'd attribute that pain to the manipulation of tissue to create the pacemaker pocket, and whatever insults the heart goes through to stuff pacer leads into the aorta/ventricle.

The nurses offered me pain meds, apparently the doc had ordered anything from regular strength to extra strength Tylenol, to Percoset or Tylenol 3 ( has codeine in that, IIRC?) depending on my perceived pain levels or preferences. I don't do well with codeine, the few times in my life I have taken it I have experienced severe nausea and tossed every cookie I ate for the week prior, so I preferred the pain to that.

So I chose the Extra Strength Tylenol, and found that helped the pain a great deal, so that was my "take home" recommendation for pain control.

Well,,today, the pain is much better, though it still hurts with movement and the area feels a bit like somebody punched and gouged at it ( to be expected), and I can handle that, pretty much without even the Tylenol, though I probably will indulge in some Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah...I had some surgery on my nose to remove a BCC...they offered me pain meds and since I never need them for dental procedures (wisdom teeth removal) or anything else (thyroidectomy) I told them not to call it in to the pharmacy. The next day I took a few Excedrin - not so much for pain as for discomfort from swelling.
Hubby has been given pain meds for several surgeries and the most he has taken has been 1 before going to bed. Most of his surgeries have been related to hernias

Old 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 20,437,717 times
Some surgeries hurt worse than others. I had two c-sections and the pain from the first was pretty bad, especially when trying to move from laying down to sitting up. The second didn't hurt at all and I kept having to remind myself that I'd just had major abdominal surgery and needed to take it easy.

Then I had surgery for a broken leg, with hardware put in. When I first broke it, before the surgery, it felt like it was on fire. I'd wake up beating the blankets, because I was dreaming that the bed was burning. My husband could tell when the meds wore off when I was asleep, because I'd start crying or groaning in my sleep. Right after the surgery, the pain was so intense that I was vomiting. It was horrible for about three days, and then lessened somewhat. It hurt enough the first three months after surgery that I had to take painkillers. I didn't have trouble stopping the painkillers, just decreased the dosage as the pain lessened.

I had an endometrial resection after that and they gave me pain meds, but I didn't need them. I didn't have any pain from that surgery at all, just bruises on my arms and neck from apparently fighting them when they had to intubate me a second time.

No pain after surgery is a good thing.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 PM

3,991 posts, read 2,601,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Different people experience pain, or the lack of pain, differently. It may never hurt.
This. I had a fairly small incision when they removed a lipoma and never took any pain meds. I got the prescription filled but I never took the pills.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,094,492 times
I've had a couple of major surgeries with no need for pain pills afterward.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:36 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
It's silly IMO to ask why something doesn't hurt - be grateful!

Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,161,305 times
I think a lot depends on your pain level and where the surgery site is. I had surgery on my abdomen and it HURT.

They wanted me to cough to keep my lungs clear of pneumonia, but they gave me a pillow to hold on my stomach for the pain as I coughed. It helped.

After 4 days in the hospital I was released with a script for a bottle of pain killers. I think I used one. By then, the pain had pretty much subsided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness