U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM
 
Location: OHIO
2,351 posts, read 1,075,900 times
Reputation: 5378

Advertisements

Example 1: ordering online- they have to get the actual Rx from your eye dr- why? Because they need to know the information... How else would they know what strength to make your stuff? It's safer/ more accurate to get it straight from the dr.

Example 2: you tear a bunch of contacts and actually end up needing more than a one year supply in that year, but cannot get them- why? I've been wearing contacts for 14 years, I always need to order more. As long as I am within my year its never been an issue. I call my eye dr. and they order them

Example 3: you have not had time for your yearly dr appt, and cannot get new contacts or glasses because your Rx expired- why? Eyes can change and it's bad for your eyes to wear the wrong "script". I have gone every spring, give or take, since I was 8. That's your responsibility

And if your vision is bad enough that tearing your last set of contacts leaves you in a bind and unable to see, you should always have glasses. I cannot see without mine and have a pair of glasses with me basically 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2019, 08:04 AM
 
5,222 posts, read 5,088,669 times
Reputation: 9729
Work hard.
Rock hard.
Eat hard.
Sleep hard.
Grow big.
Wear glasses if you need 'em.

- The Webb Wilder Credo

www.webbwilder.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: DFW
554 posts, read 154,707 times
Reputation: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Eyeglass prescriptions are good for two years, contact lenses for one year. I have the contacts that I replace every two weeks and I can order as many times as I want within that year. I guess if somebody was stockpiling them something may be said.
Thank you! So far, it seems you are the only person who understood my question, which essentially is my own fault.

I was asking if we are like 1 day, 1 week, 1 month past the X date on the damn prescription, why can't we take it upon ourselves to just refill the SAME OLD LENSES? Why do they just put an estopple on my kids' Rx and not allow one more box of contacts until I can get them to the dr? It's ridiculous. Like I said, not like I am getting extra uppers or downers and selling them on the streets. The worst that could happen is the Rx is slightly off, and the kids' vision is 20/30 instead of 20/20. Big whoop!
I think there is more to the story- like some kind of Optometrist/Ophthalmologist lobby so that they can keep people coming in regularly.
Once again, Canada doing things better than the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Reputation: 32152
I'm guessing there is just as much pressure from the side of the optician or contact lens supplier because when they provide an outdated Rx, they are the ones who will be losing money when the customer complains that "hey, wait a minute, I'm not seeing great with these" and then wants new ones for free once they actually get an updated Rx.

I've worn glasses since I was 5, and I can't imagine spending money on the wrong Rx for my eyes any more that I would expect to walk into a pharmacy and demand the druggist give me pills for a 3 year old antibiotic, based on my saying "well, I have some sort of infection now, it doesn't matter exactly what it is, or if this antibiotic is correct, it's what I have a prescription for so give it to me."

And needing a Rx doesn't make something a "controlled substance" - that terminology is for things like opioids that have to be tracked more carefully because of the risk of abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,691 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Reputation: 29370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I understand why prescriptions would be required for controlled substances. But why are prescriptions mandatory for eyeglasses/contacts?
Example 1: ordering online- they have to get the actual Rx from your eye dr- why?
Example 2: you tear a bunch of contacts and actually end up needing more than a one year supply in that year, but cannot get them- why?
Example 3: you have not had time for your yearly dr appt, and cannot get new contacts or glasses because your Rx expired- why?

Who is it hurting to buy glasses/contacts all willy nilly, even if that were the case?
Ah, the age old question my patients ask me every day at work. I am an optician and a person who has worked as a technician for an ophthalmologist (eye MD) and a technician for an optometrist as well and have worked in eye health for nearly 15 years, so I am quite qualified to answer your question. A common misconception patients have is that they only see the eye doctor to get the glasses prescription. That is not the case. The primary purpose of the eye exam is to test the health of the eye. An eye exam checks the person for many eye diseases they might not even know they have: cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, dry eye, styes, eye infections and irritations, and some systemic diseases can be detected through an eye exam like high blood pressure and diabetes. When the doctor writes the eyeglass prescription, they write it because other people can't wear the same lenses you can. Why? Because eyeglasses are a medicine for your eyes. Just like one person needs blood pressure medicine and another person needs arthritis medicine so they need a prescription written by a doctor, one person needs glasses to see far away and another may need reading glasses.

"So why can't people use 5 year old prescriptions?" you ask. Because hardly anyone sees the same as they did five years ago. People's bodies change, and since their eyes are a part of their body, that includes them too. So they need a new eye exam, which is really an eye health exam, and it includes a new glasses prescription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Mountains of Oregon
15,318 posts, read 17,767,956 times
Reputation: 10657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I don't have poor vision, so I am truly asking this question: if you ran out of contacts, and only had eye glasses from 3 years ago, and say it was Christmas day (no dr available), if you picked up your old glasses couldn't you at least mostly see?

When my kids run out of contacts they tell me when the contacts are all gone. Not last box, completely out. So I will call to get more, and it will be like "NOPE gotta see the dr, but he is fully booked until July 21". So now my kids, one of whom is actually medically necessary on vision correction, cannot get any sort of corrective lens.
Same kids had to start very young with corrective lenses, and being kids, would rapidly break/lose/etc, well before the end of the Rx. Why would I HAVE to have a Rx to get a corrective lens, as if they were opioid drugs I could be harming kids with?
It just makes no sense.

Perhaps it would work if you took one of your kids contacts to hold onto as a backup. So when they run out of the rest of their contacts, they will still have ONE, & you will know you have to reorder their Prescription NOW, or make an appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM
 
3,247 posts, read 845,371 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I understand why prescriptions would be required for controlled substances. But why are prescriptions mandatory for eyeglasses/contacts?
Example 1: ordering online- they have to get the actual Rx from your eye dr- why?
Example 2: you tear a bunch of contacts and actually end up needing more than a one year supply in that year, but cannot get them- why?
Example 3: you have not had time for your yearly dr appt, and cannot get new contacts or glasses because your Rx expired- why?

Who is it hurting to buy glasses/contacts all willy nilly, even if that were the case?
I know of two online sources that will fulfill an order w/o actually seeing your prescription. I have PERSONALLY ordered from SaveOnLens and a family member has personally ordered from Zenni. We both have continued to order from those sources.

Glasses: www.zennioptical.com
Contacts: Buy Contact Lenses Online | Cosmetic Contact Lens | Save On Lens Contacts

These skirt the red tape for the "do-it-yourself" lens wearer.

It is my understanding that if the office is selling contacts, they're turning a profit and will gladly sell you more. The issue comes up if your INSURANCE will pay to replace them. Many vision carriers only offer a $200/year benefit max to go towards EITHER glasses or contacts. This may be the issue.

You may have an annual visit and annual allowance, but rest assured, vision prescriptions are good for TWO YEARS and you can order as many as you want from anywhere during that time. You MAY have to pay in full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM
 
Location: DFW
554 posts, read 154,707 times
Reputation: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the age old question my patients ask me every day at work. I am an optician and a person who has worked as a technician for an ophthalmologist (eye MD) and a technician for an optometrist as well and have worked in eye health for nearly 15 years, so I am quite qualified to answer your question. A common misconception patients have is that they only see the eye doctor to get the glasses prescription. That is not the case. The primary purpose of the eye exam is to test the health of the eye. An eye exam checks the person for many eye diseases they might not even know they have: cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, dry eye, styes, eye infections and irritations, and some systemic diseases can be detected through an eye exam like high blood pressure and diabetes. When the doctor writes the eyeglass prescription, they write it because other people can't wear the same lenses you can. Why? Because eyeglasses are a medicine for your eyes. Just like one person needs blood pressure medicine and another person needs arthritis medicine so they need a prescription written by a doctor, one person needs glasses to see far away and another may need reading glasses.

"So why can't people use 5 year old prescriptions?" you ask. Because hardly anyone sees the same as they did five years ago. People's bodies change, and since their eyes are a part of their body, that includes them too. So they need a new eye exam, which is really an eye health exam, and it includes a new glasses prescription.
Wouldn't let me rep you, but thank you. And I need an eye exam by the way Would you be mad if I told you I am 50 and have never had one? You'd have to reference my thread about not having enough time off in my job as to the reason in the last 2 years, but most of my life I did not have health insurance. From the age of 35-45 I have no excuses though. I honestly did not think it was that important, so thanks again!

FWIW- I would not make my kids go 5 years, but may be in a situation where they need a month or two extra boxes on the same Rx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Mountains of Oregon
15,318 posts, read 17,767,956 times
Reputation: 10657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Wouldn't let me rep you, but thank you. And I need an eye exam by the way Would you be mad if I told you I am 50 and have never had one? You'd have to reference my thread about not having enough time off in my job as to the reason in the last 2 years, but most of my life I did not have health insurance. From the age of 35-45 I have no excuses though. I honestly did not think it was that important, so thanks again!

FWIW- I would not make my kids go 5 years, but may be in a situation where they need a month or two extra boxes on the same Rx

I'm an ol' Mountain man. The vision in my left eye got very blurred & i had to have Cataract surgery. It was a terrible feeling when i could barely see where i was going.
Now i see wonderfully. I have 20/20 vision in my left eye. I will have to have Cataract surgery in my right eye eventually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM
 
Location: PVB
3,211 posts, read 1,637,400 times
Reputation: 3715
https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...er-only-1-year

I am quoting from the above link in red:

Texas has a state law which mandates a one year expiration."the FTC's "Fairness to Contact Lens Consumer's Act," of 2004, which was expanded to include glasses. it's also known as the "contact lens law."

It's a rule that now requires doctors to give you your prescription, so that you can get glasses or contacts anywhere you want, including online or going to Sam's Club or Costco."


I was in the Optical biz for 40+ years and once that happened, contacts became a commodity and there was minimal profit involved. You could buy them anywhere at prices barely above what we paid. What was the option? Raise the exam and fitting fee to cover the loss of income from the contacts or else go out of business. We sold contacts for the same price as the online places and made little to nothing but we were there for the non internet folks and kept our patients happy.
Its to your benefit to get an annual exam and make sure there are no health issues and the like. Exam expirations are different in various states and limiting them to a year or 2 is in your best interests. If they didn't expire then people would use the same Rx for ages.
I retired a few years ago and I am glad I did. Watch the following video:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/why-...t-experts.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top