U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:15 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,882,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
NSAIDS have three effects: antipyretic (anti- fever)--anti-inflammatory and pain relief. Tylenol is great for fevers, has zero effect on inflammation and is good for pain in only ~ 1 in 4 pts. If it works for you-- great!...

You already have sever renal failure so you don't have to worry about its effects on the kidneys, and it has little effect in causing stomach ulcers like the other NSAIDS....I've always contended that the side effects of chronic opioid use are much less common and sever than the side effects of chronic NSAID use.
That's reason I remain on hydrocodone as opposed to the many doses per day of
Aleve it'd take to make a dent in the back pain...the side effects eventually wear off, usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 11:18 AM

4,813 posts, read 1,828,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ah a person who feels the same thing about the difference.. I work to keep off any surgeries and I've got a nasty knee and do everything to keep going as I think back to the drugs. And post surgery results. Make sure ibuprofen is taken with food.

Again I go to WHY can't pharma give us meds that don't give us so many side effects. One would think...... but they all come with side effects, some worse than the other.
Medical marijuana does not have side effects and is very effective for many maladies.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:24 AM

23,646 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Medical marijuana does not have side effects and is very effective for many maladies.
I really don't want to go there, it's pricey and don't to smoke or eat stuff with MJ....the only good thing about what I deal with in my life now is I'm retired and don't have to be anywhere for anyone anymore. My issues all got worse with hip surgery and I was retired...so I guess I need to be thankful there.

I've been taking MSM for some yrs and I do believe it's helpful so I continue it two times daily in water.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM

10,522 posts, read 15,573,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nothing like the feeling of going from pain, to pain free!

Sure. Most if not all that I pass in front of the methadone clinic on my way to work likely experienced that at some point in their history.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:34 AM

10,522 posts, read 15,573,695 times
Also, let me elaborate on my post above. Not to be called of cold hearten sob.
I am Certified Orthotist. I work with people with back pain daily. I just passed 25 years of my professional career. That said, I tend to know what I am talking about.
Also, I come from a VERY bad back line. I am very well familiar with what it is and feels like. Been crippled by it few times since age 19. So I also have first hand knowledge.
But here's simple observation. Totality of patients I work with never really lifted anything heavier than a spoon with food. Or fork. Females tend ot be those that "were always taken care of'. Literally none of them ever put any effort into having strong core and overcome pain that way. Like I did.

Surprisingly, quite a few are those hwo had leg length discrepancy since childhood, that was never addressed, resulting in progressive scoliosis and further surgical interventions. What only cripples them even more.
I fixed my back by heavy weight lifting. Me and my back are good friends. I respect it, it pays me back with ability to do what I want, though mindfully.
So that's my resume to my previous post. There will ALWAYS be Mr Good Surgeon around to "help you out'. Followed by a Good Orthotist, when it all starts failing and crmbling due to osteoporosis and muscle weakness.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 PM

31,600 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sure. Most if not all that I pass in front of the methadone clinic on my way to work likely experienced that at some point in their history.

And millions that use pain relief responsibly are NOT in front of methadone clinics.

DH was on fentanyl and morphine for 2 years, and while coming off it was a uncomfortable, he hasn't been out trying to score in the 3 years hence. Same with me, I was told I would have an addiction to some high dose of some pain med for 3 months (demerol I think), and I quit cold turkey after surgery with no withdrawl.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM

15,105 posts, read 3,993,514 times
Quote:
I am Certified Orthotist. I work with people with back pain daily. I just passed 25 years of my professional career. That said, I tend to know what I am talking about.
Also, I come from a VERY bad back line. I am very well familiar with what it is and feels like. Been crippled by it few times since age 19. So I also have first hand knowledge.
But here's simple observation. Totality of patients I work with never really lifted anything heavier than a spoon with food. Or fork. Females tend ot be those that "were always taken care of'. Literally none of them ever put any effort into having strong core and overcome pain that way. Like I did.

Surprisingly, quite a few are those hwo had leg length discrepancy since childhood, that was never addressed, resulting in progressive scoliosis and further surgical interventions. What only cripples them even more.
I fixed my back by heavy weight lifting. Me and my back are good friends. I respect it, it pays me back with ability to do what I want, though mindfully.
So that's my resume to my previous post. There will ALWAYS be Mr Good Surgeon around to "help you out'. Followed by a Good Orthotist, when it all starts failing and crmbling due to osteoporosis and muscle weakness.
Surely not an either/or situation. Moderation in all things.

I have been lifting stuff (rigging, carpentry, HVAC) my entire life and still doing so at 65. Sailing and playing tennis and walking and DIY.....even tho now retired.

The good part is I can lift much more than a fork.....the other side to the coin is that 40 years of heavy physical activity can wear on the lower back (as I am sure you know!)......

I've been on very light opiates (5-10 MME a day) for many years and it's just part of my routine like my coffee, stretching and other things I do to keep the body and mind happy. In general it works....

If I had my way I'd walk to the corner pharmacy like in the old days and buy tincture and just put 3 drops in my morning coffee and be done with it. Oh, I don't drink, smoke, partake of pot or anything else like that....

For those of us who have core strength and muscles here is what comes into play......

1. I could take the full allowed amount of tylenol or other similar stuff daily and destroy my stomach and liver......or, some light opiates and very little NSAID.....

or

2. I could get two massages a week a perhaps see a PT once every two weeks. Cost for the massages alone would be $600 a month. The effect would be the same as $20 worth of pills per month.....

Heck, if I would just get a couple massages a week and have all kinds of other treatments.....I'd be Golden. But that's crazy money and time.

I'd rather drink a strong cup of coffee in the morning than try other things to achieve that same wake-up call. It's no different with the opiates. Addictions? Ha......I'm from the 60's. - If I took even a basic "real" dose of opiates I wouldn't like the feeling because it's constipating as well as slows the breathing...not something I desire. Also, some of them cause itching and sleeplessness.

No thanks. Moderation in all things. But if I was a 7+ pain patient I'd get ahold of them some way or another! I'd move to Mexico if I had to....no way I would live my life in pain. I believe life is for pleasure....whether that is my own of that I give to others, and I sure can't give it laying on the couch.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 PM

2,532 posts, read 950,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It really does help a lot.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:07 PM

2,532 posts, read 950,798 times
Quote:

I had read something similar over 10-15 yrs ago. That back problems were mainly caused by weak abs. I think "weak core" would be more accurate. The muscles act like a girdle supporting the spine from every direction. Every person I've met who has had back surgery has gotten worse because of it.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:48 AM

15,105 posts, read 3,993,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And millions that use pain relief responsibly are NOT in front of methadone clinics.

DH was on fentanyl and morphine for 2 years, and while coming off it was a uncomfortable, he hasn't been out trying to score in the 3 years hence. Same with me, I was told I would have an addiction to some high dose of some pain med for 3 months (demerol I think), and I quit cold turkey after surgery with no withdrawl.
It's like how some tell you that one cannot stop drinking or smoking. I stopped smoking cigs after 3 years of full time use.....and didn't have even the slightest effect from doing so.

So much mis-information around. Sure, you will become dependent on a mid-dose of opiates taken over months or years. BUT, what they don't tell you is that for this type of dependence, you will likely have 5-10 days of being uncomfortable when you stop. That's a worthy trade-off IMHO.....

I read a book about the Guns and Roses guitar guy....hooked to HEAVY Heroin for many many years. Now...I'm not suggesting others do it, but he probably did 10X or more what a regular opiate user does. He stopped numerous times...he'd go home and tell his band and friends that he had a terrible flu and it would take about 3 weeks.

So much money in all of this - the legal drugs, the docs and now billions in the "get you off opiates" industry...and you know what? They don't know things.....if they did, they wouldn't have let it happen. They would KNOW that the current clampdown is a bonus for illegal drugs and fentanyl chemists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness