U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:34 AM

31,600 posts, read 19,939,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It really does help a lot.
Except I can take my pain killer (tramadol) and go to the gym, hiking, etc. and I can't do that stoned.

Plus the "side effect" of being stoned, I don't really like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 12:28 PM

2,532 posts, read 950,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Except I can take my pain killer (tramadol) and go to the gym, hiking, etc. and I can't do that stoned.

Plus the "side effect" of being stoned, I don't really like.
One thing I've learned in all the medical forums I've read over the years is that everybody is different. It was repeated over, and over. What one can do easily, such as quit smoking, another finds it the most difficult thing in their life. I have no problem hiking, or lifting, stoned. But then the mj I use is not the kind that gives couch lock. I pick a sativa with traits like energetic, creative, and happy which helps. But you have something that works that you are pleased with which is wonderful. You have no need to look for something else, and a doctor that I assume works with you. You are all set.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:42 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,381,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So much money in all of this - the legal drugs, the docs and now billions in the "get you off opiates" industry...and you know what? They don't know things.....if they did, they wouldn't have let it happen. They would KNOW that the current clampdown is a bonus for illegal drugs and fentanyl chemists.
They DO know things but ignore them in the name of $$$$.

This is just one example and very notable because Oxycontin is at the center of the crisis, this started in 1995. Oxycontin is basically synthetic prescription heroin, no two ways about it. It is very effective in treating pain and VERY addictive just like heroin, doctors did not know this (at first) but I bet Purdue Pharma did.

How an American billionaire predicted — and then profited from — an Oxycontin 'prescription blizzard'

Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 858,396 times
People rarely get addicted to opioids in the hospital because they are given to take the edge of off the pain, not eliminate it, and on a strict schedule. You only get one 6 hrs. after the last one. Sometimes it can be pretty difficult to wait for the 6 hrs. when it wears off after 5 hours, but that's the rules. I have enjoyed using opioids to take the edge off the pain in and out of the hospital but have discontinued them as soon as the pain was bearable without them. The last opioid I took was for a gum abscess that was lanced. I only took one and it was heavenly, but as the pain became less I didn't take another.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 PM

31,600 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
One thing I've learned in all the medical forums I've read over the years is that everybody is different. It was repeated over, and over. What one can do easily, such as quit smoking, another finds it the most difficult thing in their life. I have no problem hiking, or lifting, stoned. But then the mj I use is not the kind that gives couch lock. I pick a sativa with traits like energetic, creative, and happy which helps. But you have something that works that you are pleased with which is wonderful. You have no need to look for something else, and a doctor that I assume works with you. You are all set.
Absolutely, and you have my full support on your choice. My husband has a medical card and uses pot for pain control and for sleep problems. He functions fine on it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-29-2019, 05:44 AM

8,184 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ive stopped taking the opiods as the side effects are unacceptable, feeling groggy all morning and a tendency to get car sick on the way to my dialysis sessions, i'll just stick with the tylenol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
NSAIDS have three effects : antipyretic (anti- fever)--anti-inflammatory and pain relief. Tylenol is great for fevers, has zero effect on inflammation and is good for pain in only ~ 1 in 4 pts. If it works for you-- great!...

You already have sever renal failure so you don't have to worry about its effects on the kidneys, and it has little effect in causing stomach ulcers like the other NSAIDS....I've always contended that the side effects of chronic opioid use are much less common and sever than the side effects of chronic NSAID use.

That's because Tylenol is not an NSAID.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:53 AM

10,518 posts, read 2,687,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
They DO know things but ignore them in the name of $$$$.

This is just one example and very notable because Oxycontin is at the center of the crisis, this started in 1995. Oxycontin is basically synthetic prescription heroin, no two ways about it. It is very effective in treating pain and VERY addictive just like heroin, doctors did not know this (at first) but I bet Purdue Pharma did.

How an American billionaire predicted and then profited from an Oxycontin 'prescription blizzard'
How is that any different from what tobacco companies did in the past with cigarettes? It was common at one time to hear smoking was not addictive, heck, even some doctors said smoking certain brands was healthy!

They lied to the public for years and years, but when the truth came out, there was no tough restrictions or laws placed on their sale or use, even though they kill 500K a year!

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 AM

10,518 posts, read 2,687,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
People rarely get addicted to opioids in the hospital because they are given to take the edge of off the pain, not eliminate it, and on a strict schedule. You only get one 6 hrs. after the last one. Sometimes it can be pretty difficult to wait for the 6 hrs. when it wears off after 5 hours, but that's the rules. I have enjoyed using opioids to take the edge off the pain in and out of the hospital but have discontinued them as soon as the pain was bearable without them. The last opioid I took was for a gum abscess that was lanced. I only took one and it was heavenly, but as the pain became less I didn't take another.
Theres nothing wrong with taking opioids, (medicinally or recreationally), if it works for you, take it, whether that be opioids, marijuana, etc! Everyone is different, so naturally people are going to prefer different meds.

I get so sick of seeing opioids being almost demonized by so many people today, they blame 'big pharma' for this of course and think its all about the money, but they dont stop to think that govt cracked down HARD on opioid prescriptions in 2012...if its truly about making money, well, they took the WRONG direction, if you want as many people using your products, generally, you make them as easy to get as possible (not impossible or difficult!). LOL

Old 06-29-2019, 01:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 858,396 times
If you take drugs of any kind it behooves you to know how to use them. What the doctors failed to do was give adequate instructions on their use. I think it's safe to say if an opioid gets you high and gives you a feeling of euphoria, you should stop using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with taking opioids, (medicinally or recreationally), if it works for you, take it, whether that be opioids, marijuana, etc! Everyone is different, so naturally people are going to prefer different meds.

I get so sick of seeing opioids being almost demonized by so many people today, they blame 'big pharma' for this of course and think its all about the money, but they dont stop to think that govt cracked down HARD on opioid prescriptions in 2012...if its truly about making money, well, they took the WRONG direction, if you want as many people using your products, generally, you make them as easy to get as possible (not impossible or difficult!). LOL

Old 06-29-2019, 01:58 PM

23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If you take drugs of any kind it behooves you to know how to use them. What the doctors failed to do was give adequate instructions on their use. I think it's safe to say if an opioid gets you high and gives you a feeling of euphoria, you should stop using it.
Every prescription I pick up at a pharmacy comes with detailed printed information on how to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness