U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 AM

976 posts, read 318,507 times

Advertisements

Constipation became an issue for me out of the blue in my mid-40s. It took years for me to figure out how to address it for my body. I was drinking 100 ounces of water a day and eating 30-50 grams of fiber every day and nothing was 'moving'. The psyllium husk actually made things worse. I tried a ton of different supplements, etc.

Senna tea eventually worked (it took a week though!), but isn't safe for daily use. I finally settled on a pre- and pro-biotic, along with magnesium and mint tea, and I've been fairly regular lately. And my doctor has recommended Miralax and/or Colace should the need arise.

The list is good information thought. I occasionally take ibuprofen/naproxen and I've also had sleep issues and was taking regular bendryl/tylenol pm (which my doctor also wanted me to stop taking if possible). Good to know that they can make things worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Constipation became an issue for me out of the blue in my mid-40s. It took years for me to figure out how to address it for my body. I was drinking 100 ounces of water a day and eating 30-50 grams of fiber every day and nothing was 'moving'. The psyllium husk actually made things worse. I tried a ton of different supplements, etc.

Senna tea eventually worked (it took a week though!), but isn't safe for daily use. I finally settled on a pre- and pro-biotic, along with magnesium and mint tea, and I've been fairly regular lately. And my doctor has recommended Miralax and/or Colace should the need arise.

The list is good information thought. I occasionally take ibuprofen/naproxen and I've also had sleep issues and was taking regular bendryl/tylenol pm (which my doctor also wanted me to stop taking if possible). Good to know that they can make things worse!
Glad you found the combination that works for you, amazing how it's so different for everybody.

I guess some of the meds that list constipation as a possible side effect may contribute to it in those who are already prone to constipation,avoiding those meds if possible, ot taking other measures to control the constipation if the person really needs to take the med.

I've seen constipation listed as a possible side effect for benedryl, and ibuprofen, but have not seen it listed for naproxen. I read somewhere that meds that make your mouth and throat dry (such as benedryl, prescription diuretics) may also be associated with constipation, due to their mode of action (guess they do a good job of drawing out the water fro the colon too?).

Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM

4,704 posts, read 2,547,660 times
Calcium supplements, especially calcium carbonate, can be very constipating.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20047097

Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
There are natural laxitives =
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...r-constipation

Old 06-22-2019, 11:07 AM

31,674 posts, read 19,975,978 times
I think a huge percentage of the population has constipation one time or another, and as you get older constipation increases. I have a constant bad case of it that developed after 50, and I take none of those meds.

I drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and vegetables... nada.

Metamucil type drink seems to help, but only after a couple weeks of taking it daily, or Miralax.

Old people problems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 AM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think a huge percentage of the population has constipation one time or another, and as you get older constipation increases. I have a constant bad case of it that developed after 50, and I take none of those meds.

I drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and vegetables... nada.

Metamucil type drink seems to help, but only after a couple weeks of taking it daily, or Miralax.

Old people problems.
Young people problem also. One has to get control of what is causing the issue. Young people and I was young lived with a lot more stress re: the work force life. Marriage, divorce and raising children, all stress factors in one's life. I've been there.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:17 AM

31,674 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Young people problem also. One has to get control of what is causing the issue. Young people and I was young lived with a lot more stress re: the work force life. Marriage, divorce and raising children, all stress factors in one's life. I've been there.
That's what I said. "I think a huge percentage of the population has constipation one time or another,"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-22-2019, 11:34 AM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's what I said. "I think a huge percentage of the population has constipation one time or another,"
I was addressing your last comment: Old People Problem

Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you're sure your diet is not contributing to the problem, you can try drinking more water. That's a major cause of constipation and a pretty easy fix, especially if you're older.
and lemon water is even better.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was addressing your last comment: Old People Problem
I think the problem, though it can develop at any age, is certainly more common in older people. Remember our system slows down as we get older, our activity level also slows down. thus a bowel problem is just one thing that is inclined to get worse. I am not sure anyone is saying constipation only affects one group and yes, some people have trouble all their lives, other, regardless of age never seem to have any trouble My husband is one of them. He panics if he is even a little irregular. I never had a concern until about the last 10 years. Now, I do have to do whatever I can to remain regular and do have some problems from time to time. I doubt it has much to do with any drugs I take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness