U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 PM

58 posts, read 20,602 times

Advertisements

As a nod to science here- Correlation does not equal causation. So this is a bit silly.

Many things are obviously bad or less good for humans and contribute to their ailments. Some obvious, some not. Surely hope people don't change their diet/habits based solely on city-data group think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 04:50 PM

23,657 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
As a nod to science here- Correlation does not equal causation. So this is a bit silly.

Many things are obviously bad or less good for humans and contribute to their ailments. Some obvious, some not. Surely hope people don't change their diet/habits based solely on city-data group think.
There are a good cross section of thinkers here and why not ....

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-20-2019 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Sure, everything you eat can either feed your health or feed a disease.

There's lots of info on what constitutes a healthy diet.

A Mediterranean diet is often recommended. It's a way of eating that's not-so-hard to stay on as it's varied and delicious.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Common sense tells me what is good for my body young or old. I've learned a lot over my aging years and eliminated foods I believed were causing damage, and stopped all alcohol a few yrs ago and NEVER smoked. I'm 81 soon. I get quality water delivery, drink water all day.
Yet in another thread you criticize a doctor for recommending drinking water for constipation?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 PM

23,657 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Yet in another thread you criticize a doctor for recommending drinking water for constipation?
Where did I say what you say I said? I've never said docs don' t recommend drinking water for constipation......I can't imagine ever saying that. Lead me to that please....

In all the years of ever seeing doctors I don't think I ever heard the word water from any of their mouths.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:40 AM

9,125 posts, read 2,996,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Around here the fat people with diabetes eat mostly fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. Traditional southern foods are real artery cloggers.

Anything made with grain, such as pasta, is high in carbohydrates, the main cause of type II diabetes.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:20 AM

539 posts, read 222,608 times
A young person can get away with lots of things. I remember eating a large caramel roll heated up in the microwave and slathered with butter with a large cup of coffee with sugar dumped in it and some creamer for breakfast everyday when I was in college. I liked to take the coffee spoon and spoon out the sugar sitting in the bottom and sip it. (I used to run a lot to burn off my bad habits). I wouldn't dream of eating like that now. Had I continued that behavior I am sure I would have diabetes now (runs in family) and a host of other problems.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM

9,125 posts, read 2,996,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
A young person can get away with lots of things. I remember eating a large caramel roll heated up in the microwave and slathered with butter with a large cup of coffee with sugar dumped in it and some creamer for breakfast everyday when I was in college. I liked to take the coffee spoon and spoon out the sugar sitting in the bottom and sip it. (I used to run a lot to burn off my bad habits). I wouldn't dream of eating like that now. Had I continued that behavior I am sure I would have diabetes now (runs in family) and a host of other problems.

That sounds just like me, in my teenage years. I calculated that I typically ate about 11,000 calories a day, in high school and gained no fat. I once ate 24 large hamburgers in a half-hour lunch period. There was a famous steak restaurant that advertised if you could eat a 72-oz. steak and the trimmings, you got it for free. I went there with some friends and ate two of the 72-ouncers. But I did put in many hours of very hard exercise. You can imagine how much I ate in the summer, when I worked 8 hours a day, throwing around 180-lb. bales of alfalfa or sacks of wheat. However, if I'd kept eating like that as an adult, exercising or not, I'd probably weigh 400 lbs. I keep my diet below 2,700 calories now, with a minimum of carbohydrates and no saturated animal fat, even though I still work out as hard as ever.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:47 AM

31,613 posts, read 19,939,787 times
I think bad (and probably good) habits have more impact on an older body.

Exercise and diet become more important. For me, lots of veggies, fruits, greens, spices and herbs, small amounts of protein, complex carbs (stay away from simple carbs) works well, along with a lot of exercise. Minimal restaurant or processed foods.

Despite being thin, not smoking and light drinking, if I do not do the above I get high blood pressure and sugar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 AM

539 posts, read 222,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That sounds just like me, in my teenage years. I calculated that I typically ate about 11,000 calories a day, in high school and gained no fat. I once ate 24 large hamburgers in a half-hour lunch period. There was a famous steak restaurant that advertised if you could eat a 72-oz. steak and the trimmings, you got it for free. I went there with some friends and ate two of the 72-ouncers. But I did put in many hours of very hard exercise. You can imagine how much I ate in the summer, when I worked 8 hours a day, throwing around 180-lb. bales of alfalfa or sacks of wheat. However, if I'd kept eating like that as an adult, exercising or not, I'd probably weigh 400 lbs. I keep my diet below 2,700 calories now, with a minimum of carbohydrates and no saturated animal fat, even though I still work out as hard as ever.

That story is awesome! Made me laugh too. I got away with a lot of sugar but certainly not the number of calories you did. My style was to eat a whole cake, not a 72 oz steak. But good work on the 2 steaks! Yeah, we had to change our ways that is for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or