Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM

173 posts, read 120,711 times

Advertisements

Although in good health and have regular check-ups, my feet and lower legs are swelling up so much I can't wear leggings or most of my shoes. My salt intake is very low and I drink about 4 x 16 oz. per day. Wearing compression socks doesn't do much. Because my BP runs very low, I'm not a candidate for prescribed diuretics according to my MD. Suggestions? Maybe an herbal, mild diuretic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog-Mom View Post
Although in good health and have regular check-ups, my feet and lower legs are swelling up so much I can't wear leggings or most of my shoes. My salt intake is very low and I drink about 4 x 16 oz. per day. Wearing compression socks doesn't do much. Because my BP runs very low, I'm not a candidate for prescribed diuretics according to my MD. Suggestions? Maybe an herbal, mild diuretic?
One of the dandelion's common names is ****-en-lit (wet the bed).

I'd look for a local herbalist or maybe a naturopath to advise you on how to use it. In general, while herbs have a benign reputation, taking them in therapeutic doses may have untoward consequences. I don't know of any regarding dandelion, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

The other thing to keep in mind about herbal remedies is that their effectiveness can vary significantly depending on how they are harvested and processed. All OTC preparations may not be equally effective.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:21 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog-Mom View Post
Even though it sounds counter-intuitive, when I asked my GP about some ankle/foot swelling she commented that it can be due to low level dehydration. I don't eat a lot of salt either, don't have any health issues that would cause this. Sure enough, if it becomes noticeable I make a point of drinking more water than I might otherwise and it helps. You might test this out for yourself. Maybe that's not your problem, but a pretty safe thing to try.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 AM

249 posts, read 195,945 times
Water is your best bet if you're looking for something natural. Also, you mention low salt intake, but what about sugar, refined carbs, saturated fats, etc.? They're shown to cause inflammation and swelling. Here's a list of 8 that I think would benefit anyone with edema: https://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...ammation-2.php

Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Works in my life:

https://www.sooperarticles.com/healt...ma-646738.html

Old 06-23-2019, 01:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
With low blood pressure and edema in your legs, is it possible that you have
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome? If you do, diuretics could make your symptoms much worse.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,804 times
Diuretics and low blood pressure are not a good combination. I have very low blood pressure, and I need to stay off of diuretics or I get dizzy spells. I also need to increase my sodium intake - the salt helps absorption.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
I have been trying to control BP since Nov 2018.The doctor has added diuretic furosemide 20mg morning and evening.It is powerful and does nothing to level BP,in the morning my BP jumps to 158/66 and diuretic will take it down in one hour to 103/50-113/55 and will come back to 125/60,evening no better but over time nothing accomplished for quality of life,lightheaded etc.,no solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine