U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 AM

615 posts, read 206,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
American Chinese food is usually pretty high in sugar. That could make you feel unwell.
Didn’t know that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 AM

5,355 posts, read 6,437,231 times
Americanized Chinese food is very oily.
MSG is in almost all processed foods under different names.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:01 AM

3,211 posts, read 1,635,992 times
High in fat and MSG. I avoid it like the plague except for a salad at PF Changs. In China, people eat a little bit with lots of rice whereas Americans do it the opposite. Check out these nutrition facts from PF Changs:

https://www.pfchangs.com/nutrition/menu-nutritionals

Old 06-22-2019, 10:26 AM

806 posts, read 312,859 times
Nothing can ruin a nice meal faster than MSG. I'm especially sensitive. My wife and I went out for Korean food a month ago. Food tasted good and it was good quality meal. Within the hour I can usually tells I've been bombarded with MSG as my ears start tingling and I feel horrible.

Problem is that often times they are marinating their meats overnight in the stuff....

Old 06-22-2019, 11:38 AM

5,355 posts, read 6,437,231 times
Chinese food is not the only place you will find MSG. Chances are very good that most people consume quite a bit of it on a daily basis if they eat any processed food.

Names of ingredients that contain processed free glutamic acid (MSG) *1

Everyone knows that some people react to the food ingredient monosodium glutamate. What many don’t know, is that more than 40 different ingredients contain the chemical in monosodium glutamate (processed free glutamic acid) that causes these reactions. The following list has been compiled over the last 20 years from consumer reports and information provided by manufacturers and food technologists.

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid:

Glutamic acid (E 620) *2
Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
Natrium glutamate
Anything “hydrolyzed”
Any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate
Yeast extract, Torula yeast
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Whey protein
Whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Soy protein
Soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Anything “protein”
Anything “protein fortified”
Soy sauce
Soy sauce extract
Protease
Anything “enzyme modified”
Anything containing “enzymes”
Anything “fermented”
Vetsin
Ajinomoto
Umami
Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid during processing:

Carrageenan (E 407)
Bouillon and broth
Stock
Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
Natural flavor
Maltodextrin
Oligodextrin
Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
Barley malt
Malted barley
Brewer’s yeast
Pectin (E 440)
Malt extract
Seasonings
*1 Glutamic acid found in unadulterated protein does not cause adverse reactions. To cause adverse reactions, the glutamic acid must have been processed /manufactured or come from protein that has been fermented.

*2 E numbers are use in Europe in place of food additive names.

The following are ingredients suspected of containing or creating sufficient processed free glutamic acid to serve as MSG-reaction triggers in HIGHLY SENSITIVE people:

Corn starch
Corn syrup
Modified food starch
Lipolyzed butter fat
Dextrose
Rice syrup
Brown rice syrup
Milk powder
Reduced fat milk (skim; 1%; 2%)
most things “low fat” or “no fat”
anything “enriched”
anything “vitamin enriched”
anything “pasteurized”
Annatto
Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
certain amino acid chelates (Citrate, aspartate, and glutamate are used as chelating agents with mineral supplements.)

Old 06-22-2019, 11:39 AM

11,929 posts, read 20,376,242 times
Chinese is out mainly because of the rice and sugar. Rice sends my blood sugar up to the rafters long term. And without the rice the main dish is lacking, there’s nothing to soak up all the yummy sauce.

Also for speed, veggies are cut in advance, so all they need do is dump and stir. Onions make me sick as a dog, and they’re in everything.

So I make my own. My favorite sauce is the brown sauce. That’s chicken broth, a little brown sugar, a tiny bit of dark sesame oil, soy sauce, and some ginger. Honestly, I use ground powdered ginger. Mix in a little cornstarch to thicken. If you want it sweeter, and you’re using a fruit in the stir fry, like pineapple or orange, use some juice.

Slice up some good beef strips, or chicken and stir fry it, with some chopped veggies of your choice and garlic, add the sauce and cook it. Takes a few minutes. The idea is to not make a boatload of sauce, just to coat the meat and veg. I find with less sauce, I don’t miss the rice. I do sometimes use egg noodles.

Weirdly, proper servings sizes of wheat based starches do not send my glucose to the rafters. I think it’s because of my 100% Northern European heritage.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:22 PM

3,719 posts, read 2,131,470 times
I've never had that problem with Chinese food. I try to eat the most authentic Chinese food that I can find. I try to avoid the Chinese food that is more Americanized.

However, in recent years, I have tried to cut soy from my diet, so I'm rarely eating Chinese food now. Soy is really bad.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:31 PM

1,068 posts, read 817,410 times
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

Quote:
However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.
https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additi...-glutamate-msg

Quote:
Has FDA received any adverse event reports associated with MSG?

Over the years, FDA has received reports of symptoms such as headache and nausea after eating foods containing MSG. However, we were never able to confirm that the MSG caused the reported effects.

These adverse event reports helped trigger FDA to ask the independent scientific group Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) to examine the safety of MSG in the 1990s. FASEB’s report concluded that MSG is safe. The FASEB report identified some short-term, transient, and generally mild symptoms, such as headache, numbness, flushing, tingling, palpitations, and drowsiness that may occur in some sensitive individuals who consume 3 grams or more of MSG without food. However, a typical serving of a food with added MSG contains less than 0.5 grams of MSG. Consuming more than 3 grams of MSG without food at one time is unlikely.
I'm with the 'oil/spice/sugar' crowd. Try another Chinese restaurant or a dish that isn't as oily.

What are you eating that makes you feel ill? One thing you could try is have someone make you three separate servings of white rice; one with no salt, one with table salt and one with MSG. If you could double-blind test it, that would be great.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 466,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Something I've noticed is there's something about Chinese food that always makes me feel kind of ill, nothing major just kind of bad, and it seemingly doesn't matter what I get.
Some Chinese foods seems to have a lot of MSG in it (and "no MSG" signs mean nothing). It's in it. But in higher amounts than in chip, crackers, cookies etc.

And of course, MSG may or not be related to your issue.

Lots of oils in Chinese foods. Sodium, sugar.

I would just eliminate it b/c it makes you feel the way it goes.

Seriously, have you tried Korean? Japanese? Very delicious and healthier.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 929,655 times
Mega doses of Sodium and MSG. Eat it very infrequently or not at all if it bothers you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or