Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times

Advertisements

Well, I have an appointment on Tuesday. I think that counts as sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Today when I was applying some lotion, I felt a hard, spherical, slightly mobile, painless, approximately 1” lump just above my collar bone, close to my neck. I did not feel surprised to find it — it felt familiar somehow, as if I had felt it many times before without thinking too much about it. On a whim though, I double-checked the other side and was surprised to find there was no lump there.

My thinking is that this is a swollen or infected lymph node. But I am feeling perfectly fine and have no other symptoms. I wouldn’t really think much more about it, except that:

1) I know swollen lymph nodes in the neck can be the first sign of lymphoma and
2) Two years ago I came off of a 1 1/2 year treatment with an immunosuppressant which is known to raise one’s risk of lymphoma.

So, should I go to the doctor ASAP to get this checked out? Or should I wait 2-4 weeks to see whether this lump goes away on its own (as it recommended online)?
I would recommend you get that examined. I had lymphoma that was successully treated....sooner treated the better.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
I've had that come and go (thus, they were nothing) but anything that feels wrong to you should always be checked out by a physician. Do you have any other symptoms?

Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I've had that come and go (thus, they were nothing) but anything that feels wrong to you should always be checked out by a physician. Do you have any other symptoms?
No, I don’t. And to be honest, that’s what’s worrying me a little bit. I mean, if I were sick, I could always chalk the swollen node to the illness. Also, nodes that are swollen due to infection are typically tender or painful, relatively soft and bilateral, but hard, painless nodes on one side of the body only (what I have) are more associated with malignancy.

And, finally, my lump is large. I said 1 inch in the OP, but I measured it last night and it is larger — about 3cm in one dimension, at least. The larger the node, the more suspicious for malignancy.

But again I have an appointment really soon. At this point, I am feeling more curious than worried. Really, it could be anything.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Jill: Please come back and tell us the diagnosis !

Old 06-24-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Jill: Please come back and tell us the diagnosis !
Thanks, I definitely will.

Since the lump is visible, I realized I could go back and look at old pictures to see how long I’ve had it. I’ve definitely had it for at least 10 months and possibly as long as 3-4 years. I’m not really sure about the 3-4 years. In photos that far back I think I can still see it, but it looks smaller. It starts looking the size it is now about 10 months ago.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:02 AM

I saw my PCP this morning. He agreed that the lump was indeed a swollen lymph node and that it was suspicious for lymphoma. He referred me to a hematologist for further testing. I asked if there was any chance that it could be something besides lymphoma or another malignancy — if the nodes could have swollen due to infection, then hardened and remained swollen for so long? He said that it was possible with “certain kinds of infection,” but that I really needed to see a hematologist. He told me not to worry too much because most kind of lymphoma are highly treatable, even curable nowadays.

He had his office staff call the hematologist he recommended and set up an appointment for me. When I protested that the appointment fell on a really bad day for me, they said: “You have to cancel your other plans. The doctor says you need to be seen ASAP.” Great.

We will see ... I have, in the past, been absolutely sure I had malignancy only to find out it was nothing serious. Hopefully, that will be the case this time too.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I'm so glad you got in to see your PCP so quickly and didn't play the waiting game. Time is truly of the essence in a situation like yours. Hopefully it's something that will be easily and quickly resolved and not lymphoma.

Sending you best wishes and positive vibes. And keep us posted!

Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,025 times
You might also want to see a GI Doc, in addition to the Hematologist, if you are having any GI symptoms along with this. If that takes too long to arrange, just go get the biopsy done. That will give you an answer much faster.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
He didn't order an ultrasound of it? Is it in the front of the neck? I had something very similar, low, front/side of neck. It was my thyroid (not cancer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness