U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 01:15 PM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times

Advertisements

Let's talk about eyestrain. The subject comes up frequently in these forums and since I've worked as an ophthalmic technician and optician more than 15 years, I have literally seen and heard it all and thought I'd throw out some handy tips to help my posters with a very common problem.

1. Wear glasses. It seems obvious, but you won't believe how many people need them (40 somethings, I'm talking to you,) and refuse to wear them because of vanity. If you need them, buy them, then wear them. Contrary to popular belief, glasses don't improve your coffee table's vision

2. Blink. People tend to stare when reading, especially when reading their electronic devices. Make a conscious effort to blink your eyes, take your eyes off the page, and look off in the distance. This relaxes the ciliary muscle that helps you accommodate for near vision and revives the tear film.

3. Add the antireflective treatment to the glasses you're buying tomorrow. It's not just a money grab opticians are selling; it really reduces eyestrain when you're reading and doing everything else. I promise.

4. Put the blue light filter or blue shade on your devices all the time. You can adjust this under settings. It changes the color on your device and makes it look strange for a bit, but power through that because it reduces eyestrain considerably.

5.Reduce screen brightness on your devices. See #4.

6. Use artificial tears if you have dry eye. Untreated dry eye can make eyestrain way harder to deal with.

7. Get an eye exam each year. Once again, not a money grab, but we need to check your eye health (which includes testing you for vision threatening eye diseases that have no symptoms.

I hope these tips helped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 01:51 PM

9,741 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Let's talk about eyestrain. The subject comes up frequently in these forums and since I've worked as an ophthalmic technician and optician more than 15 years, I have literally seen and heard it all and thought I'd throw out some handy tips to help my posters with a very common problem.

1. Wear glasses. It seems obvious, but you won't believe how many people need them (40 somethings, I'm talking to you,) and refuse to wear them because of vanity. If you need them, buy them, then wear them. Contrary to popular belief, glasses don't improve your coffee table's vision

2. Blink. People tend to stare when reading, especially when reading their electronic devices. Make a conscious effort to blink your eyes, take your eyes off the page, and look off in the distance. This relaxes the ciliary muscle that helps you accommodate for near vision and revives the tear film.

3. Add the antireflective treatment to the glasses you're buying tomorrow. It's not just a money grab opticians are selling; it really reduces eyestrain when you're reading and doing everything else. I promise.

4. Put the blue light filter or blue shade on your devices all the time. You can adjust this under settings. It changes the color on your device and makes it look strange for a bit, but power through that because it reduces eyestrain considerably.

5.Reduce screen brightness on your devices. See #4.

6. Use artificial tears if you have dry eye. Untreated dry eye can make eyestrain way harder to deal with.

7. Get an eye exam each year. Once again, not a money grab, but we need to check your eye health (which includes testing you for vision threatening eye diseases that have no symptoms.

I hope these tips helped!
Thanks for the tips. They do point out things those of us who don't work in the field of opthalmology probably would not have thought about.

I just wanted to mention an experience my husband had about a year ago, related to several tips on your list. He had pain in one eye along with a foreign body sensation that got worse over several days. He went to see an optomotrist at the VA clinic he attends for his health care ( optomotrists are primary opthalmologist care providers there), who informed him he had a corneal ulcer just below the iris, and gave him a combination of prescription eyedrops to treat it ( can't recall what they were). DH took the drops as instructed, but the pain didn't resolve itself by the time of his return appointment. He thought perhaps that was because the eyedrops he got were not the right ones to treat his problem, but the optometrist informed him that the first ulcer had healed, but the pain was from a second ulcer that had developed in another location in that eye. So he got another round of eyedrops, including some prednisone drops this time as the cultures taken of his eye showed the problem was not due to either a bacterial or fungal infection. His eye was completely better by the time of his third appointment.

The optomotrist informed my husband that he also had some dry eye, and that this could be associated with the development of corneal ulceration in those who didn't keep some moisture going in their affected eye ( as in eyedrops or tears). He said they saw this happen not infrequently in people who stared at computer/phone/tablet or other commercial devices, for hours at a time. He said the eyes tended to become dry as people concentrated on their screens and didn't blink often enough to keep their eyes moist.

He recommended a number of things you mention in your tips, including taking breaks to blink, the use of the blue filter on the screen, dimming the light some, and the generous use of eyedrops if one has dry eye, or they get irritated.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:53 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,067,962 times
Thank you for this. I know a number of people who should read it. People really balk at the annual exam for some unknown reason - they think I'm crazy because I go every year without fail. I have a family history of glaucoma and I'm not taking any chances. I'll remember your points and bring them into conversation as I can.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:11 PM

1,319 posts, read 642,453 times
People just don`t realize how important their eyes are....

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

16,436 posts, read 16,534,546 times
Adjusting the settings on my computer has done more to take the strain off of my eyes than anything else. Turned the blue way down and also keep the brightness way down. I noticed the difference immediately.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

23,633 posts, read 8,219,173 times
My remedies are:

Vit C
Grape Seed Extract
Lutein and/or Bilberry caps
Crystalline Eye Drops to prevent cataracts
Similasn homeopathic drops for dry eyes

I wear glasses both reading and distance.
Sunglasses always outside.

My eyes are in good condition and no doc visits like I did for decades. Before I did all the above. And definitely BLINK.

Old Today, 06:58 AM

227 posts, read 245,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
People really balk at the annual exam for some unknown reason - they think I'm crazy because I go every year without fail.
Spoken like someone who has money or health insurance or both.

Old Today, 07:52 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,067,962 times
Medicare covers all but $55. That's $55 well spent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness