Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new GP in the Miami/South Miami/Coral Gables/Dadeland/Pinecrest area. I'm researching approximately 6 doctors after filtering in/out things in my search. They are about half and half MD vs DO.

1. What is the best one to go with all other things being equal?

2. How do the 2 types of doctors work? What do they do the same and different with the patient?

3. Are they both Medical Doctors?

4. Anything else I should know to make a decision?

Many Thanks! SB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'm looking for a new GP in the Miami/South Miami/Coral Gables/Dadeland/Pinecrest area. I'm researching approximately 6 doctors after filtering in/out things in my search. They are about half and half MD vs DO.

2. How do the 2 types of doctors work? What do they do the same and different with the patient?

Many Thanks! SB
I can answer a bit..I've had two at the same time of many years. The D.O. I had for my back for many years also finally got me on thyroid support which about 5 docs over 10 yrs could not do. He did no labs but he knew. He was from old school and all those are gone. He was real GOLD.

Today's DO's are medical doctors but maybe just a bit less schooling and SOME still do bodywork but today's group of D.O.'s do not but maybe your area has them. The ones in my area do not accept Medicare but they are very good at everything and do bodywork. Many D.O.'s can be open to alternative therapies.

Now regular MD's, aka allopathic doctors...mostly have closed minds to any alternatives but can be OK for drugs and surgery referrals etc.

Depends what you want or need. But I'd venture to say most D.O.'s today do NOT do bodywork. I've had chiro work most of my life, similar to what D.O.'s do, and many incorporate different modalities in their work...cranial work and others.

I'm very fond of my integrative MD's and the one I've seen for the last 8 yrs or so, she and her associate MD both have taken my Medicare. So I can't imagine leaving them.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I can relate my experiences but I would look at reviews or ask for recommendations from other patients. DOs and MDs worked together where I used to live (Missouri) and seemed not to notice or have any bias or attitude that would imply they didn't get along. I had two DOs as PCPs over 30+ years and I couldn't tell any difference and didn't have any complaints. I had more problems with doctors of different disciplines not agreeing (Neurosurgeons and Orthopedic surgeons, for example).

After moving 1,000 miles I have a PCP who is an MD and he has found some fault, in a very professional manner, with the medical advice and prescribed medications that I have been taking. He doesn't know that the previous doctors were DOs but has stopped some medications and warned me about some OTC drugs I was told to take every day. My current doctor is actually the first I've had that spends a fair amount of time with me and actually asks and listens and responds to my concerns. The difference might easily be due to a difference in medical practice over a few decades and my current doctor is a fairly young man. I outlived the two DOs that I once had. (Scary, I know.)

Old 07-17-2018, 04:51 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

Many Thanks! SB
Here's a pretty good summary of the reported differences between MDs and DO's.

https://myheart.net/articles/md-vs-do/

I've gone to both MDs and DOs, and can't say I've seen much difference in each's general approach to medicine and care of their patients. I'd have to say that any differences came more from these doctors as individuals than their medical school training. Although the DO medical school training reportedly puts more emphasis on "holistic" practices than does an MD medical school ( but even that could vary with each medical school), graduates from each type of medical school go through the same residencies and fellowships, and other training for specialties. So their training is from the same sources once they get out of medical school. Both MDs and DOs are medical doctors.

Currently my primary care doc, opthalmologist, and a surgeon I have seen are DOs. My cardiologist is an MD, but another guy in his office is a DO. I've had positive experiences from all of them.

In your shoes, I'd probably choose a primary care physician based more on his/her fit with your needs and personality, experience and post medical school training, rather than whether he/she is an MD or a DO.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
At this point in time, there is absolutely no difference. It's like asking the difference between a dentist that is a DMD vs a dentist that is a DDS. Their school just gave out a different degree.

You can have a DO that did an MD residency and vice versa. Find a doctor that you like and don't worry about the degree.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

In your shoes, I'd probably choose a primary care physician based more on his/her fit with your needs and personality, experience and post medical school training, rather than whether he/she is an MD or a DO.
In the end, I think it comes down to this statement above. For primary care fields, and/or for a medical or surgical specialty where they have been trained in an allopathic (MD) program, I think there is very little difference between an MD and a DO now. It usually comes down to the individual practitioner.

Just to slightly clarify some of the statements in previous posts, DO's are not technically Medical Doctors. They are Doctors of Osteopathy. Both MD's and DO's are physicians, however, which I think is the question you are asking, OP.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-17-2018 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Now days, like mentioned there is very little difference. It is more where they attended medical school than anything else. I have had both in the past 5 years and actually been happier with my DO but not because he is better, just because of personality. I do think DOs are still inclined to prescribe fewer drugs, but that is just opinion. To find who to see, ask friends and check the net.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Another anecdotal experience. A smallish town I used to live in had a DO provider who was the well-regarded "family practice" PCP. Most of my coworkers recommended her and I found her great too. She was well informed, usually presented a range of treatment approaches for specific problems. Whether it had anything to do with the degree or whether it was her experience and personality would be hard to say.

I have to say sometimes living in a small town (I mean SMALL) isn't always a bad thing in terms of health care. There are few providers, but there are also fewer clients. The one or two who can stay in business end up being more experienced with alternatives because pretty much everyone uses them for a wide range of issues, and they demand more care choices. The provider either gets informed/experienced or they lose the business entirely. A business no one will use is going to fail very quickly in a small town.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-18-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 03:59 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
A DO gets all the training that an MD does, plus typically extra training to do manipulation. Some DOs do manipulation only, others incorporate into their practice, and others do none.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Just thinking about this subject and the wonderful D.O. I had for some 30 yrs who took care of my back and also FOUND that I needed thyroid support when the group of MD's I was seeing failed me for 10 miserable years. He was from the Old time school of D.O's.. and I would often be in his office for an hour or so and talk about the good care and so so much less costs for his work.

Today, is another story and I'm back to seeing a D.O. for body work every 3-4 weeks but he doesn't work with other issues....he chooses not to and I'm probably on his table 30 minutes and Medicare pays for his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness