U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Yes I had it done. But I might need surgery again someday and I want to know if anyone else has had experience with other countries like Lithuania. I just heard a bout a woman who died getting lipo in the Dominican republic. Would never go to a country like that for surgery.
Sounds like OP is worrying about something that may never be needed. I speak from my own experience since I'm working with my knee and no surgery.

A friend finally decided to do the HA series of injections and just did her 2nd session the other day and she's getting pretty good results, I never did and I tried them many yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM

422 posts, read 89,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK how you came upon Lithuania, but I've heard Thailand is quite good in the surgery-for-Westerners field.
I was googling foreign countries for surgery and saw Lithuania as a good alternative. It's a developed country. I've heard about people going to India - but it is not a developed county.Thailand is classified as a developing country too. I would not go to place like that for surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sounds like OP is worrying about something that may never be needed. I speak from my own experience since I'm working with my knee and no surgery.
Lots of people need some kind of surgery as the age. I don't know how many people I know who have had rotator cuff surgery. LOTS. The AC joint in my other shoulder is giving me problems - it's from 25 years of lifting weights. Bench press and even push-ups are hard on the AC joints.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 AM

10,718 posts, read 21,370,380 times
Quote:
https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-...waiting-lists/

That's a guy in Wales. 50 week wait time for knee replacement!! I am in the US and I had to wait almost 4 months for surgery on my 5th degree separated shoulder. I was in so much pain that I missed 2 months of work. I went to 4 doctors but no one would agree to do the surgery quickly. I am wondering if next time I need surgery should I consider Lithuania of some other country?
The only country I'd go to would be Germany for spine surgery. They're way more advanced then the US. I had a lumbar spinal fusion that failed, then met a gal that had 3 or more levels done in Germany using a flexible disk. She was walking and sitting down like she never had spine issues. It cost her under $10,000 total

Old 07-12-2019, 11:59 AM

9,398 posts, read 6,272,061 times
As I said earlier. no way in Hell would I leave the US for elective surgery

Also, don't forget, even if you make this bad decision, Medicare doesn't cover it (if that's applicable)

Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,283,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Also, don't forget, even if you make this bad decision, Medicare doesn't cover it (if that's applicable)
You'd also be hard pressed to find a surgeon at home who would be willing to deal with any complications that might arise, perform a revision etc.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:26 PM

10,522 posts, read 8,770,706 times
An operation for a separated shoulder? I had one playing football in HS. The team doctor came over, but me in some kind of wrestling hold and popped it back into place.

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

422 posts, read 89,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
An operation for a separated shoulder? I had one playing football in HS. The team doctor came over, but me in some kind of wrestling hold and popped it back into place.
That's a dislocated shoulder. Separations can't be popped back in because the ligaments have been either stretched (in 1st and 2nd degree separations) or broken (in 3rd-6th degree separations).

Old Today, 09:41 AM

71,987 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
I was googling foreign countries for surgery and saw Lithuania as a good alternative. It's a developed country. I've heard about people going to India - but it is not a developed county.Thailand is classified as a developing country too. I would not go to place like that for surgery.

Lots of people need some kind of surgery as the age. I don't know how many people I know who have had rotator cuff surgery. LOTS. The AC joint in my other shoulder is giving me problems - it's from 25 years of lifting weights. Bench press and even push-ups are hard on the AC joints.
I think your situation makes many of us, who have been through similar pains wonder why in Gods Green earth would you even consider something like that? If for no other reason, have you thought about the expense of getting there and staying there through the healing process? What happens if there are complications? are you going to stay forever or fly back to see your surgeon again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or